Trent throwing Deep...........

Buffan00

Noticed Trent throwing a little deeper and the few he hit to Evans seemed planned strikes deep. This is a contrast to last season, and it seems he's eased fears of not having a vertical threat deep downfield. Do you think we see more of this, or was it a gameplan for Seattle and their weak secondary?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed Trent throwing a little deeper and the few he hit to Evans seemed planned strikes deep. This is a contrast to last season, and it seems he's eased fears of not having a vertical threat deep downfield. Do you think we see more of this, or was it a gameplan for Seattle and their weak secondary?

Today's Buff News Story

I'm still not sure about Trent's really long passing game ( over 50yds in the air) .We really haven't seen much of that yet. His midrange passing game 20-40 yds looks great though. I don't think his arm strength is an issue for the long ball, just timing and getting the right arch to the throw, we'll see.

We all know JP has a great long ball, but there is more to the game than that alone.

From what I've seen from Trent so far, he is getting the ball far enough down field to stretch the defense and that's what counts.

I'm still not sure about Trent's really long passing game ( over 50yds in the air) .We really haven't seen much of that yet. His midrange passing game 20-40 yds looks great though. I don't think his arm strength is an issue for the long ball, just timing and getting the right arch to the throw, we'll see.

We all know JP has a great long ball, but there is more to the game than that alone.

From what I've seen from Trent so far, he is getting the ball far enough down field to stretch the defense and that's what counts.

Do you know that in 65% of the games where JP got sufficient enough playing time (I eliminated the mop up/injured early games), he did not complete a pass that resulted in a gain of over 50 yards. I don't have the tapes, but I'll bet that most of those 50+ yard completions did not travel over 50 yards in the air. In all probability, most were a 30-40 yd pass that included 10-20+ RAC yards. Some might have even been screens.

You win with the short passing game...that moves the chains not by low percentage 50+yard throws....Plus you play to the strength of your players...Even with the additiion of Stroud, our defense is suited for staying on the field for short period of time...The Offense has to control the clock and manage the game.

Trent just doesn't throw the deep ball well yet. But I have confidence that he will learn. Any ball over 30 yards is long, it doesn't have to be 50 yards in the air. What he CAN do already are the 30 or so lobs, like the one over the shoulder to Evans. And the 30 yard darts like the TD to Royal. He still has a lot of trouble underthrowing speed receivers deep over 35 or so yards, still often lofts the ball too much. But we don't need him to have the good long passing game yet if he can control the game, and make the downfield balls to Evans or Parrish about 30 yards downfield so the defense cant stack the LOS.

Do you know that in 65% of the games where JP got sufficient enough playing time (I eliminated the mop up/injured early games), he did not complete a pass that resulted in a gain of over 50 yards. I don't have the tapes, but I'll bet that most of those 50+ yard completions did not travel over 50 yards in the air. In all probability, most were a 30-40 yd pass that included 10-20+ RAC yards. Some might have even been screens.

Even using stats you sound like an idiot claiming that JP doesn't have a strong arm.

Even using stats you sound like an idiot claiming that JP doesn't have a strong arm.

I did not see that as his point. The point is that, even with his admittedly strong arm, JP was not exactly flinging it around all the time for deep balls. Truth is, it is quite rare for a QB to throw a ball 50 yards in the air very often, and it is generally a low-percentage throw. It is cool when they do it, but it is more important that they have the arm strength and accuracy to hit the 20-yard out, or fit the ball into a tight window across the middle. That was where JP has had problems, and it is where TE looks to have more promise.

You win with the short passing game...that moves the chains not by low percentage 50+yard throws....Plus you play to the strength of your players...Even with the additiion of Stroud, our defense is suited for staying on the field for short period of time...The Offense has to control the clock and manage the game.

I just want to see Trent throw the ball past the line of scrimmage, especially on 3rd down. He had a good game last week, let's keep it going. :unsure:

Guest dog14787

As the season goes on and TE gets more into a rythm, I would imagine Turk Shonert is going to dial up the long ball more and more to stretch out some of the defenses we face. Meanwhile Marshawn and our huge O-line is going to be chewing off huge chunks of yardage on the ground making it real hard for opposing D's to decide which is the worst of the two evils, TE arm, or Marshawn's legs :unsure:

and the opposing D will be very, very sad :P they can't seem to get the mangy beast off of the field in a timely manner, the Buffalo just kinda does what he wants like he thinks he owns the joint or something, geesh :devil:

Despite their size the OL has shown to be better at protection of QB than run blocking. This tends to indicate they are going throw more and since they give QB time to throw the long ball can be dialed up when there is a good match-up and WRs can create space between DBs.

Trent can't throw deep because he doesn't have the proper throwing mechanics that would allow him to throw deep. He brings the ball up to his ear and basically shot puts the ball. He need to rooster the ball way behind his ear and even past his head, kind of like a baseball player. Until he gets better throwing mechanics he will never be able to throw the ball very far.

Trent can't throw deep because he doesn't have the proper throwing mechanics that would allow him to throw deep. He brings the ball up to his ear and basically shot puts the ball. He need to rooster the ball way behind his ear and even past his head, kind of like a baseball player. Until he gets better throwing mechanics he will never be able to throw the ball very far.

Don Shula re: Dan Marino.

"He doesn't bring the ball up and throw it with that long arm motion. It's 'boom' and the ball's gone with a tremendous whip of the shoulders."

How was his deep ball?

Don Shula re: Dan Marino.

"He doesn't bring the ball up and throw it with that long arm motion. It's 'boom' and the ball's gone with a tremendous whip of the shoulders."

How was his deep ball?

I have noticed Trent does seem to have an odd throwing motion. Also, seems to bounce/hop around just before releasing sometimes.

Not a QB coach. Just seeing this pattern when passing.

Anyone else seeing similar?