Joe Biden unfit for Veep

So if Vietnamese is a race, does that mean the Cambodian, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Laotians, Malaysians etc are also separate races? How many freaking RACES are there?!

And does that mean Pakastani is a race? Or are Pakastanis actually Indians?

Where does that put Inuits?

Vietnamese are actually "gooks" according to McCain:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../18/MN32194.DTL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vietnamese are actually "gooks" according to McCain:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../18/MN32194.DTL

I wonder what term would be appropriate for the personnel who tortured prisoners at Gitmo and Abu Graib? And if there was a term for those people, would it not be insulting to ALL military personal, 99% of whom are honest and law-abiding, to use that term?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh I am sure we will now hear a wingnut argument about the DEGREE of torture, including the length, amount of pain, etc. But if you are the torturee, it's ALL bad.

I wonder what term would be appropriate for the personnel who tortured prisoners at Gitmo and Abu Graib? And if there was a term for those people, would it not be insulting to ALL military personal, 99% of whom are honest and law-abiding, to use that term?

Oh I am sure we will now hear a wingnut argument about the DEGREE of torture, including the length, amount of pain, etc. But if you are the torturee, it's ALL bad.

I think the term is "evil white folk." Barring that, "honky" usually works.

Criminals?

What else do you call people who violate the Geneva convention?

McCain's logic in thinking it's OK to use the term "gooks" to describe his captors (who, yes, were criminals) is the same as someone saying "I say n*gger, but only about the guys who stole my car" or "Cracker, but only about white folk who won't hire me".

It's also just as much about the fact that he doesn't seem to realize in our polarizing political culture, that saying something like that is purely stupid.

The same can be said for Biden, but I just figured what's good for the goose...

You may be one of the dumbest people to post here. And that's saying a lot considering some of the others around here.

If you actually believe that the torture that Vietnam PoW's endured is anything remotely the same as any instance of "torture" at Abu Graib or Gitmo, or if you actually believe that the difference is insignificant or doesn't matter, then I hope reality really smacks the shiit out of you one day.

You may be one of the dumbest people to post here. And that's saying a lot considering some of the others around here.

If you actually believe that the torture that Vietnam PoW's endured is anything remotely the same as any instance of "torture" at Abu Graib or Gitmo, or if you actually believe that the difference is insignificant or doesn't matter, then I hope reality really smacks the shiit out of you one day.

Funny and accurate. :thumbsup:

You proved me right. Thanks! (Like shooting fish in a barrel). I never said insignificant. And I never said doesn't matter.

I would agree that as observers, five years of hell is worse than 5 minutes. But I defy you to endure 5 minutes of torture and then not hate the person who did it to you.

Which was my point.

Given the knee-jerk attack to words you didn't like, I can't imagine you turning the other cheek to a cattle prod up your...well, never mind. Pun intended.

Thanks again.

You proved me right. Thanks! (Like shooting fish in a barrel). I never said insignificant. And I never said doesn't matter.

I would agree that as observers, five years of hell is worse than 5 minutes. But I defy you to endure 5 minutes of torture and then not hate the person who did it to you.

Which was my point.

Given the knee-jerk attack to words you didn't like, I can't imagine you turning the other cheek to a cattle prod up your...well, never mind. Pun intended.

Thanks again.

You are amazing.

You are so blinded by hatred for some people that you are unable to think cognitively. You have no idea what you're talking about most of the time, but that doesn't stop you from making outrageous comparisons and conclusions to reinforce your ignorant hatred.

I watch TV and tell my wife that there can't possibly be people as dumb as we see, and that it is surely manufactured ignorance on the part of the shows producers and writers. And then I log on here and read the crap you type, and realize how much worse mankind is than I had thought.

Thanks for setting the bar so low for my expections of my fellow man.

You are amazing.

You are so blinded by hatred for some people that you are unable to think cognitively. You have no idea what you're talking about most of the time, but that doesn't stop you from making outrageous comparisons and conclusions to reinforce your ignorant hatred.

I watch TV and tell my wife that there can't possibly be people as dumb as we see, and that it is surely manufactured ignorance on the part of the shows producers and writers. And then I log on here and read the crap you type, and realize how much worse mankind is than I had thought.

talking about blindness and ignorance you look like an expert that's sure!!

Criminals?

What else do you call people who violate the Geneva convention?

McCain's logic in thinking it's OK to use the term "gooks" to describe his captors (who, yes, were criminals) is the same as someone saying "I say n*gger, but only about the guys who stole my car" or "Cracker, but only about white folk who won't hire me".

It's also just as much about the fact that he doesn't seem to realize in our polarizing political culture, that saying something like that is purely stupid.

The same can be said for Biden, but I just figured what's good for the goose...

Bullseye.

A true leader would have optimized his time in POW camp by befriending his captors and showing them the good side of America. McCain chose to dehumanize them and increase the tensions between our cultures. It is like some of these holocaust survivors that are all afraid of Germans just because they were starved as children. That was a long time ago. Get over it. It was probably somewhat bad at the time, but using mean names like Nazi or Gook is really really hurtful, especially coming from someone who lived with them for years of his life.

You are amazing.

This has nothing to do with hatred. It has to do with each individual's perceptions and feelings. I stand firm that any individual who feels like he/she is a victim is going to feel anger, hatred and a desire for retribution that they may act upon, and which may color their dealings with others in the future. And in that respect it really does not matter whether they suffered for five years, or five minutes - to that particular individual.

You ought to consider walking around in someone else's shoes for awhile. I understand why McCain hates his captors, but they were a relative handful of people, many of whom may be dead. So his insistence upon continually using the term "gook" which denigrates an entire populace is really inappropriate. If a person is unfairly treated by a police officer (rare, but it happens) decides to always call police "pigs" ... same thing. It's all very situational but it does no good to demonize large groups of homogenous people because of a bad experience.

It must be nice that you and your wife are genuises by the way, far above the fray unlike the rest of us. You enjoy that now, according to you there aren't many of you.

You ought to consider walking around in someone else's shoes for awhile. I understand why McCain hates his captors, but they were a relative handful of people, many of whom may be dead. So his insistence upon continually using the term "gook" which denigrates an entire populace is really inappropriate. If a person is unfairly treated by a police officer (rare, but it happens) decides to always call police "pigs" ... same thing. It's all very situational but it does no good to demonize large groups of homogenous people because of a bad experience.

Or like calling a political party Repigs or something stupid like that.

But we're above that here aren't we?

Dumbass

This has nothing to do with hatred. It has to do with each individual's perceptions and feelings. I stand firm that any individual who feels like he/she is a victim is going to feel anger, hatred and a desire for retribution that they may act upon, and which may color their dealings with others in the future. And in that respect it really does not matter whether they suffered for five years, or five minutes - to that particular individual.

Exactly! We have had 8 years with a person in power that carries personal vendetta's... And after the Republicans taking some lumps early on in this election, they have resorted to picking people that once again take things personally and handle dealings withe other via vendetta's. The funny thing is that they admit it.

We don't need to go down this path any more... It has created enough strife in the world the past 8 years.