Trent Edwards was injury prone

Simon

This just in Buddy, we are not the Da Bears, and we have a QB that struggles in bad weather, so trade him is your answer, geeesh :wallbash:

I'm not sure we know that Trent struggles in bad weather. We know that, in his rookie year, he struggled in two very bad weather games. So did the other QBs. Also, in the first game this year (with virtually no preseason work) he struggled a little in the rain, for part of the game.

I'm not ready to say, "Trent struggles in bad weather", but I am a little concerned and will be until I see him perform reasonably well in bad conditions.

With that said, you don't build a dome because one of your current players may have trouble with the weather. By the time Buffalo gets a new stadium (dome or otherwise) Trent isn't likely to be an issue.

I seriously hope Buffalo never goes to a dome. I don't think any team should play indoors. Buffalo, like Chicago and Green Bay has the element of weather that SHOULD work to their advantage. The idea is to make that weather work for you. The solution isn't to throw away your advantage.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Nice try at hyperbole, but we don't play in Alaska. We're also not the Bears - THANK GOD.

The economic standpoint stuff matters not. Buffalo IS NOT getting a Super Bowl, dome or no dome.

Most fans can handle sitting in the snow and cold for three hours. Maybe some princesses can't, but that's no reason to build a dome. I also don't care how hard some people's mothers think it is to throw in RWS. If they're not lining up under center, I couldn't care less about their opinion.

Players and fans have to be tough to hack it in Orchard Park in November - January. So if a player can't hack it in a home playoff game in January, get rid of him.

why do you think we struggle selling games out, Nov - Jan?

Sure some can handle it and I'm not questioning anyones manlyhood here, but do you want to bring your family out in a blizzard to face the elements for 3 plus hours?

Our past ticket sales suggest otherwise :wallbash:

why do you think we struggle selling games out, Nov - Jan?

Sure men can handle it and I'm not questioning anyones manlyhood here, but do you want to bring your wife and kids out in a blizzard to face the elements for 3 plus hours?

Our past ticket sales suggest otherwise :wallbash:

Lots of reasons, not just the weather. A big part is the economy and the timing around the holidays, IMO. Less disposable income around that time of the year, people traveling for holiday stuff, etc.

Please stop flirting with me.

Guest dog14787
Lots of reasons, not just the weather. A big part is the economy and the timing around the holidays, IMO. Less disposable income around that time of the year, people traveling for holiday stuff, etc.

Please stop flirting with me.

:wallbash:

Its the difference between , kids for christmas I'm turning you all into frozen popsicles, or kids for Christmas I'm taking you all to a Buffalo Bills game at our new, nice, warm Dome.

See you guys arent thinkng, now don't you think this will fly better with , well, the boss.

Guest dog14787
I'm not sure we know that Trent struggles in bad weather. We know that, in his rookie year, he struggled in two very bad weather games. So did the other QBs. Also, in the first game this year (with virtually no preseason work) he struggled a little in the rain, for part of the game.

I'm not ready to say, "Trent struggles in bad weather", but I am a little concerned and will be until I see him perform reasonably well in bad conditions.

With that said, you don't build a dome because one of your current players may have trouble with the weather. By the time Buffalo gets a new stadium (dome or otherwise) Trent isn't likely to be an issue.

I seriously hope Buffalo never goes to a dome. I don't think any team should play indoors. Buffalo, like Chicago and Green Bay has the element of weather that SHOULD work to their advantage. The idea is to make that weather work for you. The solution isn't to throw away your advantage.

Playing outdoors seems to be the more popular choice, and your right, it would take a long time in the makings, probably to long for TE to ever see it. TE's just got to get better in bad weather, he has the weapons, and he has the brains. I'm sure he'll get better in time. Nobody plays perfect in bad weather, as you say, take the bad weather and use it to your advantage, a good QB should be able to do just that, time will tell I suppose.

he's so accurate, I just hate to take that away from him.

Does anybody perform well in bad weather? Isn't that why they call it bad weather?

