Are we getting out game-planned?

It seems the last 3 weeks we have gotten out game-planned going into the game. Fortunately against OAK and STL we made adjustments and recovered. But those two offenses suck and let the Bills hang around. If these coaches dont do a better job of game-planning against good to great offenses we will never have a chance to comeback. And most of the games left are against average or better offenses. I would have to say perfect timing for this bye week mostly cuz Edwards concussion but the coaches need to get their s**t together.

It seems the last 3 weeks we have gotten out game-planned going into the game. Fortunately against OAK and STL we made adjustments and recovered. But those two offenses suck and let the Bills hang around. If these coaches dont do a better job of game-planning against good to great offenses we will never have a chance to comeback. And most of the games left are against average or better offenses. I would have to say perfect timing for this bye week mostly cuz Edwards concussion but the coaches need to get their s**t together.

This is the perfect time for the coaching staff to hunker down, study film and come up with both offensive and defensive adjustments. The good news is that the Bills lost to an NFC team and have the bye week to regroup. I'm just as PO'd as everyone else about the Cards game, but let's give Jauron and the staff some credit and see what they come up with against SD.

I have also felt that about the game plan on both sides of the ball for weeks now, but it takes a sound butt kicking to see that other people thought so too. It looks more like a team growing more and more unsure of its self. I know this team is good, and I like the winning regardless of how pretty, or what team they beat, but some serious fixes need to be put in place or we are heading towards a long season as we head into the tough part of the schedule.

Pat Kirwain mentioned on nfl radio that the bills are a team that tries to out execute their opponents, not out gameplan them. I think he is right on they money. Buffalo on a week to week basis is consistant in what it does on both sides of the ball. The down side of this approach is that is it easy to prepare for them. The advantage is the Bills do not make many mistakes, Sunday being the exception. I think on Sunday the bills were outcoached. Warner attacked our cover two with short to mid range passes. They also avoided our blitzes with well timed runs and screens. On defense, they played like most teams do with the lead, they put pressure on Losman. Overall however, I think the bills are a well coached team.

yeah the good thing is we got two weeks, look at where we've been and adjust what we are not doing well. We can also add new wrinkes to keep or stuff fresh.

How does our first half records compare to the second half recordd? in the past Jauron season? I'm too lazt to look it up right now.

Pat Kirwain mentioned on nfl radio that the bills are a team that tries to out execute their opponents, not out gameplan them. I think he is right on they money. Buffalo on a week to week basis is consistant in what it does on both sides of the ball. The down side of this approach is that is it easy to prepare for them. The advantage is the Bills do not make many mistakes, Sunday being the exception. I think on Sunday the bills were outcoached. Warner attacked our cover two with short to mid range passes. They also avoided our blitzes with well timed runs and screens. On defense, they played like most teams do with the lead, they put pressure on Losman. Overall however, I think the bills are a well coached team.

Welcome aboard.

I think that's a fair assessment from Kirwan, but I don't know how well the Bills are from a coaching perspective.

Every coach in the league has been out-coached from time to time. Belichick couldn't stop Miami a few weeks ago. The Giants were thrashed in their first two games last season. I'm sure Vince Lombardi was out-coached at some point.

What's scary is that Buffalo is out coached on a more regular basis. The Denver and Dallas games last year were abominations, and already this season the Bills have struggled against poor opponents. Many on this board were upset when people mentioned problems during the wins. Those issues were exploited on Sunday, and DJ must correct them. Sometimes out-executing opponents isn't enough, especially when that opponent has more talent on the field. It takes a solid plan and execution, particularly when you don't have as much talent. That's why DJ wins 44% of his games.

If DJ and his staff cannot succeed with their current roster, they won't-ever.

The St. Louis game was a complete aberration. There were about 6-7 plays ran by the offense that were big time calls in the perfect spot that didn't go our way. A few throws to Hardy, a couple Peters' holds, ect. that game should of been over in the 1st quarter but we just didn't execute. That game, in my opinion, was coached fine by Buffalo.

Everyone relax...the Bills lost one game, on the road, to a NFC team...you may think the coaches got outsmarted, for a few weeks now, but they have won 4 of 5 games. It happens sometimes. Those Super Bowl teams of the early 90's were sure to lay down at one or two regular season stinkers every year too. No slam at JP at all, but don't you think losing Edwards three plays into the game played a little bit of a factor? Give the Bills coaches credit for the last three wins, as long as you are writing them off for their one loss. They did a great job of making halftime adjustments in the previous three weeks. So, are they crummy coaches now? IMO, Perry Fewell calls a good game, about 75% of the time. That other 25% he gets a little too cute and clever. I think he outsmarted himself this past Sunday...

