Linebacker Situation

VOR

The Crowell situation still has me steamed. With him (healthy) in the lineup, the Bills' defense could have been even better. Ellison is decent-enough, but likely not the answer. And it's not like there's a gem waiting in the wings, a la Greer or Jackson last year. Are the Bills best-served sticking with Ellison, or starting JD at MLB and moving Poz to SLB, or something else?

The Bills must like what they have - I do not htink they have brought in anyone for a look...

They haven't. As for "lik[ing] what they have," it could be more that they're satisfied. And anyone new they bring in wouldn't know the system.

Again the Crowell situation really screwed them. Arrrrggggghhhh!

I'd say stick with Ellison...he's fast, good in pass coverage and is a pretty good tackler. I watched him for years at Oregon State and since he's been with with Bills he's been solid but not spectacular in my opinion.

Agreed. Solid player, maybe not a starter in most other systems, but seems to fit Fewell's version of the cover 2 nicely. I think he'll do just fine

I don't think it is that big of a deal. We seem to favor the nickle package anyway. I'm not sure if that is because of the first two offensive systems we have gone against, or if the coaches consider the nickle as our strongest base defense, but at this point Youboty has been more of a starter than Ellison based on number of plays that each has been out there.

They haven't. As for "lik[ing] what they have," it could be more that they're satisfied. And anyone new they bring in wouldn't know the system.

Again the Crowell situation really screwed them. Arrrrggggghhhh!

Yeah. They are number 7 in defense in the league. This is not working at all Charlie Brown.

The Raiders seem to be fairly effective running off-tackle last week. And Ellison has always been a pussycat when to comes to holding the POA. Unless the Bills are willing to sacrifice some passrush against a rookie QB in order to protect Ellison, this could be the week where we really find out how much we're going to miss Crowell.

If this is a heavy topic of conversation next Monday, we may have something to worry about.

The Crowell situation still has me steamed. With him (healthy) in the lineup, the Bills' defense could have been even better.

Well, the fact is that Crowell would not be in the line-up this weekend anyways.

I like Ellison, and feel that if the powers that be thought Crowell was that much better, they would have had a different approach to his injury situation.

The Crowell situation still has me steamed. With him (healthy) in the lineup, the Bills' defense could have been even better. Ellison is decent-enough, but likely not the answer. And it's not like there's a gem waiting in the wings, a la Greer or Jackson last year. Are the Bills best-served sticking with Ellison, or starting JD at MLB and moving Poz to SLB, or something else?

If Bowen can recover from his injury, he is going to be a really good player....the guy just seems to have a nose for the ball and very good instincts...

When we signed Kawika Mitchell I assumed he'd be the strongside starter because of him being more of a thumper than the other 'backers.

If Ellison proves soft in filling Crowell's strongside position, the Bills could hypothetically move Mitchell to the strong side and move Ellison to the weak side where he seems, conventionally speaking, to be more of a fit.

The Raiders seem to be fairly effective running off-tackle last week. And Ellison has always been a pussycat when to comes to holding the POA. Unless the Bills are willing to sacrifice some passrush against a rookie QB in order to protect Ellison, this could be the week where we really find out how much we're going to miss Crowell.

If this is a heavy topic of conversation next Monday, we may have something to worry about.

IMHO, Crowell or not, this is one position I think we're a player away from yet. Not just a 'cover 2' 'backer, but a game-changer ala Briggs, Biscuit. Obviously, we have to figure something out in the interim.

I agree, Oakland will test the off-tackle market on us.

There were a lot of lame comments about Jauron and DBs (i.e. perfect team for him is 2 DTs and 9 DBs) but maybe with the defense they have planned they knew they would be using 2 LBs a lot?

Personally I'd be happier if we could do a trade for another LB before trading deadline but no one pays me to coach football.

The Bills should put all 11 guys on the line to stop the run and let Russell throw the ball. If the Bills don't get to Russell first he'll miss the receiver anyway. :unsure: