Trent's Armstrength

Virgil

Honestly, I really don't think there's enough to question the guy's arm strength. He's thrown some pretty touchdown passes to Evans (not just this year, but last year as well...he had a beautiful one to Evans against Miami) that required no slowing down on anyone's part.

It's all about the timing, not arm strength. Repeat after me.

Nobody questions Brett Favre's arm strength (particularly in the past) and a ridiculous number of his TD passes required his receivers to slow down and go for the jump ball. Timing, not arm strength. And in some cases, it's by design -- if the DB is not looking at the ball, the receiver can have an advantage on a ball thrown behind the receiver, especially the taller receivers.

Nobody question's JP's arm strength, but Evans sure had to slow down for that jump ball against the Jets last year. It happens.

Well of course its timing....Unitas had a poof arm but his timing was perfect.--BUT a strong arm--alll other things equal --is an advantage.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well of course its timing....Unitas had a poof arm but his timing was perfect.--BUT a strong arm--alll other things equal --is an advantage.

Nobody is saying it isn't. But the original statement was that his arm strength is in question because some of his long throws required the receiver to slow down. All I'm saying that this observation is likely completely unrelated to his arm strength.

Frankly, I read this on CNNSI.com tonight with respect to Trent coming out of college:

"He was a very athletic kid," said an NFC Personnel Director. "He moved well, had a fairly strong arm and was capable of throwing all of the NFL-type throws with good accuracy and touch."

So a pro personnel director thinks he has a fairly strong arm and can make all of the NFL throws. This is a guy who makes his living evaluating talent. I'll trust that opinion over anything here.

Nobody is saying it isn't. But the original statement was that his arm strength is in question because some of his long throws required the receiver to slow down. All I'm saying that this observation is likely completely unrelated to his arm strength.

Frankly, I read this on CNNSI.com tonight with respect to Trent coming out of college:

So a pro personnel director thinks he has a fairly strong arm and can make all of the NFL throws. This is a guy who makes his living evaluating talent. I'll trust that opinion over anything here.

I agree that he can make all the NFL throws he needs to make. He can't of course make all the NFL throws. If we are on our own 35 with no time left he couldn't heave the ball 70 yards into the end zone.....but neither could Montana or Unitas--

I think those of us watching football can see how strong someones arm is without having some 'scout' inform us.

I don't think TEs arm strength is an issue. Its sufficient.

Guest dog14787
Coming from a JP supporter, I don't think this thread is as innocent as it seems. I thought we gave up on this a year ago? This thread's like a ninja, attacking when we least expect it.

:worthy:

We get to see how TE fairs in a dome this weekend under perfect conditions. I hope to see a very accurate and successful day from TE, its not every day he gets to play in a dome.

TE needs to make the most of it :wallbash:

:worthy:

We get to see how TE fairs in a dome this weekend under perfect conditions. I hope to see a very accurate and successful day from TE, its not every day he gets to play in a dome.

TE needs to make the most of it :worthy:

Not every day, but two weeks in a row... :wallbash:

Seriously, though, we all know how the crypto-JP-supporters/Trent-doubters will respond if Trent has a good game. There will be five posts along the lines of, "sure, Trent can play well in perfect conditions, but I won't be convinced until he plays well in bad weather... remember cleveland... blah blah blah... glove wearing Mary... blah blah blah...."

Of course, if Trent does perform well in bad weather, many of them will still write either "Sure, he did it this time, but let's see him do it 75 more times before we can anoint him our QB" or "the weather really wasn't that bad..."

Guest dog14787
Not every day, but two weeks in a row... :wallbash:

Seriously, though, we all know how the crypto-JP-supporters/Trent-doubters will respond if Trent has a good game. There will be five posts along the lines of, "sure, Trent can play well in perfect conditions, but I won't be convinced until he plays well in bad weather... remember cleveland... blah blah blah... glove wearing Mary... blah blah blah...."

