Trent throwing Deep...........

Buffan00

I have noticed Trent does seem to have an odd throwing motion. Also, seems to bounce/hop around just before releasing sometimes.

Not a QB coach. Just seeing this pattern when passing.

Anyone else seeing similar?

He gets the job done.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Don Shula re: Dan Marino.

"He doesn't bring the ball up and throw it with that long arm motion. It's 'boom' and the ball's gone with a tremendous whip of the shoulders."

How was his deep ball?

I've made the same comparison myself, TE has the same quick flick release as Marino, and we all know how well Dan Marino could chunk the ball down field. Its almost like Kelly and Marino would have a throwing contest sometimes. :thumbsup:

Trent has a great release, really quick and he doesn't hold the ball exposed behind his body at all. His deep balls do seem to come down a bit lame. I'd like to see him really get into some throws and let Lee Evans go after them(he had his man beat a bunch of times vs seattle). Regardless, as it sits now it's not imperative that he hurl 50yd+ bombs. The 32yd and 41yd passes to Evans both led directly to TD's(not to mention the 30yd TD strike to Royal) - effective.

I have noticed Trent does seem to have an odd throwing motion. Also, seems to bounce/hop around just before releasing sometimes.

Yes. Peyton Manning does it. :thumbsup:

I am no qb coach eithr, but I think that much depends on how a qb's feet are positioned when, and immediately before he throws. Peyton moves his feet but watch how fast he gets set before passing. Same with Trent.

Now, if you want to watch some weird footwork.......never mind.

I think you can see his perfect form

You are just being negative.

Trent mechanics are very good IMO. Very quick release which is why it looks weird to you and the bounce/ hop thats nothing to be worried about its all about being comfortable in the pocket while making your reads and it can give you and bit more power steping into throws

I never said his release was slow! It is fast but he shot puts the ball and doesn't open his throwing shoulder up, he stays closed throughout his whole motion and through the release. Anyone who knows anything about throwing motions can see this. If he were to open his motion up there is no doubt he could throw the ball alot further.

I never said his release was slow! It is fast but he shot puts the ball and doesn't open his throwing shoulder up, he stays closed throughout his whole motion and through the release. Anyone who knows anything about throwing motions can see this. If he were to open his motion up there is no doubt he could throw the ball alot further.

Just win the game

Thats all i care about

Trent can't throw deep because he doesn't have the proper throwing mechanics that would allow him to throw deep. He brings the ball up to his ear and basically shot puts the ball. He need to rooster the ball way behind his ear and even past his head, kind of like a baseball player. Until he gets better throwing mechanics he will never be able to throw the ball very far.

BS. Schonert runs a quasi West Coast Offense that requires a great deal of timing and enables players to run after the catch. It seemed like today I saw a good deal of YAC, something we haven't seen in a long time.

As for the long ball, there aren't many deep 50 yard+ throws in the WCO. Jerry Rice wasn't catching bombs, but getting the ball in the middle of the field and running. Montana didn't have a cannon, but was deadly accurate and with guys like Rice, Taylor, Brent Jones, Roger Craig, et al, he didn't have to throw deep.

To say it's just Trent's arm strength which prevents him from throwing deep is shortsighted.

I don't know, I certainly liked the way he and Evans have been working for far this season with the over the shoulder catches.

I also think that the kind of offense that Schonert is running doesn't depend on deep bombs. Even if Trent's rate of accuracy is good for only 30 yards we have seen him throw with great precision within that range. I'd rather see a thirty yard pass completed 80% of the time than a 50 yarder completed half of the time.

God people are lame. Why are people buggin about arm strength. Just because the Bills haven't scored a 70 yard TD score people think Trent edwards arm strength sucks. If you look at the longer throws from last week and the one this week the situation calls for a high lofted ball. It's due to the position of the defenders and allowing the WR to have the best opportunity to make a play.

If you are looking for arm strength you need to look look for the 30ish yard strike that requires not alot of elevation so it doesn't get picked off. If you are throwing the sidelines on a 30 yard pass it's more like 40 yards. Trent has yet to have an opportunity to throw this pass yet. But wait if you look to the preseason he did it agains the Steelers.

Bottom line is that Trent has good arm strength. He doesn't have Jamarcus Russell type arm strength but look at what he's done the last 2 games. NOTHING. They came out int he same year and Trent is leagues ahead of Jamarcus Russell in terms of development.

Trent is going to be a very good QB in this league. He's obviously a winner. If today's game doesn't show you that then nothign win. Trent has great pocket presense, quick release, and good decision making ability. He also spreads the ball around. That 3rd and 9 strike to Evans today is a great example of what kind of QB he can be.

I love how people call Trent Captain check down. I bet they are JP backers which is fine. I like JP just as much as the next guy but i also realize that JP struggles at things Trent doesn't. JP doesn't throw the short passes or finds the check down well. JP does have a stronger arm then Trent but i am not sure if he throws the long ball better. I have seen him miss on the long throw plenty of times.

DRIVE FOR SHOW PUTT FOR DOE PEOPLE.

Anyone who plays golf will understand that this phrase has alot of meaning in football.