If someone had told you in August, the Bills would be 4-1 at the bye week, I bet 90% of us would have been pleased as sh-- (every crowd is made up of at least 10% killjoys and dicks). So the Bills got ripped apart by good home team in the Cardinals! It is one game! Did you we think they were going to win every game? Other NFL teams (except maybe the Lions and the Texans) have talent too!

I admit, wathcing the defense get dink and dunked for four quarters sucked. But, it just happens sometimes. If the Bills were going to lose a game this year, this one was as harmless as it gets, in relation to their playoff asperations. If the Bills come out and crap the bed against the Chargers and the Dolphins, I would be a little more concerned. It seems like we have gotton so conditioned to losing, it is the only way we fans know sometimes...

It does seem like we are getting out-planned, at times, and until now we have been able to compensate. While our offense may be versatile in that it spreads the ball around, it doesn't appear to be versatile in terms of overall philosophy. And as far as defense, the coaches didn't even seem to want to adjust to the Cardinals plan of attack. Or maybe they tried, but couldn't. As all of us I'm sure did, I was just sitting there thinking, "so, when are they going to blitz for serious?"

And, to agree with the above, while JP is certainly not to blame for losing on Sunday, Edwards being injured certainly did not help. It just deflates your spirit to see your team's "savior" for lack of a better word go down like a rag doll on the third play from scrimmage.

And, to agree with the above, while JP is certainly not to blame for losing on Sunday, Edwards being injured certainly did not help. It just deflates your spirit to see your team's "savior" for lack of a better word go down like a rag doll on the third play from scrimmage.

I don't buy this as an excuse. Even after the fumbled handoff, and after the defense gave up three consecutive TD drives, the score of the game was 24-17 late in the 3rd quarter. I don't think the Bills' "spirit" was deflated -- I just think they were outplayed by a motivated team that executed flawlessly.

I don't buy this as an excuse. Even after the fumbled handoff, and after the defense gave up three consecutive TD drives, the score of the game was 24-17 late in the 3rd quarter. I don't think the Bills' "spirit" was deflated -- I just think they were outplayed by a motivated team that executed flawlessly.
A very fair point in your second sentence, but note, though, that I said it "didn't help" - I did not mean to say that it "caused the loss" - my choice of words was bad. Anyway, you never want to see one of your own go down like that.

And I will certainly agree that they were outplayed.

When your defensive game plan each week is to bend but don't break, I don't see the difficulty in out-game planning that scheme. My dog could march a team of kittens down the field against that philosophy. The idea is that, come 2nd half, we make adjustments and execute. I saw that the first 4 weeks, but not against Arizona. I doubt DJ allows that to ever happen again....... by doubt I mean hope, pray, and put it on the top of my x-mas list........

watching the team and plays that showed up for the Seattle game, and comparing it to the gameplan of the Radiers, Rams and Arizona games, it almost seems like the coaching staff was trying to win on a "bare-bones" gameplan. like they didnt want to show too much against these weaker teams this early in the season.

i dont know.

i just wonder where all those great defensive calls went. where all the blitzes went. who knows?

watching the team and plays that showed up for the Seattle game, and comparing it to the gameplan of the Radiers, Rams and Arizona games, it almost seems like the coaching staff was trying to win on a "bare-bones" gameplan. like they didnt want to show too much against these weaker teams this early in the season.

i dont know.

i just wonder where all those great defensive calls went. where all the blitzes went. who knows?

I thought that as well, on offense and defense. Could be wishful thinking but I really hope that it was a Master Plan scheme, one designed to win the season and not just win game by game.

It seems to me that we were able to turn things around late in games because they have Trent go into his 2 and 4 minute drill where he reads quickly what the defense is giving him the chance to audible and makes quick passes on three step drops ala St. Louis (the whole freakin game) which sets up the run for Jackson and Lynch.

We would benefit from using that drill and no-huddle earlier in games to establish a rhythm and prevent the more exotic defenses and blitzes we tend to face when taking the traditional amount of time to call plays. When we do that, teams tend to overload the box and blitz which creates stops behind the line, or forces Trent to unload the ball to the sideline. When we are in our 2-minute drill we force teams into their various nickle packages and prevent D-Line rotation which Trent has been able to pick apart, and Marshawn has been able to gain yards against.

We also need to get Jackson and Lynch involved in the short passing game - and as I have stressed James Hardy. His development is painful to watch, but if he gains the experience and effectiveness it will free up Evans.

If this team can start to establish early leads, I think the defense will shine and we can see if we are capable of grinding out the running game and the clock.

Just MOHO