Seahawks embarrassed by Bills' special teams play

BillsWatch

Nice article by Seattle opposing press on Bills.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/printer2/ind...html?source=rss

Returns are nice, but what has helped separate the Bills' special teams from the pack and made them arguably the bellwether unit in the NFL over the past several seasons has been their thorough, aggressive and trick-laden attack.

They outthink and outwork the competition.

Special teams coach Bobby April isn't afraid to use anyone or try anything. Moorman's pass attempt, the first touchdown throw by a punter since Josh Miller's on Dec. 28, 2003, was the sixth of his career. A former college track star, Moorman has 11 career carries, including four last season.

Agreed, good story by a talented writer. Can't give much credit to the P-I, though, except for picking a good stringer. Bill Hoppe is based in Buffalo -- used to work for the AP up there, IIRC -- and covers the Sabres beat for the OTH.

And two of the best decisions Dick Jauron ever made were to keep Bobby April on the coaching staff when he took over from Mike Mularkey, then give him the "assistant head coach" title to keep other teams from interviewing him. The Bills are lucky they still have him.

Agreed, good story by a talented writer. Can't give much credit to the P-I, though, except for picking a good stringer. Bill Hoppe is based in Buffalo -- used to work for the AP up there, IIRC -- and covers the Sabres beat for the OTH.

And two of the best decisions Dick Jauron ever made were to keep Bobby April on the coaching staff when he took over from Mike Mularkey, then give him the "assistant head coach" title to keep other teams from interviewing him. The Bills are lucky they still have him.

Question - how much longer do you think April flies under the radar? As I watch retreads and QB coaches take head coaching gigs around the league I wonder why no one is considering April. His special teams are consistently the most prepared and imaginative unit out on the field on Sundays. I think he's richly deserving of a shot at at a head gig, as devastating a loss as it would be for the team.

The biggest thing working against April is his age. Of the 32 coaches only Romeo Crenell & Rod Marinelli got their 1st head coaching jobs at an age in April's range. They were a little older, but most teams hire 1st time head coaches who are in their 40s.

The biggest thing working against April is his age. Of the 32 coaches only Romeo Crenell & Rod Marinelli got their 1st head coaching jobs at an age in April's range. They were a little older, but most teams hire 1st time head coaches who are in their 40s.

True. I don't think this is going to happen, because I'm excited about this season and we look like we're on the right track, but if the Bills were to completely tank this year and finish 7-9 or 6-10, and Ralph was thinking about dumping Jauron, I could imagine him hiring April.

Question - how much longer do you think April flies under the radar? As I watch retreads and QB coaches take head coaching gigs around the league I wonder why no one is considering April. His special teams are consistently the most prepared and imaginative unit out on the field on Sundays. I think he's richly deserving of a shot at at a head gig, as devastating a loss as it would be for the team.

Good question, especially since he coached both offense and defense at the college level. He's already had a couple of head-coaching interviews; at some point, that AHC title won't be enough to scare teams away. He's a master of STs, obviously, but I think he'd be more than capable of running an entire team.

Some observers suggest that a special-teams coach might not have the necessary background for the job, as opposed to an offensive or defensive coordinator. I might remind them that when Kansas City hired Marv Levy in 1977, his only previous pro experience was with the "kicking teams."

Returns are nice, but what has helped separate the Bills' special teams from the pack and made them arguably the bellwether unit in the NFL over the past several seasons has been their thorough, aggressive and trick-laden attack.

Special teams coach Bobby April isn't afraid to use anyone or try anything. Moorman's pass attempt, the first touchdown throw by a punter since Josh Miller's on Dec. 28, 2003, was the sixth of his career. A former college track star, Moorman has 11 career carries, including four last season.

Moorman is a weapon. He'll bury the opposition deep in their own end on punts and when he's not doing that, he's running for a first down or throwing for a TD. A great athlete and easily the most interesting punter in the game to watch.

Moorman is a weapon. He'll bury the opposition deep in their own end on punts and when he's not doing that, he's running for a first down or throwing for a TD. A great athlete and easily the most interesting punter in the game to watch.

And Tackling. Moorman and Lindell are not worried about getting their uniforms dirty. Moorman even went blocking a DE once on special teams and he looked at him "What do you think you are doing?" but he still knocked him down.

One more piece of irony:

After two failed attempts to make the Seattle roster, and two seasons performing in NFL Europe, Moorman signed with the Bills as a free agent in 2001.

One more piece of irony:

After two failed attempts to make the Seattle roster, and two seasons performing in NFL Europe, Moorman signed with the Bills as a free agent in 2001.

Seahawks had chance to have both Moorman and Lindell; Lindell used to play for them. Imagine the stats of those two players playing in a dome?

Cowher was a ST coach in the NFL but for Browns and not when Bills were competitive. We faced Browns in playoffs when Cowher became DC of Chiefs. He was DC of Chiefs when Bills faced Chiefs in playoffs first round 1991 and head coach of Steelers in 1992 when we beat them in Division playoffs.

simply put, watching the replay Denney stood there long enough before the snap that they deserved to be embarassed.

It's not like he was jogging off to the left.

He stopped dead and looked to the holder.

As for the Browns ... We'll see if they can rebound from the Dallas asswhooping

How embarrassing for the Seattle specials team coach...Who is this Bruce DeHaven guy anyway??? :censored::thumbsup:B-)

How embarrassing for the Seattle specials team coach...Who is this Bruce DeHaven guy anyway??? :thumbsup::D;)

I'm sure the players were coached properly just like they were in Home Run Throwup, execution is a different matter.

Oh and it WAS the team which was first to block a kick in 5 some years so they definitely have SOME special teams talent.

My guess is whomever's job was to pick up Denney is first in line for Turk next.