Are the Bills ever going to have another shot?

Dr. Fong

Maybe it's that my wellbutrin hasn't fully kicked in, but I just can't help feel bummed out about yet another football season. I used to look forward to it. The past decade has been kick in the face after kick in the face. I know teams go through cycles and you can't win all the time, but it just seems like this team is content to be about 6-10 to 8-8 every year. Just good enough to fill the stands. Somebody convince me that if not this year at least SOME year.

Maybe it's that my wellbutrin hasn't fully kicked in, but I just can't help feel bummed out about yet another football season. I used to look forward to it. The past decade has been kick in the face after kick in the face. I know teams go through cycles and you can't win all the time, but it just seems like this team is content to be about 6-10 to 8-8 every year. Just good enough to fill the stands. Somebody convince me that if not this year at least SOME year.

Sorry Doc. No promises, no guarantees... Well, except the guarantee that no matter what happens, someone on TBD will have something to complain about. :lol:

Did love your link to the "Final Countdown" though. :lol:

If this isn't the year, this is the group of players that will get it done. We need to get off to a fast start. We can't be running from behind, trying to run the table with 6 weeks to go to get into the playoffs again.

Whitner is going to have a break out year this season. He's going to be passing out the big hits and taking some INT's to the house. Our run defense is going to be dominant again this season with Stroud drawing double teams and our line backers bringing down the pain. Schobel will be back in the double digit sack numbers, maybe a career high, with at least 4 forced fumbles.

Special Teams are going to be dominant once again, with at least 4 return TD's, as well as the best kick coverage.

Lee is going to get back on track this season. He'll have a career year. Marshawn is going to improve on last year's performance. He'll have more yards, TD's, receptions and receiving yards, and probably make the pro bowl. Hardy is going to be the man in the red zone. Robert Royal will also put up career numbers.

Every problem we had from last year was addressed in the draft or FA, and we're getting back very good players from injury.

This team is good, and they have a winning attitude. We have some really good players who have never made the playoffs and are tired of it. They're going to get it done. In the recent past I've been really pumped before football season, like giddy pumped, like last year, when JP was supposed to take his game to the next level and so on and so forth. Never happened.

I don't really feel like that this season. It's like the calm before the storm, because I know in my heart we're going to be good this year.

We just looked great on offense and defense against the Colts. What the heck else do you want?

Just to freakin' win. Just a return to the days that people looked at Buffalo on their schedule with something other than an automatic win on their minds.

Have you ever listen to Wilson talk- he never talks about Superbowls or even playoffs he just hopes the team can be competitive - which I read as just good enough to keep fannies in the seats- Buffalo caught lightning in a bottle with Bill Polian for a while but the overall history of the Bills 341-373 -8 is a little under .500

Have you ever listen to Wilson talk- he never talks about Superbowls or even playoffs he just hopes the team can be competitive - which I read as just good enough to keep fannies in the seats- Buffalo caught lightning in a bottle with Bill Polian for a while but the overall history of the Bills 341-373 -8 is a little under .500

Yeah that's kind of what I'm talking about. There just isn't that killer instinct and my interest suffers as a result. I've had enough of mediocrity. Even during the Super Bowl years there was just this underlying current of not doing that extra little bit that could have put them over the top. Like finding a new defensive coordinator or bringing in some more DL help. Oh well no point fighting old battles.

The bills overall record is irrelevant. Every franchise is just over or just under .500. Every franchise is really bad at some point in time, and every team is really good at some point. The bills were really good for a long time, in fact the most winning franchise in the 90's and during that time before the salary cap, the bills had one of the highest pay rolls in the league thanks to old Ralphie. Not to mention, the only time we hear Wilson talk is when he's doing some lame long winded introduction for something or someone. He's not out there making inspirational speeches about how we're going to the Superbowl. What owner does that?

The bills overall record is irrelevant. Every franchise is just over or just under .500. Every franchise is really bad at some point in time, and every team is really good at some point. The bills were really good for a long time, in fact the most winning franchise in the 90's and during that time before the salary cap, the bills had one of the highest pay rolls in the league thanks to old Ralphie. Not to mention, the only time we hear Wilson talk is when he's doing some lame long winded introduction for something or someone. He's not out there making inspirational speeches about how we're going to the Superbowl. What owner does that?

just like some coaches are better than others - some owners are better than others Ralphs not the worse but he's certainly not the best probably slightly below average.

funny thread. the responses are great. funny question. will we ever have "another shot". the bills SB teams, were like the perfect storm. kelly was a leader. thurman a great back with all the tools. great savvy coaches. vets (lofton, art still, richter, etc). good roll players (hull, conlon, lenard smith). bruce smith - a premier end. cornelius bennett the feared pass rusher. andre reed, who went from rags to riches b/k he ran a perfect slant patterb and skinny post every down. and others.

polian is a mastermind. he knows how to assemble talent. he should have never left blfo. the other gms and coaches have been suspect. free agency requires a new strategy to keep and attrack players. the front office got burned on many high picks. wilson is older and not as in-tune with the day to day operations of his club. the club has gotten "loose." john butler, aj smith, ferguson and dwight adams were class acts, during an era when class acts and good guys were rewarded. times have changed.\

so, we hope for the best and cant compare the past. i think it will require luck to advance. the parity of the teams is evident. ne IS amazing , but they have everything blfo had in the early 1990s.

No question you are a Buffalo sports fan...always looking for the cloud in the silver lining. Never mind the team has looked sharp in two pre-season games. Just focus on the Peters holdout and the fact that it's only pre-season. They can't possibly be as good as they've looked for real, right? There...feel the gloom set in?

PTR

Look at the Colts and Patriots and how long they were really dreadful for...every team has ebbs and flows, and it appears we are coming to the end of one of ours within the next few years...

The pats have been domination since 94 there first playoff appearence in a while. parcells took over and so far they have been to 5 sb's and 3 wins. ever since polian took over the colts in 97 look at them...

There are few things working against the bills:

1) Ralph won't spend $$ at the levels other teams will, which prevents the assembling of the top top talent, to some extent players but especially coaches and front office people that other teams have

2) the Bills now have a reputation as low payers, plus the area has a so so rep with many players and coaches therefore many players and coaches will go elsewhere everything else being equal .... therefore, the Bills need to be built mainly through the draft and by being diligent in grabbing every decent free agent or coach they can afford

3) the bills play in AFC East, which is normally loaded, having franchises not burdened by 1 and 2 above. Players and coaches love NE, Miami and NYC...

BTW, if you've been watching the preseason, Miami and the Jets look to be A LOT better than last year...

Having said all this, I believe the talent has finally come together on this team, the moon and stars have aligned for this year and next and the Bills, if completely healthy all year, should absolutely compete, even for the AFC East title, as I think the Jets and phins may both steal one from the Pats this year.... after next year, I think free agency tears the team apart again (but the future is now!)

GO BILLS

How would Chuck Norris respond to a kick in the face?

How would Stalone respond to a kick in the face?

How would Arnold respond to a kick in the face?

How would Michael Phelps respond to a kick in the face?

How would Trent Edwards respond to a kick in the face? :lol:

How would Batman respond to a kick in the face?

Common Doc F! Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again!!!!!!

Personally I am optimistically awaiting the start of the regular season. I see real progress.

Sorry Doc. No promises, no guarantees... Well, except the guarantee that no matter what happens, someone on TBD will have something to complain about. :lol:

What RJ said. Seriously, though, how a Bills' fan could not be at least somewhat optimistic about this season, looking at the roster compared to what the Bills trotted out a mere three years ago, is beyond me. There are the makings of three very solid units, with a decent amount of depth.

When I survey the AFC, I don't see the three top teams from a year ago getting "better" -- the Pats* and Colts seem down defensively, while the Chargers have some injury issues (and I'm still not sold on Rivers). Throw the rest of the teams into a bag and shake them up -- there's no reason Buffalo can't emerge as a playoff team, given their schedule and improved roster. No other AFC team, on paper, looks that much better than the Bills when comparing all three units.

This is THE time of year to be optimistic.