Trent throwing Deep...........

Buffan00

Knowing a bit about throwing motions, they said the same thing about Philip Rivers when he came out of college. They talked about changing his throwing motion. They decided not to. That guy can air it out. Marino did the same thing, and Elway was a bit funky too. The fact is, throwing has some mechanics, but, the most important thing is allowing a QB to be comfortable. Change the mechanics too much and you break the machine, or arm in this case. Edwards has the ability to make the deep throws. He showed that once or twice last year. The fact remains, the 50+ yd throw is a weapon you don't use very often. The only mistake he made today was not throwing to a wide open Josh Reed who would have scored a TD on a third down play that ended up going off Hardy's hands and incomplete. Otherwise, the kid is playing very well.

And further, anyone who knows about mechanics knows that you can't "shot-putt" a football without it spinning end over end or only going ten yards. His throwing motion is just fine. I would also note, there was no "lameness" to the 37 yarder he threw to LE today, nor was that a problem on the passes he threw last week. Please give me an actual example of a long throw he has made that one could actually consider "a lame duck."

Philip Rivers cannot "air it out" one bit. He may be good, and sometimes he is very good, but he cannot come close to airing it out. He has a rag arm and he repeatedly shows it off. Trent's arm is significantly stronger than Rivers'.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philip Rivers cannot "air it out" one bit. He may be good, and sometimes he is very good, but he cannot come close to airing it out. He has a rag arm and he repeatedly shows it off. Trent's arm is significantly stronger than Rivers'.

Bingo. Watched him quite a bit in college and never saw him really air it out - it was all dink-and-dunk stuff. He was accurate as hell, but didn't have much on his longer throws.

Noticed Trent throwing a little deeper and the few he hit to Evans seemed planned strikes deep. This is a contrast to last season, and it seems he's eased fears of not having a vertical threat deep downfield. Do you think we see more of this, or was it a gameplan for Seattle and their weak secondary?

deep? that ball was in the air about 35 yds....

Im impressed with Trent as a QB but he does NOT have anything close to a strong arm.

I didnt say he did. It's still significantly stronger than Rivers' arm. Trent's arm strength is plenty strong. He just doesn't have a cannon like some QBs do. Rivers has a rag arm, but he's a pretty good QB.

I'd say his arm is 'sufficiently' strong..not plenty strong. I don't think he can throw the ball much more than 50 yards...but in todays NFL you don't need that.

He gets the ball there--and that is fine.

I'd say his arm is 'sufficiently' strong..not plenty strong. I don't think he can throw the ball much more than 50 yards...but in todays NFL you don't need that.

He wins games with his brains and doesnt need to throw it 70 yards.Jp has a cannon for a arm but he lacks the brains to play ball in the Nfl.Ill take Trent and a chance with his weak arm and brains instead of a big arm and a scatterbrain in Jp :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787

TE, in my opinion is a cross between Dan Marino and Joe Montana, two of the NFL's all time greats. :lol:

I expect big things out of TE, real big things :thumbsup:

TE, in my opinion is a cross between Dan Marino and Joe Montana, two of the NFL's all time greats. :lol:

I expect big things out of TE, real big things :thumbsup:

Im with ya,i think he is going to be a great qb.He kinda reminds me of Tom Brady with his pocket presense and poise.I think the Bills did great to heed the advise of the late Bill Walsh.Oh btw where are the qbs that got drafted before Trent?John Beck?lol :lol:

I have noticed Trent does seem to have an odd throwing motion. Also, seems to bounce/hop around just before releasing sometimes.

Not a QB coach. Just seeing this pattern when passing.

Anyone else seeing similar?

The bounce/ hop,pat the ball thing is textbook Sid Gilman QB teaching. Taught to TE by one Bill Walsh I would guess. It's been pretty successful historically. Why mess with it?

Guest dog14787
The bounce/ hop,pat the ball thing is textbook Sid Gilman QB teaching. Taught to TE by one Bill Walsh I would guess. It's been pretty successful historically. Why mess with it?

You don't mess with a good thing <_<

Check out the last play of the SD game that ball went 65+ yards in the air. I think his arm is ok.

Sorry KTFBD, i have to agree with Willis above.....i watched the last play of the Broncos-Chargers game yesterday and I immediately was impressed with how far Rivers threw the ball on that play. I would have to wonder if even JP could have thrown it any farther......that was a monster throw and the ball was not fluttering when it came down....it was impressive.

He wins games with his brains and doesnt need to throw it 70 yards.Jp has a cannon for a arm but he lacks the brains to play ball in the Nfl.Ill take Trent and a chance with his weak arm and brains instead of a big arm and a scatterbrain in Jp <_<

I agree.

There are situations where arm strength can be an issue such as bad weather conditions. He is completing passes, avoiding sacks and moving the chains. So whatever arm strength problems he may or may not have, we will live with it.