Just how good is Jason Peters?

Mickey

That there is room for compromise, and that both sides, and more importantly Bills fans could be winners.

Yes but you think its the Bills job to crawl to Peters. Where is the compromise from Peters camp, like speaking to the team?

PTR

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but you think its the Bills job to crawl to Peters. Where is the compromise from Peters camp, like speaking to the team?

PTR

If you belive what the Bills have said, they will not talk until Peters reports.

Peters camp seems willing to talk ... about a new contract.

If both sides are dug in, what is there to talk about?

The Bills would rather let Peters sit than comprimise thier 'principles'. NFL success is measured in 2 ways, wins and $.

The Bills have been profitable under Brandon, so Russ Brandon will be a hero when Chambers, Bell and/or some scrub off the waiver wire are the starting tackles on the 7th.

Let's just forget about games and root for the front office. I hope we can be the most profitable team in the NFL this year. Our debt to revenue ratio is one of the best in the NFL, we may have a chance. I'll bet the 10 mil we save on not giving Peters a signing bonus could put us over the top.

If you belive what the Bills have said, they will not talk until Peters reports.

Peters camp seems willing to talk ... about a new contract.

If both sides are dug in, what is there to talk about?

The Bills would rather let Peters sit than comprimise thier 'principles'. NFL success is measured in 2 ways, wins and $.

The Bills have been profitable under Brandon, so Russ Brandon will be a hero when Chambers, Bell and/or some scrub off the waiver wire are the starting tackles on the 7th.

Let's just forget about games and root for the front office. I hope we can be the most profitable team in the NFL this year. Our debt to revenue ratio is one of the best in the NFL, we may have a chance. I'll bet the 10 mil we save on not giving Peters a signing bonus could put us over the top.

Man you are waaayyy off the mark with that post. The Peters situation isn't about saving the Bills money. In case you missed it the NFL has a salary cap and teams, even the Bills, spend up to it. This is about rewarding a player who has taken a "f*** you" position toward his team and teammates. The Bills are reworking a deal for Evans. Crowell will be getting a deal too. Kelsay got deal. Schobel got a deal. Butler got a deal. All these players show up and play. They talk to the Bills. They show respect.

Peters has not spoke to the Bills since his injury-ending surgery. He has not come to any OTA's or camp. From what we hear, neither he or his agent has even uttered the words" I want a new deal" to the Bills! This behavior to a team that has treated Peters well since they gave him a shot.

So if you are trying to build a team mentality, why do you reward someone who is selfish and is showing no respect to his team or teammates? No one denies Peters deserves a raise. But if you roll over for players who still have 3 years on their contracts then you can expect half your roster to start holding out.

This entire hold out can be blamed on Peters new agent Eugene Parker. Parker needs to get Peters a new deal or else he doesn't make any money off him. But Parker totally overplayed his hand. he assumed the Bills (like you and some other posters) would curl up into a fetal position over Peters holding out. But instead the rest of the team has picked up the slack. So what leverage does Peters have now? Zippo. He can show up or he can lose 3.5 million dollars. His choice.

PTR

Man you are waaayyy off the mark with that post. The Peters situation isn't about saving the Bills money. In case you missed it the NFL has a salary cap and teams, even the Bills, spend up to it. This is about rewarding a player who has taken a "f*** you" position toward his team and teammates. The Bills are reworking a deal for Evans. Crowell will be getting a deal too. Kelsay got deal. Schobel got a deal. Butler got a deal. All these players show up and play. They talk to the Bills. They show respect.

Peters has not spoke to the Bills since his injury-ending surgery. He has not come to any OTA's or camp. From what we hear, neither he or his agent has even uttered the words" I want a new deal" to the Bills! This behavior to a team that has treated Peters well since they gave him a shot.

So if you are trying to build a team mentality, why do you reward someone who is selfish and is showing no respect to his team or teammates? No one denies Peters deserves a raise. But if you roll over for players who still have 3 years on their contracts then you can expect half your roster to start holding out.

This entire hold out can be blamed on Peters new agent Eugene Parker. Parker needs to get Peters a new deal or else he doesn't make any money off him. But Parker totally overplayed his hand. he assumed the Bills (like you and some other posters) would curl up into a fetal position over Peters holding out. But instead the rest of the team has picked up the slack. So what leverage does Peters have now? Zippo. He can show up or he can lose 3.5 million dollars. His choice.

PTR

C2C is an effective means of fooling fans into thinking the team is devoting max financial resources toward player salaries. They're not, but obviously enough buy that they are. The Bills have about 19M in cap room remaining, though the team's budget probably doesn't call for them to move any closer to the cap, save for an Evans extension which won't get them to within 5M of that figure. Parker knows this (and represents enough guys already to have a high salary) and so Peters doesn't show.

