If Peters doesn't show

Nothing personal but I am getting sick and tired of digging up these links every other day. Search my prior posts if you don't believe me. Essentially, Brandon was talking about the last time he actually saw Peters and he said it was after his surgery when he was in town getting checked out by the team doctors.

The team itself has not been shy about slamming Peters in public so I am sure that if they had a concern about his health, we would have heard about it. The only place that is being metioned as justification for flatly refusing to give him a new deal this year is around here.

Okay, one more time, just this once and only because its you: Links dealing with Peters

It would be possible that he turned down an offer but then Brandon has publicly stated that they expect him to play under his current contract this year. Brandon hasn't been reluctant to mouth off in public about Peters and it would help his argument if in fact they made him a solid offer and he turned them down so there would be no need to keep that secret. He would have tossed that in along with all that track record of silence stuff.

The whole offense doesn't turn around Peters, I would agree. However, he is the best player on this line, he is among the best at his position in the entire league and as good as he is, he is going to get even better. I guarantee there is not a team in the league that wouldn't be elated to have the chance to make him the highest paid LT in the league. At present, there are stiffs all around the league making twice what he makes.

We got an all pro year out of Peters at a bargain basement price. Now the team wants to get yet another all pro year out of him for a relative pittance. Yet no one sees that as being greedy. No, all you hear around here is that Peters is a greedy "peckerhead".

Pennywise and pound foolish.

Well of course any team that really needs a good left tackle would like to sign him, but those teams don't already have him under a contract, do they. It would seem very reasonable to me for the Bills to want Peters to play another year to substantiate that he can be a pro bowl caliber player longer term and to also demonstrate that he can remain healthy. Assuming he does that he would also demonstrate that he's a team guy. Right now it's fair to question his commitment, his health and his ability to sustain pro bowl level play. He's not doing any of those things now. The holdout tactic is fundementally wrong and is a breach of his contract. It's no different than than the Bills deciding mid-season to pay a particular player less than his contracted amount if they aren't happy with his play. That would be a serious breach of contract just as a holdout is. Contracts usually get renegotiated when if benefits both parties. A benefit the Bills would get from a new deal would be to lock up Peters longer term. That would come at a very high price, one that they may not be willing to pay until they see Peters perform at a high level for just a bit longer. Peters on the other hand can increase his value with another good year. I wouldn't call Peters and his agents "peckerheads". Jackasses seems more appropriate to me.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well of course any team that really needs a good left tackle would like to sign him, but those teams don't already have him under a contract, do they. It would seem very reasonable to me for the Bills to want Peters to play another year to substantiate that he can be a pro bowl caliber player longer term and to also demonstrate that he can remain healthy. Assuming he does that he would also demonstrate that he's a team guy. Right now it's fair to question his commitment, his health and his ability to sustain pro bowl level play. He's not doing any of those things now. The holdout tactic is fundementally wrong and is a breach of his contract. It's no different than than the Bills deciding mid-season to pay a particular player less than his contracted amount if they aren't happy with his play. That would be a serious breach of contract just as a holdout is. Contracts usually get renegotiated when if benefits both parties. A benefit the Bills would get from a new deal would be to lock up Peters longer term. That would come at a very high price, one that they may not be willing to pay until they see Peters perform at a high level for just a bit longer. Peters on the other hand can increase his value with another good year. I wouldn't call Peters and his agents "peckerheads". Jackasses seems more appropriate to me.

If the Bills aren't happy with someone's play they can cut him. You do know that players sign contracts that are not guaranteed, right? You should also know that this is the reason that there are holdouts league wide from disgruntled players who are clearly being underpaid. Players who's careers can be cut short on one play. The smart teams are the ones who realize that rewarding the truly great players on their team will give their other players incentive to be great. Rewarding subpar play (see Chris Kelsay) only a creates situation of unfairness which is where Peters is coming from. Peters is far from a jackass, he knows how much his value is. It's just too bad the Bills don't and will sit and wait till their promising, but injury prone, QB is on IR the rest of the season to realize this.

If the Bills aren't happy with someone's play they can cut him are schitt-outa-luck regarding the lucrative signing bonus they paid out. You do know that players sign contracts that signing bonuses are not guaranteed, right? You should also know that this is the reason that there are holdouts league wide from disgruntled players who are clearly being underpaid were ecstatic with their contracts until someone came along who made more money then them. Players who's careers can be cut short on one play sycophantic agents encourage ill-advised holdouts in hopes of hitting 'big paydirt' for themselves. The smart teams are the ones who realize that rewarding the truly great players on their team petulance, arrogance, and selfish greed will give their other players incentive to be great behave in a similar fashion. Rewarding subpar play (see Chris Kelsay) such behavior only a creates situation of unfairness which is where Peters is coming from for every player working their asses off in OTAs, training camp, and preseason games. Peters is far from has a jackass, he knows how much his value is for an agent. It's just too bad the Bills don't and Peters will sit and wait till their promising, but injury prone, QB is on IR the DNR list the rest of the season to realize this.

Fixed it. :thumbsup:

Respectfully, I totally disagree. Schobel got his extension with 3 years left and after he had made the pro bowl for the first time. Peters made it for the first time last year but got serious consideration the year before, his first as a starter and when he spent a good chunk of the year at RT. Arguably, Peters has done far more to establish that he is no flash in the pan than Schobel who took many years to flash even once and now is on the backside of his career.

As for his committment, he didn't just join the team this year. He was drafted in 2004 so they have had 3 years to see his committment. Going from a TE on special teams to replacing a 4th overall pick at RT and then to pro bowl status at LT garnering gushing praise from a veteran defensive MVP doesn't happen for a guy who is mailing it in. He has played pro bowl level for two years, as an unknown from nowhere on a struggling franchise, it just took a year for everyone else to see it. I posted an article showing how one nfl coach wanted to change his vote after playing against Peters in the last game of 2007 and Peter King had him on his 2007 ballot.

As for his injury, the only people worried about that are here on the board. Brandon whined at the start of camp about Peters and certainly wouldn't have been shy to justify his hard line stance by using his injury. Oh, and there is that little fact about Peters coming to Buffalo to be checked out by the team doctors after his surgery.

Besides, all that is moot anyway isn't it? Lets say he does as you say he should, comes in and has his 3rd "pro bowl" level season. Why would the team extend him next year when they don't have to? He will still have 2 years left on this deal and there is nothing that moots that contract for making the pro bowl once, twice or twenty times. So tell me, why would the situation be any different next year? Please don't tell me that the team would be willing to part with 20 million bucks just because they'll want to be nicey-nice.

I would add that all those guys Brandon talked about the team having extended, were pretty much all extended when Marv was the GM, not Brandon. So far, I think all Brandon has done is sign one crop of rookies, Mitchell and Stroud. He has one of the best players on a team that hasn't made the playoffs in many a long year holding out with no end in sight and Lee Evans still doesn't have a new contract.

Respectfully, I totally disagree. Schobel got his extension with 3 years left and after he had made the pro bowl for the first time. Peters made it for the first time last year but got serious consideration the year before, his first as a starter and when he spent a good chunk of the year at RT. Arguably, Peters has done far more to establish that he is no flash in the pan than Schobel who took many years to flash even once and now is on the backside of his career.

As for his committment, he didn't just join the team this year. He was drafted in 2004 so they have had 3 years to see his committment. Going from a TE on special teams to replacing a 4th overall pick at RT and then to pro bowl status at LT garnering gushing praise from a veteran defensive MVP doesn't happen for a guy who is mailing it in. He has played pro bowl level for two years, as an unknown from nowhere on a struggling franchise, it just took a year for everyone else to see it. I posted an article showing how one nfl coach wanted to change his vote after playing against Peters in the last game of 2007 and Peter King had him on his 2007 ballot.

As for his injury, the only people worried about that are here on the board. Brandon whined at the start of camp about Peters and certainly wouldn't have been shy to justify his hard line stance by using his injury. Oh, and there is that little fact about Peters coming to Buffalo to be checked out by the team doctors after his surgery.