Will someone from the "he can't play in bad weather" crowd please explain why 1) He performed so well against Miami in bad weather last December & 2) When Fairchild finally took the handcuffs off in the blizzard in Cleveland he was crisp & accurate in his downfield passing on the drive in the final minute. You continue to ignore these facts and just keep up your rant, it's time to show some guts & address this. (I won't be here to see your response until Monday because some of us have a game to attend, where we can judge the weather far better than someone with a stat sheet)

Will someone from the "he can't play in bad weather" crowd please explain why 1) He performed so well against Miami in bad weather last December & 2) When Fairchild finally took the handcuffs off in the blizzard in Cleveland he was crisp & accurate in his downfield passing on the drive in the final minute. You continue to ignore these facts and just keep up your rant, it's time to show some guts & address this. (I won't be here to see your response until Monday because some of us have a game to attend, where we can judge the weather far better than someone with a stat sheet)

All I'm concerned with right now is tomorrow's game - should be 62 degrees and cloudy (like Winter in Los Gatos) - so TE should be just fine.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Does anybody perform well in bad weather? Isn't that why they call it bad weather?

Are you suggesting snow/wind/rain was labeled "bad weather" because it hindered the performance of football players? :thumbsup:

I think the point is "relatively" good. But, with that said, "Yes", some players perform better in bad weather, than others. Kelly (for example) may not have been as sharp in wind, snow and rain, as he was on a fast track...but he was usually heads and shoulders better than the QB the Bills were facing.

Bart Starr played very well in bad weather. Of course, part of it was, he was never asked to do too much. But what he did was usually pretty impressive. I've seen Big Ben play a decent game, or two, in a some bad stuff.

Of course, there are many RB's who thrive in snow, rain, mud, etc. But, let's not go there, yet.

Personally, I just want to see Trent look comfortable and confident, be in control of the team and be, generally effective...not spectacular or perfect (necessarily).

Which I think leads us to Albany's post

That was Trent's "coming out" party of sorts. While his stats weren't spectacular (4 TD's sure is, though), he was indeed comfortable and confident, in control of the team and generally effective. So, why do we continue to question Trent's ability to perform in the bad stuff?

Good question. I'm trying to remember that game, and having some trouble (there is a very slight chance that I was drunk, that day). I recall there was some rain (and it looks like the Dolphins had a few fumbles), but I seem to remember we expected the weather to be TERRIBLE, but it wasn't. Maybe that's why we forget about this game.

It may also be because it was against Miami (winless at the time). But, for the sake of this discussion, I'm not sure the opponent really matters, because we are talking about one specific opponent, the weather. So, maybe we are just putting a bad rap on Trent, and he already proved that weather doesn't freak him out. But, I remember thinking, the next week against Cleveland, that we would finally see if Trent could play in bad weather. So, I admit to some confusion, there. (For what it's worth, even Fairchild had a good day, for this one.)

As for your Cleveland take. Look, if you want to stick Fairchild under the bus for this one, I will help you get him on the ground...or drive the bus, your choice. But I can't blame Fairchild for the confusion I attributed to Trend, that day. His passes weren't even close, most of the day. Yes, I know it was very windy...that's the point, or at least part of it.

He did look a little better toward the end of the game, but let's not call that last drive successful, or impressive, in any way.

1-10-BUF 30 (1:51) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short middle to 83-L.Evans (51-C.Thompson).

2-10-BUF 30 (1:44) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 82-J.Reed pushed ob at 50 for 20 yards (26-S.Jones) [95-K.Wimbley].

1-10- (1:17) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete deep left to 83-L.Evans.

2-10- (1:11) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 22-F.Jackson ran ob at CLE 35 for 15 yards (94-L.Williams).

1-10-CLE 35 (1:02) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete deep left to 83-L.Evans.

2-10-CLE 35 (:57) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short left to 83-L.Evans.

3-10-CLE 35 (:52) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete deep middle to 84-R.Royal.

Timeout #2 by CLE at 00:47.

4-10-CLE 35 (:47) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass deep middle to 83-L.Evans to CLE 15 for 20 yards (22-B.McDonald).

