Hit on Edwards dirty?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do some of you guys even remember why the "leading with the helmet" rule was enacted? It was a technique that Rod Woodson had honed to perfection and which other guys were starting to copy and just wrecking QB's all over the league.

Adrian Wilson's mammoth shot yesterday bore absolutely ZERO resemblance to the technique that the league rightfully banned. Hell, Kawika's payback on Warner (and let's not even pretend that was anything resembling "accidental" ;) ) was waaaayyy closer to a violation of that rule than Wilson's devastating tackle was.

If you stretched another rule to its conceivable limits, I suppose it's possible they could have called Wilson for spiking him on the tackle. But penalizing a DB for finishing his tackle on a guy who might even be bigger than him would have just been embarrassing for everybody.

Simon, it's not about the helmet at all - it's all about driving him into the ground with real malice. The guy's a thug, and Bills football is less fun to watch when Edwards isn't in there (no offense directed toward JP). It sucks to see him get taken out by one of league's top headhunters, that's all.

Simon, it's not about the helmet at all - it's all about driving him into the ground with real malice. The guy's a thug, and Bills football is less fun to watch when Edwards isn't in there (no offense directed toward JP). It sucks to see him get taken out by one of league's top headhunters, that's all.

The more I watch that video, the more I am convinced it was a dirty hit. Not the initial contact, but he never released him and with his head down drove Trent into the ground. There better be a fine.

I think if it was Favre or Brady* they would have taken him off in handcuffs.

i dunno dude, imo both feet off the ground = a jump

I think one foot was initially off the ground, but when the safety hit Edwards, it caused both feet to leave the ground. I think Edwards stepped into his throw as much as he could, because he knew he was going to take a hit.

100% Clean hit.

No it was not, you obviously don't understand the rules. The NFL clearly says 'driving the QB into the ground' is a penalty and will result in fines. Also, continuing to drive your body weight into the QB as you hit the ground is also a penalty and not legal. You can disagree with the rule all you want, but the NFL has made those things clear and this was a perfect example of both. The only thing marginal was leading with the helmet, that one could be called either way.

this hit was clean....

until he continued to bury his helmet into trents helmet as they hit the ground.

key word there...until

Right on.

Really, the question should be, "SHOULD this hit be illegal?? There's two sides, those who want to protect the QB, and those who want to see men hitting each other with as much force and anger as possible....... you have to pick a side and then argue. If it's Ko burying Warner, we cheer. Those who say otherwise are liars and should go to time out for lying........

No it was not, you obviously don't understand the rules. The NFL clearly says 'driving the QB into the ground' is a penalty and will result in fines. Also, continuing to drive your body weight into the QB as you hit the ground is also a penalty and not legal. You can disagree with the rule all you want, but the NFL has made those things clear and this was a perfect example of both. The only thing marginal was leading with the helmet, that one could be called either way.

Bull, his helmet him in the armpit and his shoulder pad hit him in the chest as Trents arm was in the prone position as he released the ball, then he proceeded to wrap and tackle(just like everyone is ever taught from 5 yrs old and on). The momentum of him running full speed carried both of them to the ground. Remember Leon Seals on Jeff Hostetler in SuperBowl XXV. Same thing!

We won't find out if the Safety from the Cards will get fined or suspended until Friday. If the NFL fines/suspends that guy, then we all know it was a dirty hit. If he doesn't get fined/suspended then it wasn't a dirty hit. So we'll all have to wait until the end of the week to see what the ruling is.

Bull, his helmet him in the armpit and his shoulder pad hit him in the chest as Trents arm was in the prone position as he released the ball, then he proceeded to wrap and tackle(just like everyone is ever taught from 5 yrs old and on). The momentum of him running full speed carried both of them to the ground. Remember Leon Seals on Jeff Hostetler in SuperBowl XXV. Same thing!

add in the fact that since Trents feet were bolth off the ground from his little "jump" (hop would probably be a better description of it) when throwing the ball, the hit is going to be more forceful then if he was still on the ground.

If you don't think that makes a difference, have someone stand on the ground and give them a little push with one hand on their shoulder and see what happens. They might step back, or just move their shoulder to take the impact. Now get that person to "hop" in the air and push them when their feet leave the ground and see what happens.

If Trents feet were still on the ground, this would have been a hard hit, but would just result in him being taken down. His "hop" with his feet off the ground made the hit look worse then it would have been if he had both feet on the ground

add in the fact that since Trents feet were bolth off the ground from his little "jump" (hop would probably be a better description of it) when throwing the ball, the hit is going to be more forceful then if he was still on the ground.

If you don't think that makes a difference, have someone stand on the ground and give them a little push with one hand on their shoulder and see what happens. They might step back, or just move their shoulder to take the impact. Now get that person to "hop" in the air and push them when their feet leave the ground and see what happens.

If Trents feet were still on the ground, this would have been a hard hit, but would just result in him being taken down. His "hop" with his feet off the ground made the hit look worse then it would have been if he had both feet on the ground

This post is rediculious. Trent got hurt for one reason and one reason only, the safety drove him into the ground with his helmet. It wasn't his little hop, which he had to do to throw the ball over the O-line. It was because the safety drove him into the ground with his helmet. He should be fined. I said it before and I'm saying it again, if you think that Wilson didn't know exactly what he was doing, then you never played football.

your spelling of the word ridiculous, along with your logic, is ridiculous. it's not any stretch of the imagination to say that if trent hadn't jumped/hopped, the impact wouldn't have been as great. and you're saying our 6'4 quarterback needs to jump to throw the ball over the OL? riiight.

Anytime helmet touches facemask it's helmet to helmet contact, period. I don't think he meant for the crown of his helmet to bash into Trent's chin and facemask but it did. As posted above, he definitely MEANT to drive his entire body weight into Edwards as he crushed him into the ground. There's no doubt about that. The guy should be fined imo because I've seen lesser infractions fined on QB hits.

This post is rediculious. Trent got hurt for one reason and one reason only, the safety drove him into the ground with his helmet. It wasn't his little hop, which he had to do to throw the ball over the O-line. It was because the safety drove him into the ground with his helmet. He should be fined. I said it before and I'm saying it again, if you think that Wilson didn't know exactly what he was doing, then you never played football.

Respectfully disagree, SwampD. Yeah, Wilson knew what he was doing - putting a hard hit on the QB. It's football. It's a physical, sometimes dangerous game, and guys get hurt.

Respectfully disagree, SwampD. Yeah, Wilson knew what he was doing - putting a hard hit on the QB. It's football. It's a physical, sometimes dangerous game, and guys get hurt.

But there are different rules reguarding the QB's.

As there should be. Watching backup QBs man offenses makes the game a helluva lot more boring.

So, I guess using entertainment value as a factor, there should be special rules for smacking any player who adds some excitement to a game, right? :D

A QB is paid to stand there and expose himself to horrendous hits when he is most vulnerable, like a kicker or punter or someone calling a fair catch. He knows he is going to get hit hard but he should also expect to be hit "clean", meaning knock the snot out of me but do it within the rules.

I say this generically, since I do not want to argue whether or not THIS hit was dirty or not. That has already been covered.

your spelling of the word ridiculous, along with your logic, is ridiculous. it's not any stretch of the imagination to say that if trent hadn't jumped/hopped, the impact wouldn't have been as great. and you're saying our 6'4 quarterback needs to jump to throw the ball over the OL? riiight.

As redickuleious as my spelling may be, what's the point of this? Are you saying it his own fault he got hurt because he jumped. Now who's being reedykuloes. Being hit up high like he was by a safety at full speed, the point is moot because his feet were going to leave the ground in either case do to the force of the hit.