Mort makes up "facts" once again

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=22755

Here's the gem:

Dougie Fresh (DC): The Bills appear to be graded across the board as the best special teams in the league, a much better D with young studs, and an O with exceptional skill players, that only needed the QB to step it up. Given the progress that Edwards has made, do the Bills have pieces in place to make a realistic championship run this year? Love you great work...keep it coming...

Chris Mortensen: (11:21 AM ET ) I think the Bills have a good shot at the playoffs but I know their coaching staff is concerned about some things, especially on defense. But they have a lot of good things going for them with 12 games left to play.

Um, what? This obviously was made-up. The coaches may well have concerns, but not on that side of the ball.

Btw, there's also this:

Coach Tuesday :rolleyes:): Mort, come on - Al calls you a "professional liar," you must have something to say about that? Here's your chance, Fan Nation is listening.

Chris Mortensen: (11:05 AM ET ) Actually, after we listened to the presser, we're pretty sure he just confused his grammar and was still talking about Kiffin...regardless, why would anyone truly believe a man who has had five coaches in six years, eight in the last 15, has tried to not honor contracts from a few of those coaches and even his former MVP QB, Rich Gannon, has ripped him publicly in recent weeks.

**UPDATE**

Coach Tuesday (:rolleyes:): Mort, can you elaborate on your previous comment that the Bills' coaches have concerns about the defense? Seems to me that the concerns should be on the other side of the ball, as the defense is playing at its highest level in a decade.

Chris Mortensen: (11:42 AM ET ) I just know the the coaches weren't happy that the Rams almost put 400 yards up on them. They haven't had to face a dynamic offense yet but the bottom line is, the Bills are playing winning football where it matters most in the NFL - in the 4th quarter!

Chris Mortensen: (11:21 AM ET ) I think the Bills have a good shot at the playoffs but I know their coaching staff is concerned about some things, especially on defense. But they have a lot of good things going for them with 12 games left to play.

Since 90% of teams starting 4-0 make the playoffs, that's the way to go out on a limb, Mortimer.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=22755

Here's the gem:

Dougie Fresh (DC): The Bills appear to be graded across the board as the best special teams in the league, a much better D with young studs, and an O with exceptional skill players, that only needed the QB to step it up. Given the progress that Edwards has made, do the Bills have pieces in place to make a realistic championship run this year? Love you great work...keep it coming...

The coaches have to be concerned about the D, especially since McGee could miss up to a month. Putting Crowell on IR really hurts the LB depth as well. So, I don't see anything wrong with Mort's comments.

eball (Durham, NC): Mort, referring to your comment about the Rams putting 380 yards on the Bills...you do know that 100 of those yards came after the 6:00 mark of the 4th quarter after the Bills went up 31-14, right?

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: (11:49 AM ET ) I'm only passing on to you that the Bills coaches are internally concerned...but, gosh, they are very happy to be 4-0.

--------------------------

Ha. What a maroon.

I'm a bit concerned about the defense as well. Holt was able to find open pockets most of the game, which was a bit disconcerting. Against a team like Arizona, that spells trouble.

Lets hope they install some stuff this week that will make the coverages better.

I'm a bit concerned about the defense as well. Holt was able to find open pockets most of the game, which was a bit disconcerting. Against a team like Arizona, that spells trouble.

Lets hope they install some stuff this week that will make the coverages better.

I think they need tighter press, which they're afraid to do b/c of the lack of consistent passrush from the front four. How about activating Ellis? Bryan got embarassed on Avery's TD run, and they need some speed from the outside on third downs.

Internally? Who on the Bills staff talks to this tool about concerns? They ought to be fired. :rolleyes:

It is all his opinion not "internally". The Bills have concerns because Crowell decided to put off having any surgery until a couple of days before opener and a few players are banged up but if they had big concerns they would be on horn talking to another team trying to trade for a player.

Oh and the purpose of defenses is to prevent points not yards. The Rams, even as weak as athey are now, are designed to gain yards with hope that can turn into points.

The only real informative thing I took from the chat was

Dave Morris: (11:30 am ET) Hey Mort, have you ever spent any time in Buffalo during camps or preseason to see how the staff interacts with players?

Chris Mortensen: (11:21 AM ET ) Spent some time up there back in the Tom Donahue years and interact with Tom... and yes, Tom loves going “ass to mouth”

The coaches have to be concerned about the D, especially since McGee could miss up to a month. Putting Crowell on IR really hurts the LB depth as well. So, I don't see anything wrong with Mort's comments.

Agreed. There is plenty of stuff to jump on Mort about, but complaining about this is a bit of a stretch.

I'm kind of worried about the defense as well. Although I've said I believe the Bills are 1 year away from being a superbowl contending team. Even in the down trodden landscape of the AFC. The one area of concern remains the same. Our edge rush is poor. Schobel while not playing as bad as been made out to be, is still our only legit threat from the edge. Kelsay is/was/always will be nothing more then a high effort guy, who makes places once in awhile. We have no serious threat from the edges. It makes the defense rely too heavily on blitzing, which will cost us down the line against better quarterbacks. It's not something that can be addressed now. 4-0 is still 4-0 but it's a major concern for the offseason imho.

Does anyone know this "not to be fact"???

I sure as hell have concerns about this defense. At the very least the jury is still out on this defense. The Bills have not played a team that has an offense rated higher thatn 22... except Seattle... which, at the time, were banged up at receiver, RB and OL...and not running on all 8. Bills have issues at one OLB spot and the middle seems soft to me... even with Stroud.

The only real informative thing I took from the chat was

Dave Morris: (11:30 am ET) Hey Mort, have you ever spent any time in Buffalo during camps or preseason to see how the staff interacts with players?

Chris Mortensen: (11:21 AM ET ) Spent some time up there back in the Tom Donahue years and interact with Tom... and yes, Tom loves going “ass to mouth”

Old news. The little known news is that he was also a sword swallower.

I know TSW loves to bash Mort (who doesn't, the guy's a pinata), but I suspect the coaching staff IS worried that another injury to a starter, particularly at LB, would put the team's best unit under considerable stress....

Internally? Who on the Bills staff talks to this tool about concerns? They ought to be fired. :rolleyes:

It is all his opinion not "internally". The Bills have concerns because Crowell decided to put off having any surgery until a couple of days before opener and a few players are banged up but if they had big concerns they would be on horn talking to another team trying to trade for a player.

Oh and the purpose of defenses is to prevent points not yards. The Rams, even as weak as athey are now, are designed to gain yards with hope that can turn into points.

Kinda makes the case for Kiffin getting fired then, doesn't it, since he was Mort's contact there. Mort has contacts and relationships with folks in all of the organizations. If one of the coaches he knows told him there were some concerns on D, so be it. It's not unfathomable after seeing what Oakland's ground game and then St. Louis did to us.