Darian Barnes

5 Wide

You gotta love when a guy like Deion Sanders literally screams in the booth because he can't believe the collision he just witnessed on kickoff coverage. Barnes will be a cult hero in Western New York.

You gotta love when a guy like Deion Sanders literally screams in the booth because he can't believe the collision he just witnessed on kickoff coverage. Barnes will be a cult hero in Western New York.

Its fine by me if April decides to advocate for us keeping him because of his ST work. The problem I see with this team is that our most effective O set seems to be using the spread offense with the FB sitting firmly on the bench.

My sense is that it will do a great disservice to our productivity if try to make an offensive silk purse out of Barnes sow's ear play as an offensive threat for us. His blocking ability as an FB has not impressed me at all on running plays and I think Lynch is more productive trying to find holes in the D's nickel or dime rather than us counting on Barnes to clear the way for the RB.

Its fine by me if April decides to advocate for us keeping him because of his ST work. The problem I see with this team is that our most effective O set seems to be using the spread offense with the FB sitting firmly on the bench.

My sense is that it will do a great disservice to our productivity if try to make an offensive silk purse out of Barnes sow's ear play as an offensive threat for us. His blocking ability as an FB has not impressed me at all on running plays and I think Lynch is more productive trying to find holes in the D's nickel or dime rather than us counting on Barnes to clear the way for the RB.

How much time will it take for opposing defenses to handle the spread offense if they go to it more in the regular season? I suspect they'll try it to mask their OL deficiencies, and even though spreading things out is great in theory for HS and College, it's not effective against speedier LB's and CB's. Barnes' presence means they'll have another option should the spread not work. That is, if he can figure his role in the offense and hit someone other than Walker and on ST's.

How much time will it take for opposing defenses to handle the spread offense if they go to it more in the regular season? I suspect they'll try it to mask their OL deficiencies, and even though spreading things out is great in theory for HS and College, it's not effective against speedier LB's and CB's. Barnes' presence means they'll have another option should the spread not work. That is, if he can figure his role in the offense and hit someone other than Walker and on ST's.

You're right. Indy and New England have fared quite poorly when they've utilized their talent in the spread offense. Somebody tell them they're playing in the NFL now.

I rewound it and watched several times. I even called my fiance in on the loud one. Just crushing blocks. I think that keeping him around as a FB is probably worth the gamble. Sure he wasn't as useful in this particular game against a lot of undersized DL and LBs, but he sure could come in handy vs some other teams.

I also liked the little FB flair pass. Too bad JP didn't have much touch on that throw.

You're right. Indy and New England have fared quite poorly when they've utilized their talent in the spread offense. Somebody tell them they're playing in the NFL now.

Isn't there a small fact that both those teams are QBed by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and their offense has been 1 and 2 for the last few years.

In 2007, the Bills faced 40 third-and-short (1 or 2 yards to go) situations. They converted just half, including an abominable 12-of-26 rushing attempts (46.2 percent). The year before, they fared slightly better on runs (15-of-22, 68.2 percent), but worse overall (20-of-42, 47.6 percent).

The K-Gun hardly used a fullback, either ... but it sure was nice to have one around for those critical short-yardage plays.