Usain Bolt

KD in CA

Watching the swimming might make people think that world records fall all the time, and while that may be true in the pool, it's not the case in track and field. Thus, Bolt's accomplishment last night in the 100m finals is quite remarkable, smashing the world record and becoming the first ever to crack 9.7.

he fast

And...he clearly left a couple hundredths of a second on the track considering he started showboating with 20 yards left in the race!

Why in most other sports are the Olympians good winners, but in the 100m dash, you get to act like a buttnut when you win? The silver medalist was celebrating like a post-sack Mark Gastineau. Funny that as fast as Bolt was, his stupid pre-ending celebration cost him time. 100 dollar body in a ten cent head.

maybe because the rest of us get 15 minutes of fame....these guys get less than 10 seconds.... :unsure:

Why in most other sports are the Olympians good winners, but in the 100m dash, you get to act like a buttnut when you win? The silver medalist was celebrating like a post-sack Mark Gastineau. Funny that as fast as Bolt was, his stupid pre-ending celebration cost him time. 100 dollar body in a ten cent head.

Watching the swimming might make people think that world records fall all the time, and while that may be true in the pool, it's not the case in track and field. Thus, Bolt's accomplishment last night in the 100m finals is quite remarkable, smashing the world record and becoming the first ever to crack 9.7.

he fast

And...he clearly left a couple hundredths of a second on the track considering he started showboating with 20 yards left in the race!

Usain Bolt turned it off, because he was by far and large the best runner there. He could have on that race ran well under 9.5. The guy would have been a household name already if he didn't get hurt before Athens as a 17/18 year old. He is legitimately able to break Michael Johnsons 200 Record and 400 Record as well.

Kudos, I was going to post this last nite, but there was no video to support it, as NBC blocked the one video I did see on youtube from being shown.

He probably just did that because he was being an idiot, but it'll make it easier for him to break his own record the next time he races. It'd be amazing if he let up because he "only" wanted to win the gold medal this time and wasn't worried about the world record that he'll be setting and re-setting for the next few years.

He probably just did that because he was being an idiot, but it'll make it easier for him to break his own record the next time he races. It'd be amazing if he let up because he "only" wanted to win the gold medal this time and wasn't worried about the world record that he'll be setting and re-setting for the next few years.

he was on record before the finals saying that he wanted to win gold, and wasn't worried about records.

Usain Bolt turned it off, because he was by far and large the best runner there. He could have on that race ran well under 9.5. The guy would have been a household name already if he didn't get hurt before Athens as a 17/18 year old. He is legitimately able to break Michael Johnsons 200 Record and 400 Record as well.

Kudos, I was going to post this last nite, but there was no video to support it, as NBC blocked the one video I did see on youtube from being shown.

A time in the 9.4's? I don't think so. He might have broke 9.60, but you're really exaggerating there.

People call him selfish for showboating, but its ironic because its actually the opposite of that. They asked him why he did that when he could have had a much faster time and set a faster world record, and he said he doesn't care about records, he just wants to win. As long as he wins he could care less what his time is, yet everyone else wants to call him an egotistical show-boater. If he was selfish, he would have wanted to get the fastest time possible, and then not stop talking about it. That, however, was far from the case.

A time in the 9.4's? I don't think so. He might have broke 9.60, but you're really exaggerating there.

People call him selfish for showboating, but its ironic because its actually the opposite of that. They asked him why he did that when he could have had a much faster time and set a faster world record, and he said he doesn't care about records, he just wants to win. As long as he wins he could care less what his time is, yet everyone else wants to call him an egotistical show-boater. If he was selfish, he would have wanted to get the fastest time possible, and then not stop talking about it. That, however, was far from the case.

It's like dancing into the endzone holding the ball out to your side in one hand. It's showboating. The opposite of showboating is finishing out the race and not celebrating your win before it's over. He's a great athlete and a bit of a tool.

That's unique slant there. He could have let off the gas without highstepping. However, I really thinking that he cost himself at least .15 by doing what he did. I think he still would have been pulling away from the field all the way. So, yeah I think he could have went 9.4's. That would put him in the same league that Flo-Jo was in 20 years ago, where she toasted everyone by a quarter of a second, and no one still has come close to her record. If and when Bolt goes sub 9.5, we may very well not see someone break it again for 20+ years.

He is legitimately able to break Michael Johnsons 200 Record and 400 Record as well.

And once they add 100m walking backwards, 100m skipping and 100m crabwalking along with the associated relays to the olympics he might be able to beat phelps' record.

It's like dancing into the endzone holding the ball out to your side in one hand. It's showboating. The opposite of showboating is finishing out the race and not celebrating your win before it's over. He's a great athlete and a bit of a tool.

He WAS show-boating, I never said he wasn't.

Donovan Bailey (former WR holder) had said that he believed that he would have easily hit 9.5

As for what he did, Why is it ok for him to completly obliterate his opponents by running around a 9.5, when he didn't have to to win, yet people got their panties in a wad because the Patriots were running up the score this year? Can someone give me an excuse as to what the difference is?