1-10-CLE 15 (:47) (No Huddle) 5-T.Edwards spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-CLE 15 (:28) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 82-J.Reed pushed ob at CLE 10 for 5 yards (21-B.Pool).

3-5-CLE 10 (:21) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short left to 11-R.Parrish.

4-5-CLE 10 (:15) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 22-F.Jackson to CLE 10 for no gain (51-C.Thompson, 26-S.Jones).

Guest dog14787
Are you suggesting snow/wind/rain was labeled "bad weather" because it hindered the performance of football players? :thumbsup:

I think the point is "relatively" good. But, with that said, "Yes", some players perform better in bad weather, than others. Kelly (for example) may not have been as sharp in wind, snow and rain, as he was on a fast track...but he was usually heads and shoulders better than the QB the Bills were facing.

Bart Starr played very well in bad weather. Of course, part of it was, he was never asked to do too much. But what he did was usually pretty impressive. I've seen Big Ben play a decent game, or two, in a some bad stuff.

Of course, there are many RB's who thrive in snow, rain, mud, etc. But, let's not go there, yet.

Personally, I just want to see Trent look comfortable and confident, be in control of the team and be, generally effective...not spectacular or perfect (necessarily).

Which I think leads us to Albany's post

That was Trent's "coming out" party of sorts. While his stats weren't spectacular (4 TD's sure is, though), he was indeed comfortable and confident, in control of the team and generally effective. So, why do we continue to question Trent's ability to perform in the bad stuff?

Good question. I'm trying to remember that game, and having some trouble (there is a very slight chance that I was drunk, that day). I recall there was some rain (and it looks like the Dolphins had a few fumbles), but I seem to remember we expected the weather to be TERRIBLE, but it wasn't. Maybe that's why we forget about this game.

It may also be because it was against Miami (winless at the time). But, for the sake of this discussion, I'm not sure the opponent really matters, because we are talking about one specific opponent, the weather. So, maybe we are just putting a bad rap on Trent, and he already proved that weather doesn't freak him out. But, I remember thinking, the next week against Cleveland, that we would finally see if Trent could play in bad weather. So, I admit to some confusion, there. (For what it's worth, even Fairchild had a good day, for this one.)

As for your Cleveland take. Look, if you want to stick Fairchild under the bus for this one, I will help you get him on the ground...or drive the bus, your choice. But I can't blame Fairchild for the confusion I attributed to Trend, that day. His passes weren't even close, most of the day. Yes, I know it was very windy...that's the point, or at least part of it.

He did look a little better toward the end of the game, but let's not call that last drive successful, or impressive, in any way.

1-10-BUF 30 (1:51) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short middle to 83-L.Evans (51-C.Thompson).

2-10-BUF 30 (1:44) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 82-J.Reed pushed ob at 50 for 20 yards (26-S.Jones) [95-K.Wimbley].

1-10- (1:17) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete deep left to 83-L.Evans.

2-10- (1:11) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 22-F.Jackson ran ob at CLE 35 for 15 yards (94-L.Williams).

1-10-CLE 35 (1:02) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete deep left to 83-L.Evans.

2-10-CLE 35 (:57) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short left to 83-L.Evans.

3-10-CLE 35 (:52) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete deep middle to 84-R.Royal.

Timeout #2 by CLE at 00:47.

4-10-CLE 35 (:47) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass deep middle to 83-L.Evans to CLE 15 for 20 yards (22-B.McDonald).

1-10-CLE 15 (:47) (No Huddle) 5-T.Edwards spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-CLE 15 (:28) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 82-J.Reed pushed ob at CLE 10 for 5 yards (21-B.Pool).

3-5-CLE 10 (:21) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short left to 11-R.Parrish.

4-5-CLE 10 (:15) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 22-F.Jackson to CLE 10 for no gain (51-C.Thompson, 26-S.Jones).

I know the weather was bad , but the Clevland game was another great example of Fairchilds incompetence. By then, fairchild had a good strangle hold on the offense, and from that point on, he just choked the living daylights out of it. :lol: