TBN / Bob DiCesare: Bills Froze at the Gonzalez table

SKOOBY

Two NFL sources say the Bills offered a third-round draft pick for Gonzalez. Sources also say that Peterson refused to budge off his asking price, reported to be a No. 2 and a No. 5. If he was going to part with the face of the franchise it would be for what he considered commensurate return.

The Bills declined to meet the price. It took them two No. 1s, a No. 2, a No. 3 and a No. 5 to get the quarterback they were after. But they wouldn’t spend a No. 2 and a No. 5 on a Hall of Fame tight end capable of maximizing that quarterback’s talents while simultaneously diverting attention from the wideout they just signed to a lucrative extension. Look at it this way: Gonzalez could have been a Bill for the premium they paid to acquire Losman.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/463948.html

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Tony G, but you overpay on a young player with potential (like JP), not on a player who's looking forward to retirement.

If there's someone who's screwed up this deal, it's Peterson. He should have been happy with a third rounder and freeing up the cap space to sign more people next offseason. Hell he probably could have negotiated a third rounder that bumps up to second if certain milestones were reached by Tony. Credit to the Bills for having a plan and sticking with it, not getting desperate and going above what they wanted.

Two NFL sources say the Bills offered a third-round draft pick for Gonzalez. Sources also say that Peterson refused to budge off his asking price, reported to be a No. 2 and a No. 5. If he was going to part with the face of the franchise it would be for what he considered commensurate return.

The Bills declined to meet the price. It took them two No. 1s, a No. 2, a No. 3 and a No. 5 to get the quarterback they were after. But they wouldn’t spend a No. 2 and a No. 5 on a Hall of Fame tight end capable of maximizing that quarterback’s talents while simultaneously diverting attention from the wideout they just signed to a lucrative extension. Look at it this way: Gonzalez could have been a Bill for the premium they paid to acquire Losman.

I agree with the other comments. If this was the price, I'm glad we "froze" My guess is we were hoping to trade the third and then get the 4th for McCargo so that the net loss was not as bad. I wish KC would have taken the deal but in the end I'm glad we stuck to our guns. Many people speculate that next years draft class will be exceptional because agents are encouraging Juniors to come out early to avoid a possible rookie salary cap after their Senior year.

If this was the asking price and the Chiefs really wouldn't budge off of it I'm glad the Bills declined.

Yeap. The team that made the mistake here was KC. Obviously they overpriced Gonzalez as they had no one willing to pay the price for an aging, past his prime, TE. He would have helped the Bills but he's not worth a 2nd rounder - particularly after not being in training camp this year. He would have taken most of this year just getting used to the offense the Bills run.

KC is going nowhere fast - they should have taken what they could have gotten for Gonzalez. He'll be retired before that franchise is back in the playoffs.

With Bledsoe aging, the Bills peddled draft picks again to get the player they had determined to be their next QB. This time the price was exorbitant, with their second-and fifth-round picks in 2004 and a first-rounder in ’05 going to Dallas for the right to select J. P. Losman. It made little sense, but Tom Donahoe pulled the trigger anyway and assured one and all that the franchise had not overpaid.

But the Bills had missed the mark, of course, and it became abundantly clear in 2007, when Trent Edwards, the quarterback they selected in the third round of that year’s draft, came in and eventually won the starting job. The Bills finally had their franchise QB. What it cost them, cumulatively speaking, was two No. 1s, a No. 2, a No. 3 and a No. 5.

He is being a little misleading. The draft stats he uses are for 3 QB's The QB position is the most important on the field. At the time they traded for Bledsoe he looked like the real deal and I don't know but this guy probably didn't criticize them then. Also, that's under a different regime.

A second and fifth is close to what I would've paid but I probably would have stuck to a 3rd rounder too. I can understand those who will criticize the FO for this because it's close but I still agree with the FO here.

I agree with you on this one! Just look at the trade Buffalo did make yesterday. I was a FIRST ROUNDER they shipped off to Indy for the secret undisclosed draft pick based on lazy McCargo's production. Nothing makes sense when teams are judging draft picks. If Peterson would have offered TG to Brandon for McCargo AND a 4th round pick, Brandon would have jumped all over that trade. But at the same time, Russ would not offer a future 2nd round pick who could end up being another miss just like McCargo. And I cannot emphasize this point enough, Buffalo gave up an extra draft pick to get back into the first round to draft McCargo. Here's the scariest part of this trade to Indy....Brandon made the trade with Bill Polian. Based on Polian's record, we can expect to see McCargo in the Pro Bowl a year or two from now, while TG retires as a Kansas City Chief or with another team he ends up getting traded to next year, now that Brandon has officially given up on getting him. When Russ became CEO or whatever his actual title is, he should have given himself one rule never to break, DO NOT TRADE WITH BILL POLIAN.

The real loser in this is so very obviously the Chiefs. They will get nothing for TG now, nothing. Peterson decided to be stubborn and his team will pay for it for years to come. This was a lot opportunity for KC, to be sure.

It's not fair for Bob DiCesare to compare the JP Losman trade-up with what the Chiefs were looking for. Is the package they paid for Losman high? Obviously, but it's not an unreasonable package to pay for the guy you think is the QB of your future. Teams pay the right price and whiff all of the time.

With Bledsoe aging, the Bills peddled draft picks again to get the player they had determined to be their next QB. This time the price was exorbitant, with their second-and fifth-round picks in 2004 and a first-rounder in ’05 going to Dallas for the right to select J. P. Losman. It made little sense, but Tom Donahoe pulled the trigger anyway and assured one and all that the franchise had not overpaid.

But the Bills had missed the mark, of course, and it became abundantly clear in 2007, when Trent Edwards, the quarterback they selected in the third round of that year’s draft, came in and eventually won the starting job. The Bills finally had their franchise QB. What it cost them, cumulatively speaking, was two No. 1s, a No. 2, a No. 3 and a No. 5.

He is being a little misleading. The draft stats he uses are for 3 QB's The QB position is the most important on the field. At the time they traded for Bledsoe he looked like the real deal and I don't know but this guy probably didn't criticize them then. Also, that's under a different regime.

A second and fifth is close to what I would've paid but I probably would have stuck to a 3rd rounder too. I can understand those who will criticize the FO for this because it's close but I still agree with the FO here.

The guy that wrote that is obviously not a math major. The Bills gave up a #1, #2, & #5 to draft Losman. They SWAPPED #1's with Dallas, & paid the price of #2 & #5 to do so.

It should be noted the regime that traded the farm to get Losman is no longer in power.

As I pointed out yesterday, every player the Bills drafted in the 2nd since 2000 (a heinousness draft in whole) went on to have a good (although sometimes abbreviated) NFL career.

I'm glad they didn't offer more.

The Losman comparison is virtually irrelevant. Different management and I wouldn't exactly say that the deal has worked out in the long run. If it did even cross their mind, the Losman thing probably deterred them from making a bigger deal. Doubt it made a difference though.

DiCesare's posts get more idiotic by the day.

The Bills made two really bad moves trying to get a QB. Because of that they should try to make a similar move to acquire a TE? Seriously, does that make sense to anyone?

Those trades for Bledsoe and Losman set the team back, arguably for years. They're a large part of why TD is in charge of the Bills anymore.

So let's do it again!

Now, I think you can argue that the Bills should have traded for Gonzalez for a 2 and a 5 (I wouldn't but you could). But to use the logic that the Bills made two bold moves that blew up in their face as a reason to do isn't a very good argument. Of course, I wouldn't expect much more out of Dicesare than that.