Could Peters hold out cost him his starting job?

PromoTheRobot

Chambers was a journeyman player before coming to the Bills. His brief appearance could make him millions in FA next year. Might be better for him to sit now and let that be the performance people last remember.

This is 100% true, but he has a wife and 3 kids. The Bills F.O. should seize the moment and offer him a Peters type deal (5 years/18 million with a bonus). The bonus alone would equal hitting the lotto, and offer security for his family in case of the very real possibility of injury.

The cap has increased a ton since Peters signed his extension. Please don't hold me to exact numbers, but imo negotiations should begin today.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Only $18M? Now you dissin' me! How I gonna feed my family on $18M?

(Can't wait to hear what they say 'bout Peters' physical - should be some word today.)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :wallbash:

the bills have already announced he passed his physical yesterday and will begin practicing this week

This is 100% true, but he has a wife and 3 kids. The Bills F.O. should seize the moment and offer him a Peters type deal (5 years/18 million with a bonus). The bonus alone would equal hitting the lotto, and offer security for his family in case of the very real possibility of injury.

The cap has increased a ton since Peters signed his extension. Please don't hold me to exact numbers, but imo negotiations should begin today.

what's the point? if he exceeds his deal he could hold out and people like you, mickey, etc will support him for it

and if he falls on his face then the bills will never see the signing bonus again

seems like a lose/lose proposition for the bills, no?

in all seriousness, i think it's a little early to go over the moon on chambers.......yes, he played a very good game yesterday, and yes i'm very excited he'll be the #3 tackle on the roster (barring injury to peters and/or walker) for the remainder of the year, but it's only one game from someone who to this point has always been a journeyman

There's sticking to your guns, and then there's cutting off your nose to spite your face. I'm glad the Bills didn't give in to Peters, and I'm ecstatic the line performed as well as it did against Seattle. However, when Peters is in game shape, it would be ludicrous to keep him off the field to prove some further point, IMO. Saying that the Bills line is better without him is wishful thinking at its finest.

Yup.

The OL only has to screw up one play for your QB to go down and your season with it. Zero reason not to have your best athletes on the field.

There's sticking to your guns, and then there's cutting off your nose to spite your face. I'm glad the Bills didn't give in to Peters, and I'm ecstatic the line performed as well as it did against Seattle. However, when Peters is in game shape, it would be ludicrous to keep him off the field to prove some further point, IMO. Saying that the Bills line is better without him is wishful thinking at its finest.

Jauron has to balance putting the best product on the field without disrupting chemistry. Fortunately, the O-line play has afforded us the luxury of allowing Peters to earn it for 2-3 weeks before getting the start. It is in Peters best interest to earn it and even be inactive for a week or not start for several weeks so that the players will feel like he paid his dues and accept him back. I was just glad he passed his pyhsical

what's the point? if he exceeds his deal he could hold out and people like you, mickey, etc will support him for it

and if he falls on his face then the bills will never see the signing bonus again

seems like a lose/lose proposition for the bills, no?

in all seriousness, i think it's a little early to go over the moon on chambers.......yes, he played a very good game yesterday, and yes i'm very excited he'll be the #3 tackle on the roster (barring injury to peters and/or walker) for the remainder of the year, but it's only one game from someone who to this point has always been a journeyman

Point taken, but we both know the Bills record wrt drafting these guys. Only Butler was drafted by us, and he was a 5th. Assuming Peters come back strong, if either he or Walker goes down, I am not going to feel as bad as before, at least not right away.

Remember, there is 20 million or so in cap space, and the cap will rise next year, because it always does. I am not talking about breaking the bank here, and Chambers, as another poster said, might want to be a ufa. Watch and see how much he signs for if he goes that route.

Point taken, but we both know the Bills record wrt drafting these guys. Only Butler was drafted by us, and he was a 5th. Assuming Peters come back strong, if either he or Walker goes down, I am not going to feel as bad as before, at least not right away.

Remember, there is 20 million or so in cap space, and the cap will rise next year, because it always does. I am not talking about breaking the bank here, and Chambers, as another poster said, might want to be a ufa. Watch and see how much he signs for if he goes that route.

the cap room is there, no doubt - but that can go to evans (and even greer) as far as i'm concerned, with the remainder being pushed into the 2009 cap

i wouldn't put it past the bills to make an effort to sign chambers long-term (they've done it with other key backups) but they may also just let him walk.......a backup OL can be found in free agency or the draft (or perhaps bell is ready to take that spot by next training camp?)- i'd rather save the dollars for an upgrade at C given that fowler is getting up their in age and is an impending free agent.......the starting C spot is much more important then the backup OT spot

You guys are crazy. As soon as is physically possible, Peters plays. Let's keep perspective on Chambers. He's a good back up but I noticed he got away with a couple of holdings. He played well but Peters is in as soon as possible.

i agree - peters needs to find out right away that he's not worth what he thinks

i agree - peters needs to find out right away that he's not worth what he thinks

Once the season starts, I couldn't care less about contracts and holdouts. The best players play when they are ready. I didn't agree with his holdout but it's over and let's play!!

Could Peters hold out cost him his starting job?

I think no but it may cost him another shot at the pro-bowl. If he misses 2 or 3 games and then takes some time to get back to the level he was at last year? He could lose some of his credibility. It always seems easier for players to get back to the pro-bowl than it is to get there the first time, but he is making it harder this year IMO.