WGR

Here are three major things that are wrong with WGR:

1)Mike Schoop hates just about every sport besides Pro Hockey and Tennis. Two very popular sports in the United States.

2)Paul Hamilton is given airtime. This guy has never provided any indepth insight or knowledge and he is the second most negative person on air besides Mike Schoop

3)It's bad enough we have to read about Jerry Sullivan taking up golf in the Buffalo News but to hear him multiple times a week on this station offering his negative opinion is just too much. One outlet is more then enough for this guy.

Credible Sportscasters in town that should be on the only "Sportstalk" station in town are as follows:

1)John Murphy-offers insight and is extremely knowledgeable on numerous sports. Gives fair and balanced opinions

2)Vic Carrucci- again very knowledgeable (common theme) specifically when it comes to ProFootball (most popular sport in country) but can discuss other sports better then current personalities

3)Larry Felser- grandfather of Buffalo sports journalists who has covered the Bills from the start and provides insight on the Sabres

4)Howard Simon & The Bulldog- These two are the only reason to listen to WGR besides Jim Rome

Murphy and Carrucci are both under contract with the Bills radio network which in Buffalo is 97 Rock and 103.3 the Edge. Doubt that they'd be given permission to go on a rival station. And I don't know how willing Larry Felser would be to do a weekly radio show anymore.

Sully on the other hand is a windbag, I can't stand listening to him talk out of his ass.

Schopp, I think is funnier more relatable in person than on the air. And I don't mind Paul Hamilton, I disagree with some of the things he says but I generally like him.

WGR may not be perfect, but at least Chuck Dickerson isn't on the air anymore. At least regularly, I don't know if they are bringing him back for those 2 hours on mondays this year.

I completely agree, Schopp is out of hand. It's the Wednesday before NFL Week 1, it's 5 o'clock drive time and guess what Schopp is talking about?!! That's right, who's going to own the Sabres IF Golisano sells the Sabres. Freakin' ridiculous!! They follow that up with Paul Hamilton who had just no insight at all into the Bills.

Murphy and Carrucci are both under contract with the Bills radio network which in Buffalo is 97 Rock and 103.3 the Edge. Doubt that they'd be given permission to go on a rival station. And I don't know how willing Larry Felser would be to do a weekly radio show anymore.

Sully on the other hand is a windbag, I can't stand listening to him talk out of his ass.

Schopp, I think is funnier more relatable in person than on the air. And I don't mind Paul Hamilton, I disagree with some of the things he says but I generally like him.

WGR may not be perfect, but at least Chuck Dickerson isn't on the air anymore. At least regularly, I don't know if they are bringing him back for those 2 hours on mondays this year.

Coach is kind of a blowhard, but, I think he is, by far, the most knowledgable football person that GR has, during the football season. He may not know all the ins and outs of the Bills locker room, but he knows, and explains, football as well as anyone. He is a little overly critical at times, which makes him annoying. I used to loath him, when I didn't really listen to him much. But he really grew on me this past season.

As for Paul Hamilton, I love hearing him talk about the Sabres...the Bills? Not so much. He doesn't really understand the game more than any avid fan, and doesn't even seem to have any keen insights into the teams innerworkings. He is a hockey guy, doing football...for contractual reasons I am sure. I don't think he is all that negative, just not all that insightful. He is much more useful as a Sabres observer. He was the only hockey person I heard, months before free agency started, hint that he wouldn't be shocked if Chris Drury left the Sabres...he always seemed to intimate that Drury wasn't all that happy with Lindy's coaching style (or, moreover, his line changing habits).

GR is not the greatest....but just listen to the audio vault in the evening, and it is not so bad...just the important stuff, not all the minutia....

I wanted to kill Sully listening to him float the race issue with Peters this morning with Simon. No proof, just floating it out there like a bad fart. Even Simon was incredulous that Sully would be so flip with such an explosive, unsubstantiated suggestion. Does this guy have any journalistic standards, or is he a guy who likes to start fires so he can get an arson scoop? His hatred of the Bills and Ralph Wilson is epic.

PTR

Good reply's

I agree that Murph and Carrucci would not be able to appear on GR because they are under contract elsewhere but an a ideal world they would be at the top of my list . I also agree that Paul Hamilton is insightful with his knowledge and reporting of the Sabres, but with the Bills he offers little. I'll even admit that I think the Coach sometimes offers an informative view with his knowledge of the game but his "blowhardness" gets in the way more often then not. Anyway I'm sure GR won't change their format anytime soon and I'll continue to listen as briefly as possible and if I want great NFL talk I'll flip over to the NFL channel on Sirius.

Let's get this season started!

Schopp was playing Jaurons comments today, and the first thing Jauron said was "we're excited to get out in front of our packed stadium and have the fans make lots of noise at the right times to help us out"

Schopp then goes on to say that Jauron has no right to say anything about the fans because the Bills played one starter in the final pre-season game, and that was a game fans paid to see.....

I swear if the Bills ever win the Superbowl one day, Schopp will spend five minutes talking generalities about the game and then move on to the Sabres.

Schoop only talks about the Sabres because the games are carried on WGR. If not, it would be non stop tennis and baseball followed by anything non sports related.

Sirius radio is a wonderful thing.

I've met Schoop in person and he is one of the biggest dorks I have ever seen. He was the guy that was shoved into lockers in high school. Obviously, the reason he seems to demean everyone over the phone.

Schoop only talks about the Sabres because the games are carried on WGR. If not, it would be non stop tennis and baseball followed by anything non sports related....

like who makes the best appletini, and movies about gladiators...

i dont understand why people continue to listen to WGR if they hate it so much

Agree 100%. If you don't like Schopp, Simon, Coach, whoever... just turn off the radio, people! It isn't that hard. You DO have that choice, you know.

Side note - am I the only one who feels like Dennis Williams is completely lost without a teleprompter? His show has to be the most boring, useless three hours in the history of radio.

The guy just doesn't provide ANYTHING the bum who picks empty pop cans out of my trash couldn't provide.

I've met Schoop in person and he is one of the biggest dorks I have ever seen. He was the guy that was shoved into lockers in high school. Obviously, the reason he seems to demean everyone over the phone.

Schopp does sound like a total @ss on air...he seemingly always has some smart comment about why the previous caller is an idiot and how their opinion is worthless, and that any who disagrees with his obviously correct opinion is a total idiot and shouldn't bother calling. Bulldog just kind of goes with it for the most part, but every once in a while he disagrees...I have to say these guys are way WAY WAY better than that moron Corey Griswald who is on at nights sometimes...

As soon as I hear his voice on, WGR gets shut off...I just can't even take more than about 5 minutes of his screaming and ranting and raving about every single thing...its just SOOOOOOOOO annoying....does anyone else turn off WGR when this numnut is on?