Demetrius Bell

Haven't heard squat in the press anywhere else regarding 7th rounder, Demetrius Bell, who played a good bit of left tackle last week. After my brother pointed out how well he played, I went back and took a second look and specifically watched most of his offensive plays. For the most part, the guy played extremely well, especially considering it was only his second game as a pro.

The other thing I really took notice of was that it's very obvious what one of JPs biggest problems is - after his intial dropback, he doesn't step up into the pocket when the D-lineman are coming around the outside. He gets that deer in the headlight freezeup and gets sacked. He could give himself that extra second to find a receiver or throw it away. He's taking sacks unnecessarily.

Haven't heard squat in the press anywhere else regarding 7th rounder, Demetrius Bell, who played a good bit of left tackle last week. After my brother pointed out how well he played, I went back and took a second look and specifically watched most of his offensive plays. For the most part, the guy played extremely well, especially considering it was only his second game as a pro.

The other thing I really took notice of was that it's very obvious what one of JPs biggest problems is - after his intial dropback, he doesn't step up into the pocket when the D-lineman are coming around the outside. He gets that deer in the headlight freezeup and gets sacked. He could give himself that extra second to find a receiver or throw it away. He's taking sacks unnecessarily.

JP also steps up before he's ready to throw. So he drops back, stands, steps up, then stands some more.

Regarding DBell, may be the Bills strategy moving forward will be to unearth freakish talent in the late rounds for crucial positions like LT so they can save some scratch and constantly have a rotation of opportunity hungry players. Certainly doesn't bode well for Peters' demands.

Yep that has been JP's biggest problem since coming into the league. His pocket presence leaves much to be desired -- he just doesn't have the gameday awareness to be consistently successful. Not his "fault" exactly, some guys just don't have it and can't develop it for some reason. His best (and, IMO only) chance for consistent success is to go to a team with an excellent offensive line and a coordinator that will let him take off and run whenever he pleases.

I agree with you about Demetrius Bell. I watched him pretty closely, and he looked very comfortable on the field. He has good size, and I thought he really got on his man in the running game. From what I saw, he looks to have a future playing in the NFL. Looks much more polished than a rookie 7th round pick at this stage. I would not be suprised if Peters does not come back, that we see some D. Bell at tackle at some point during the season.

As for Losman, it never changes. He has a big arm, but just lacks the intangibles needed to be a successful QB in the NFL. It does not come natural for him, and by his 5th year the game should have slowed down to the point where he can consistently make plays. He is a career backup.

I love what they're doing with Bell. Making it really simple. He's going to learn to play LT and that's it. Then they give him lots of good playing time in the pre-season at only that position.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the practice squad this year, and a very good back-up next year.

Practice squad? They may well IR Matt Murphy and carry Bell on the roster, because someone else might sign him if they try to sneak him through waivers.

Depends on Peters, though. If he continues his Invisible Man act, I'm not sure the team could go into the season with a rookie as the No. 3 tackle.

To me JPL just doesnt have the "feel" of the pressure.....

Lets not forget that Losman is a holy terrer as a scrambler and really moves well in doing that.....but you are not seeing it because he doesn't have the sense of when to take off......

Like the sack he took last week.....had he took off just a second sooner....he escapes that sack and probably makes a big gainer down the field with his feet.

Practice squad? They may well IR Matt Murphy and carry Bell on the roster, because someone else might sign him if they try to sneak him through waivers.

Depends on Peters, though. If he continues his Invisible Man act, I'm not sure the team could go into the season with a rookie as the No. 3 tackle.

On your practice squad point, I find it amazing that we were able to put Peters on the PS a few years ago. Here was a guy that many people, including myself, thought should have been drafted. Then we landed him as an undrafted FA. Then we were able to sneak him on the PS.

I wonder if some teams might have their eye on Bell, thinking we've got a knack for finding these raw LT prospects.

Funny...I was gonna start a thread on this guy too :rolleyes: After watching the Pitt game a 2nd time, and really focusing on Bell, I thought the kid looked really good. Especially for someone who was touted as being so raw coming out of college, I thought he handled himself admirably. Didn't look out of place at all.

Not a bad idea.

Ideally Peters is re-signed to a long-term extension and Bell is eventually moved to RT and dominates there, giving the Bills a great pair of tackles. Now if they could just find a center...

Don't give Walker short shrift just yet. The guy has made a pretty impressive transition from RT to LT in a short period of time. Granted, it's training camp and preseason, but I've only seen him get beat once -- and he's a mauler in the run game.

Staying on point, however, I really liked the Bell pick the more I read about the kid, and I hope he's another diamond in the rough for this organization.

Ideally Peters is re-signed to a long-term extension and Bell is eventually moved to RT and dominates there, giving the Bills a great pair of tackles. Now if they could just find a center...

Everybody likes a great pair...oh wait, you're talking about tackles. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think they SHOULD carry him on the roster. He's basically playing against lesser players than he'd have to face in the regular season, but regardless of that he obviously has quick feet but is very fluid in pass protection. He can't get movement in the run game yet, but who cares if he shows potential as a blindside protector.

Yeah, I think they SHOULD carry him on the roster. He's basically playing against lesser players than he'd have to face in the regular season, but regardless of that he obviously has quick feet but is very fluid in pass protection. He can't get movement in the run game yet, but who cares if he shows potential as a blindside protector.

I really think Peters' intransigence is the only possible holdup, and I'd hate to see them keep Estes or sign another journeyman (in lieu of keeping Bell on the roster) because of it. Dammit, 71, get in here already.

And it's a lot easier to teach run blocking than pass protection, wouldn't you say?

You have to like his aggressive style in the willingness to run block however....at least that is what I saw.

On your practice squad point, I find it amazing that we were able to put Peters on the PS a few years ago. Here was a guy that many people, including myself, thought should have been drafted. Then we landed him as an undrafted FA. Then we were able to sneak him on the PS.

I wonder if some teams might have their eye on Bell, thinking we've got a knack for finding these raw LT prospects.

The NY Jets signed him off our practice squad at first..Then we signed him to our active roster, I believe they didnt want to lose him...We werent succesful in sending him to the practice squad..I think..

After further review I guess I am wrong..I cant find any link to back it up..All I could find was a Practice Squad notation and he was called to active duty in November 2004...I coulda swore I remembered him being signed by the Jets and then we signed him to active..Must have been a dream...

The NY Jets signed him off our practice squad at first..Then we signed him to our active roster, I believe they didnt want to lose him...We werent succesful in sending him to the practice squad..I think..

It was the Giants and they brought him in for a tryout, but didn't sign him. The Bills added him to their PS soon after and the rest is history.