Of course, if Trent does perform well in bad weather, many of them will still write either "Sure, he did it this time, but let's see him do it 75 more times before we can anoint him our QB" or "the weather really wasn't that bad..."

The way I see it, a good OC can always develop a gameplan to help his team win in any conditions.

We have the biggest O-line in the NFL, a big O-line is key when traction is impossible to get and straight forward is the only way to go. Maybe some dinks and dunks, but mainly Beast mode and action Jackson have to carry the rock and drive it right down our oppenents throat. My only problem with all this is TE's QB skills and passing accuracy gets taken right out of the picture when we become one dimensional in bad weather.

Guest dog14787
Was it already time for another thread Trent's arm strength, or lack thereof? Time goes by so fast, these days.

Well, we could talk about how horrible JP's sideline play has been and how he should be more animated and cheer more for his teamate and best buddy, TE.

cuz doggonit, TE looks real good and with Shonert as OC the offense actually works, so whats wrong with that fella, geesh, get over it already :wallbash:

I thought this thread would have more responses. I guess we will have to wait until the Bills get 1 in the loss column for all the Trent bashers to come back with all of their reasons why JP should still be the starter. I miss you guys, please come back, it's ok to post when the team is winning. Just put down the Trent voodoo doll and get online.

GO BILLS!

:devil:

TE needs to make the most of it :thumbsup:

Great! So, he has an awesome game in a dome, then we're gonna have to hear all the crap about him not being able to play in bad weather. Can't wait...

Well, we could talk about how horrible JP's sideline play has been and how he should be more animated and cheer more for his teamate and best buddy, TE.

I don't know about this. JP is know for his awesome arm strength. Didn't you notice how well his kept the clipboard balanced and didn't let it sag once? Also, I didn't see him get it hit out of his hand the way Trent has been having the football hit out of his hand lately. :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
I don't know about this. JP is know for his awesome arm strength. Didn't you notice how well his kept the clipboard balanced and didn't let it sag once? Also, I didn't see him get it hit out of his hand the way Trent has been having the football hit out of his hand lately. :thumbsup:

I make jokes but there is nobody more ready and more determined to show everyone how good he can be then JP Losman.

JP Losman gives us that security blanket that very few teams have, we can go into the playoffs knowing no one person going down with injury will defeat us , not even at the QB position.

Am I saying JP's as good as TE, no I'm not, now Tom Brady's out nobody is better than our young TE in my opinion.

I'm saying with this Bills defense and Turk Shonert as OC giving him the right plays on offense, JP Losman wins ball games.

Guest dog14787
I thought this thread would have more responses. I guess we will have to wait until the Bills get 1 in the loss column for all the Trent bashers to come back with all of their reasons why JP should still be the starter. I miss you guys, please come back, it's ok to post when the team is winning. Just put down the Trent voodoo doll and get online.

GO BILLS!

I hope its showing most of us have enough sense to back all of the Buffalo Bills, backups or starters because thats what Bills backers do, back the Buffalo Bills, all of them.

OK, OK, Senator, with the exception of Jason Peters, geesh, and thats only until he starts playing better so get over it. :thumbsup:

I'm not a Trent basher but logic would dictate that he will eventually be injured this year and we will have the opportunity to see JP play in this system. It may even be in bad weather. In any event I still think we have two number ones which is not a sheik thing to say among football sophisticates. :thumbsup:

I think underthrowing some 9 routes is more of an accuracy thing than an arm-strength issue since every QB in the league can throw it 40 yards when they want to. I think that's a mistake lots of people make (particularly non-Bills fan Evans-owning fantasy geeks) make - thinking that deep ball = arm strength. To me the true test of good enough NFL arm is the Parrish TD vs. Oakland - throwing the intermediate out when you're getting hit in the mouth.

Furthermore I like that despite not having the cannon, he utilizes all of the field horizontally. Did anyone else ever watch highlights of other games on a weekly basis the last 3 years showing 10-20 yard crossing routes and wonder why JP never threw a ball near the hashmarks in his life?