BS. Schonert runs a quasi West Coast Offense that requires a great deal of timing and enables players to run after the catch. It seemed like today I saw a good deal of YAC, something we haven't seen in a long time.

As for the long ball, there aren't many deep 50 yard+ throws in the WCO. Jerry Rice wasn't catching bombs, but getting the ball in the middle of the field and running. Montana didn't have a cannon, but was deadly accurate and with guys like Rice, Taylor, Brent Jones, Roger Craig, et al, he didn't have to throw deep.

To say it's just Trent's arm strength which prevents him from throwing deep is shortsighted.

My god your dumb! It has nothing to do with arm strength or the west coast offense. It's his mechanics that don't allow for him to air it out 50+ yards. He obviously has arm strength to stay all closed and still be able to throw it as far as he does. Now just for you again, if Trent cocks the ball back farther past his head and opens his throwing shoulder up, like a baseball pitcher, he will without a doubt add distance to his long ball.

My god your dumb! It has nothing to do with arm strength or the west coast offense. It's his mechanics that don't allow for him to air it out 50+ yards. He obviously has arm strength to stay all closed and still be able to throw it as far as he does. Now just for you again, if Trent cocks the ball back farther past his head and opens his throwing shoulder up, like a baseball pitcher, he will without a doubt add distance to his long ball.

How do you know he doesn't do that for long throws. The two throws he had to Evans last week and the one today were maybe 25 - 30 yards in the air. It isn't exactly far.

there has yet to be a streaking Lee Evans in the middle 50 yards down field waving his hands, smoking a cigar, and eating bonbon's for Trent to throw at. If Trent can't hit Evans in stride in a situation like that you can say his mechanics suck. Trent to date has yet to have that kind of opportunity.

I've made the same comparison myself, TE has the same quick flick release as Marino, and we all know how well Dan Marino could chunk the ball down field. Its almost like Kelly and Marino would have a throwing contest sometimes. :wallbash:

If you believe Vic Ketchman, who I respect from his years writing for Pro Football Weekly and Jaguars.com, "Edwards had a Peyton Manning look about him." I think I can handle that comparison too..........

Knowing a bit about throwing motions, they said the same thing about Philip Rivers when he came out of college. They talked about changing his throwing motion. They decided not to. That guy can air it out. Marino did the same thing, and Elway was a bit funky too. The fact is, throwing has some mechanics, but, the most important thing is allowing a QB to be comfortable. Change the mechanics too much and you break the machine, or arm in this case. Edwards has the ability to make the deep throws. He showed that once or twice last year. The fact remains, the 50+ yd throw is a weapon you don't use very often. The only mistake he made today was not throwing to a wide open Josh Reed who would have scored a TD on a third down play that ended up going off Hardy's hands and incomplete. Otherwise, the kid is playing very well.

And further, anyone who knows about mechanics knows that you can't "shot-putt" a football without it spinning end over end or only going ten yards. His throwing motion is just fine. I would also note, there was no "lameness" to the 37 yarder he threw to LE today, nor was that a problem on the passes he threw last week. Please give me an actual example of a long throw he has made that one could actually consider "a lame duck."

Knowing a bit about throwing motions, they said the same thing about Philip Rivers when he came out of college. They talked about changing his throwing motion. They decided not to. That guy can air it out. Marino did the same thing, and Elway was a bit funky too. The fact is, throwing has some mechanics, but, the most important thing is allowing a QB to be comfortable. Change the mechanics too much and you break the machine, or arm in this case. Edwards has the ability to make the deep throws. He showed that once or twice last year. The fact remains, the 50+ yd throw is a weapon you don't use very often. The only mistake he made today was not throwing to a wide open Josh Reed who would have scored a TD on a third down play that ended up going off Hardy's hands and incomplete. Otherwise, the kid is playing very well.

And further, anyone who knows about mechanics knows that you can't "shot-putt" a football without it spinning end over end or only going ten yards. His throwing motion is just fine. I would also note, there was no "lameness" to the 37 yarder he threw to LE today, nor was that a problem on the passes he threw last week. Please give me an actual example of a long throw he has made that one could actually consider "a lame duck."

While you think his motion is "just fine" I beg to differ and wonder how much you really know about throwing motions!

I also know a thing or two about throwing motions. While Trent has a closed motion, Rivers, Elway, Marino and anyone else you mentioned have an open shoulder. Trent does not have a throwing motion wind up. He brings the ball up to his head(ear) and basically pushes it because he has a closed motion that has him throw across his body. This is ok I guess for throwing short to intermediate throws but not good for long throws and once the league catches up to him because he can't go deep it will be up to him to adjust.

Trent needs to have some sort of throwing motion wind up(not just bring the ball up to his ear) then aim his front shoulder at the target, turn his waist and hips(creating torque) then have his shoulders open up(creating torque) having his chest and hips face the target as his arm follows like a whip and releases the ball. Until he does this he will not be able to throw deep, and 35-40 yards in the air is not a deep throw. He needs to be able to throw it 60+ yards on occasion to keep the defense honest. Watch his motion then watch every other QB and you will see he is the only one who throw across his body like he does.