Besides, all that is moot anyway isn't it? Lets say he does as you say he should, comes in and has his 3rd "pro bowl" level season. Why would the team extend him next year when they don't have to? He will still have 2 years left on this deal and there is nothing that moots that contract for making the pro bowl once, twice or twenty times. So tell me, why would the situation be any different next year? Please don't tell me that the team would be willing to part with 20 million bucks just because they'll want to be nicey-nice.

I would add that all those guys Brandon talked about the team having extended, were pretty much all extended when Marv was the GM, not Brandon. So far, I think all Brandon has done is sign one crop of rookies, Mitchell and Stroud. He has one of the best players on a team that hasn't made the playoffs in many a long year holding out with no end in sight and Lee Evans still doesn't have a new contract.

I don't recall Schobel holding out and even if he did, the Bills have a new GM who apparently won't cave in to a holdout.

If the Bills aren't happy with someone's play they can cut him. You do know that players sign contracts that are not guaranteed, right? You should also know that this is the reason that there are holdouts league wide from disgruntled players who are clearly being underpaid. Players who's careers can be cut short on one play. The smart teams are the ones who realize that rewarding the truly great players on their team will give their other players incentive to be great. Rewarding subpar play (see Chris Kelsay) only a creates situation of unfairness which is where Peters is coming from. Peters is far from a jackass, he knows how much his value is. It's just too bad the Bills don't and will sit and wait till their promising, but injury prone, QB is on IR the rest of the season to realize this.

Peters may not be truly great yet in the eyes of the front office.

Ugh...

Privately, Peters continues to maintain that he plans to sit out the regular-season opener, beyond the opener and as far into the season -- even the full season -- until he has the deal he wants. He is prepared to do it while foregoing his $190,000 weekly in-season paychecks. The Bills are as resolute as Peters.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?campai...9000d5d80a3e78d

Actually, a good portion of a players contract is guaranteed. Clements will never see the $80M he supposedly signed for but over $20M is guaranteed.

Now this is getting ridiculous. The Bills are acting like the incompetent Darcy Regier and Peters's lack of communication is immature. Unless they are secretly having discussions this deal should have gotten done last winter. Darn, another Buffalo Team's important part being left out to insure the team won't make the playoffs.

With the Jets adding Favre, and the Fish getting Pennington, the Bills will be lucky to finish third in this division without all cylinders firing. Peters is one of the cylinders. Common Ralph wake up for a few minutes, get over your dementia and pay some Bills, or at least open up the lines of Communication.

If not trade him for another tackle and some draft picks and do it now! But it is probably too late to do it. In today's economy Peters is lucky to have a job, get rid of him and his attitude. If he wants to play, make it somewhere else. Otherwise, make him sit for three years and black ball him from football. I am tired of immature athletes not living up to their contracts and money grubbing owners who won't take care of their own.

Now this is getting ridiculous. The Bills are acting like the incompetent Darcy Regier and Peters's lack of communication is immature. Unless they are secretly having discussions this deal should have gotten done last winter. Darn, another Buffalo Team's important part being left out to insure the team won't make the playoffs.

With the Jets adding Favre, and the Fish getting Pennington, the Bills will be lucky to finish third in this division without all cylinders firing. Peters is one of the cylinders. Common Ralph wake up for a few minutes, get over your dementia and pay some Bills, or at least open up the lines of Communication.

If not trade him for another tackle and some draft picks and do it now! But it is probably too late to do it. In today's economy Peters is lucky to have a job, get rid of him and his attitude. If he wants to play, make it somewhere else. Otherwise, make him sit for three years and black ball him from football. I am tired of immature athletes not living up to their contracts and money grubbing owners who won't take care of their own.

so we should have re-negotiated a 5 year contract before year 2 was even complete?

im pretty sure the Bills did what they could to lock him up when they extended him the first time.

damn that Front Office for expecting a contract to be honored at least HALF WAY...