The guy pulled up and held his hands out after he knew he won the race already, he still had a couple more races to run, maybe he didn't want to risk injury by going all out to finish a race he had already won, just to lower a WR even more?

Specially because he will get big bucks to appear at events, and bigger bucks if he breaks the record. He could have a good thing going for himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewXdXUYuJtM

just found this one..

Specially because he will get big bucks to appear at events, and bigger bucks if he breaks the record. He could have a good thing going for himself.

and jackstojan if he gets hurt somehow and can't compete or run fast again

Watching Bolt run in the 100 meter finals (as well as the preliminary heats) has been one of the most impressive things I have seen in the Olympics. The guys is amazing. He wanted the gold medal and got it. He had to beg his coach to let him start running the 100 meters about a year ago.

He is 21 years old. He acted like a lot of 21 year olds. That does not take away from his performance.

Watching Bolt run in the 100 meter finals (as well as the preliminary heats) has been one of the most impressive things I have seen in the Olympics. The guys is amazing. He wanted the gold medal and got it. He had to beg his coach to let him start running the 100 meters about a year ago.

He is 21 years old. He acted like a lot of 21 year olds. That does not take away from his performance.

compare Phelps' performance and behavior to Bolt's

His performance was incredible and he's an amazing athlete, however, as a coach, I would be pissed if any of my swimmers did anything like that. See below quote from one of the classiest coaches of all time. Apparently sportsmanship is fading in modern athletics.

But for real, Marv, you are my inspiration. I wanted to play my best because I never wanted to disappoint you. You made me feel like every extra effort I made for the Bills was appreciated. Marv, I remember my first game against the Houston Oilers, against the Minnesota Vikings, I spiked the ball. When I came over to the sideline, you had this look in your eye like you were very upset at me. You grabbed me by my jersey and said, Why did you spike the ball? I said, Coach, every little kid that ever watches football at least wants to do that at least one time in his career. He said, Well, that's great, don't ever do it again. Act like you've been there before. After that, I never spiked the ball again. So thank you, Marv.

It was on NBC's site on the same day it happened. That's where I saw it.

Not really, when Bolt broke it, I searched up and down that site, and it was not there at the time... NBC pussyfooted around in getting that footage up. Also, when it was aired in America, it was on tape delay.

compare Phelps' performance and behavior to Bolt's

His performance was incredible and he's an amazing athlete, however, as a coach, I would be pissed if any of my swimmers did anything like that. See below quote from one of the classiest coaches of all time. Apparently sportsmanship is fading in modern athletics.

At least he did not do this

I am only half joking.

You are correct about Phelps and we all would like people to act like they have been there (e.g. in the end zone) before.

I am not a big fan of people acting arrogant. I would rather that athletes act like Nastia, Shawn Johnson, and Michael Phelps. Yet, however Bolt acted (part arrogance, part exhuberance), it does not take away from his dominating performance. He was a man among boys against the best sprinters in the world.

Get off the kid's back. He was psyched to run the 100, he got his shot, and all he did was crush the world record w/ the potential to put it in the stratosphere. What he is doing is amazing, especially considering the fact that most guys his height don't have his fast twitch abilities. Most are long striders who don't have his kind of explosiveness. He's just being a kid. Now, if he did something like get in the face of an opponent and taunted them (I recall a basketball player once coming down from a dunk and mockingly acted like he was crying for the opponent; real classy), then I could understand people getting up in arms.

Not everyone has that "act like you've been there" attitude in sports. We see that in gymnastics now: the athletes have done a good job of maintaining poise while the media and even their own coaches whine and complain like spoiled children when things don't go their way.

Get off the kid's back. He was psyched to run the 100, he got his shot, and all he did was crush the world record w/ the potential to put it in the stratosphere. What he is doing is amazing, especially considering the fact that most guys his height don't have his fast twitch abilities. Most are long striders who don't have his kind of explosiveness. He's just being a kid. Now, if he did something like get in the face of an opponent and taunted them (I recall a basketball player once coming down from a dunk and mockingly acted like he was crying for the opponent; real classy), then I could understand people getting up in arms.

Not everyone has that "act like you've been there" attitude in sports. We see that in gymnastics now: the athletes have done a good job of maintaining poise while the media and even their own coaches whine and complain like spoiled children when things don't go their way.

This kid is great. I saw the whole coverage of the 200 last night...he's dancing and joking on his way into the arena while other guys are looking like they are about to throw up. And then blows the field away by more than half a second?? Amazing. By far the highlight of the Olympics.

the kid has personality and a zest for life....to some that comes off as arrogant...i like the kid...

the kid has personality and a zest for life....to some that comes off as arrogant...i like the kid...

Exactly, he isn't getting into his opponents faces, or trash talking them, he is just having a great time and is expressing his excitement of winning a gold for his country, being the first Jaimacian (running for jamaica) to win a gold in the 100 metres