It's you who is off-base, especially citing small deals and of all contracts, Schobel's. The Bills have proven that it will take an awful lot to renegotiate a deal, but come on. Every guy on that team knows why Peters is holding out, and no one's said he's a bad teammate. Only you and message board posters are pushing this ridiculous opinion. No one said anything anti-Schobel when he missed OTA's in pursuit of a new deal.

Peters has more leverage than you think, given the dearth of great LT's, his youth, and unlimited potential. This is not a Schobel thing, who was nearly 30 when he got his new deal. This isn't a mini-deal like K. Williams, Parrish, and Butler received for being average to decent starters.

I'm not happy he's not there, especially after tonight, but don't belittle a pro athlete who had the motivation to want to play, regardless of position and now has the ability to get more money. If you were promoted to a new hugely responsible job, you'd want to be paid more too. Stop being so obtuse.

Man you are waaayyy off the mark with that post. The Peters situation isn't about saving the Bills money.

I was trying to show how dumb it is to root for a front office. I do not think the Bills' 'no report-no contract' stance is a way to win games. If the Bills are willing to rework the deal, why didn't they start talking before camp and prevent this from getting out of hand.

If there has been no contact between the Bills and Peters' agent, does anyone even know why he's holding out? If it is anything other than a contract, then Peters is a flake. If Peters is the next Ricky Williams, why didn't the Bills look for a tackle in the off-season.

I was trying to show how dumb it is to root for a front office. I do not think the Bills' 'no report-no contract' stance is a way to win games. If the Bills are willing to rework the deal, why didn't they start talking before camp and prevent this from getting out of hand.

If there has been no contact between the Bills and Peters' agent, does anyone even know why he's holding out? If it is anything other than a contract, then Peters is a flake. If Peters is the next Ricky Williams, why didn't the Bills look for a tackle in the off-season.

Peters has been out of football for a long time. He had surgery. Peters stock is dropping like a stone. Buffalo's O line in the last 2 games looks better than it has since the super bowl teams. I do not want to see this chemistry destroyed by a talented but selfish player.

I think it's 50 -50 that Peters may be done with football.

Peters has been out of football for a long time. He had surgery. Peters stock is dropping like a stone. Buffalo's O line in the last 2 games looks better than it has since the super bowl teams. I do not want to see this chemistry destroyed by a talented but selfish player.

I think it's 50 -50 that Peters may be done with football.

I don't know that I'd carry it to those extremes, but there's certainly something to be said for two consecutive strong showings by the Bills' "ones" on offense in just slightly more than a half's worth of work -- three TDs and one FG, including a jaw-dropping 90+ yard, ten minute affair last night.

I'm not happy he's not there, especially after tonight, but don't belittle a pro athlete who had the motivation to want to play, regardless of position and now has the ability to get more money. If you were promoted to a new hugely responsible job, you'd want to be paid more too. Stop being so obtuse.

I don't think he was belittling the effect of Peters in the Bills line up. It is the way he has approached this whole problem has been the biggest problem for the Bills to deal with. If Peters reports to camp and says I would like to negotiate and if the Bills offered him a look at the negotiation in good faith for reporting to camp, this would have been fine.

Your every day experience is a little off. If you are offered a higher, better and demanding position and your salary is not bumped, what do the majority folks do. Sit at home and wait for the salary to be bumped up ? No...we grudgingly will work and let the employer know that you need to be paid on par for the new job and the employer will then take care of it down the road. I have not heard of people sitting at home and refusing to report to work because their pay is not taken care of.

Is there nothing wrong with the team pursuing a course that will eventually cost us this player? I think he has certainly proved his worth already. One pro bowl year and some proof that he woudl have made it the year before despite playing 1/2 the year on the right side if he hadn't have been such an unknown. (See Peter Kings 2007 ballot and what Ryan had to say to McNally when he saw Peters' tape after he already turned in his ballot). If it was a choice between losing him and paying him now, what woud you choose? Screw him over now and sooner or later, he will bolt as soon as he can. At the very least, he would be gone after this contract and though 3 years might seem like a long time, he has a lot more than 3 years of football left in him.

Maybe you have missed the "Peters is a selfish peckerhead, screw we don't need him, he isn't all that good, etc." posts that are all over the board. I haven't. This post is a response to that stuff and if it bothers you, a good solution might be to not read it.

Mickey are you really Jason Peters crashing our board????????

Peters has not spoke to the Bills since his injurycareer-ending surgery. He has not come to any OTA's or camp. From what we hear, neither he or his agent has even uttered the words" I want a new deal" to the Bills! This behavior to a team that has treated Peters well since they gave him a shot.

PTR

Fixed it for you, PTR. Other than that 'typo', you are spot-on & I agree with everything you say.

(EDIT: Looking more & more like guy will never play another down of football, so maybe he can sue his surgeon for big $$$$ - does Parker make anything off that?)