Nice work, but it's probably falling on deaf ears....as deaf as ours. :wallbash:

Not completly deaf. I've read the signing bonus argument before. I find the fact that teams cannot recover signing bonuses is a much better argument than the statements 'players must honor the contract' or 'If he were a regular guy, he'd be fired.'

I want Peters on the feild September 7th. If he's not, I will blame the Bills more than I blame Peters. It's about 60/40. The main reason is that I think Peters is to dumb and Parker is to arrogent to know any better.

Whichever side steps up and makes the 1st move towards getting Peters on the field (for the Bills) will be the hero in my book.

Not completly deaf. I've read the signing bonus argument before. I find the fact that teams cannot recover signing bonuses is a much better argument than the statements 'players must honor the contract' or 'If he were a regular guy, he'd be fired.'

I want Peters on the feild September 7th. If he's not, I will blame the Bills more than I blame Peters. It's about 60/40. The main reason is that I think Peters is to dumb and Parker is to arrogent to know any better.

Whichever side steps up and makes the 1st move towards getting Peters on the field (for the Bills) will be the hero in my book.

if he's not in town by wednesday then i cant see him playing in the opener.

and you would blame the Bills for trying to protect it's future interests more than 2 guys you just stated are dumb and arrogant?

i dont get it. so the FO is supposed to cave to every stupid player and agent? at the expense of foresight?

and if Peters does bother showing up for work, he'll be the hero for ending his own stupid pout session?

so we should have re-negotiated a 5 year contract before year 2 was even complete?

im pretty sure the Bills did what they could to lock him up when they extended him the first time.

damn that Front Office for expecting a contract to be honored at least HALF WAY...

Sure, but the market changed since then with Dockery, Walker and Peters' on field performance. Use some common sense and cut a deal halfway, add a year or two give him a bonus, and if he is still intractable, go public and make sure that he never works again in the NFL. Carrot and Big Stick.

Sure, but the market changed since then with Dockery, Walker and Peters' on field performance. Use some common sense and cut a deal halfway, add a year or two give him a bonus, and if he is still intractable, go public and make sure that he never works again in the NFL. Carrot and Big Stick.

he has just spent this offseason proving that it doesnt matter how long you sign him for. the second that he or his agent feel "the market has changed", or he is better than what he is earning, or previously signed contract is worthless. why bother?

and you cant do the "never works in the NFL again" route. there is a players union. they would never stand for it. at this point, we cant even bench him for the next 3 years or else the Union would be all over the FO.

edit: please do not misunderstand. i am a huge Peters fan. i think that he is good enough to deserve the big paycheck. i just think that he is going about this all wrong and has shown just how big of a problem he can be.

and you cant do the "never works in the NFL again" route. there is a players union. they would never stand for it. at this point, we cant even bench him for the next 3 years or else the Union would be all over the FO.

I agree with your edit. I think Peters is going about it all wrong. But what do you want the Bills to do?

They can't bench him for 3 years. Should they trade him?

I don't recall Schobel holding out and even if he did, the Bills have a new GM who apparently won't cave in to a holdout.

He skipped the frist 4 days of off season practice in March of 2007 but the point is that he didn't have to hold out because the team conceded that he should get a new deal even though he had 3 years left and conceded that in February of 2007 which gave them plenty of time to get the numbers worked out before camp, which they did. He actually signed 2-3 weeks in but he said himself that the deal was done before camp except for some details.

You may be right about Brandon but neither he nor his supporters can have it both ways. You can't justify the disparate treatment by saying its a new GM while at the same time arguing that if Peters came in to camp, he would get that new deal because the Bills have a track record of extending guys out. Those extensions were not done by Brandon. It isn't fair to credit the team for being willing to pony up extra coin for top level performance when the current regime has no track record of doing that.

I am not faulting Brandon for this whole mess by the way. Parker's job is to get a good deal for Peters and he hasn't done that. Plus, it was his advice that got Peters where he is now, playing for far less than he is worth (one of the many reasons I think that if Peters does have to pay fines, Parker reduce his fees accordingly). Brandon's job is to keep our best players on the field without exceeding the cap. He isn't doing that either.