Halfway through Preseason....

Mark Vader

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude your stoned. Watch the first Royal TD again. He looks right first then comes back to Royal and threads the needle.

don't dude me...I've been watching Trent's head on every pass he's thrown this preseason. He glanced to the right real quick but locked onto Royal after that. How quickly he looked to the right wasn't enough to be considered looking off his receiver. I will give him credit, though. Early last season, he was staring down his intended receiver before he even got the snap of the ball. He's not doing that anymore at least,

Preston, McKelvin, Youboty, Hardy, Ellison, Wendling, Ellis, Royal, Jenkins, Costanzo, and Schonert

Edwards...no...watch his head in a pass play...he's still staring down his receivers and if he doesn't learn to stop, it's going to kill us like it did against Dallas

When your 1st read is open it's going to look like you're staring the receiver down. Trent usually does a very good job of scanning the filed. That's one of the things I liked about him right from the start.

When your 1st read is open it's going to look like you're staring the receiver down. Trent usually does a very good job of scanning the filed. That's one of the things I liked about him right from the start.

Well, Trent, in an interview last season when he got the starting job late in the season, admitted that he had to work on avoiding staring down his receivers. He should be scanning the field until just before he throws. What he was doing was scanning the field before the snap and locking onto his receiver either right before or right after the snap. Last year, it was before the snap. This year it's after...though this year so far, there have been times he wasn't staring at the receiver, he was staring at the spot he was throwing to. Looks to me like he still knows it's a problem and he's working on it...which is a positive..Bledsoe never corrected that problem. Yeah, his first read is open, but if a DB is baiting him, he's gonna get picked off.

Its hard to say who has impressed me most because only a few players were consistent in both games so far. Most Bills players have looked good and one, and bad in the other. The consistent ones I am impressed with is McKelvin, Youboty and Poz.

If I had to go and pick an under the radar guy, I'm definitely impressed with S Jon Corto. He has no only been all over the field on defense, but also on special teams too. I think we might be shocked by some cuts at safety this year. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me to see Bryan Scott let go.

Agree 100% on Corto. Excellent discussion on him.

Well, Trent, in an interview last season when he got the starting job late in the season, admitted that he had to work on avoiding staring down his receivers. He should be scanning the field until just before he throws. What he was doing was scanning the field before the snap and locking onto his receiver either right before or right after the snap. Last year, it was before the snap. This year it's after...though this year so far, there have been times he wasn't staring at the receiver, he was staring at the spot he was throwing to. Looks to me like he still knows it's a problem and he's working on it...which is a positive..Bledsoe never corrected that problem. Yeah, his first read is open, but if a DB is baiting him, he's gonna get picked off.

I suppose it's all relative to the other recent QB's we've been witnessing over the past decade or so isn't it? :unsure:

don't dude me...I've been watching Trent's head on every pass he's thrown this preseason. He glanced to the right real quick but locked onto Royal after that. How quickly he looked to the right wasn't enough to be considered looking off his receiver. I will give him credit, though. Early last season, he was staring down his intended receiver before he even got the snap of the ball. He's not doing that anymore at least,

effen A dood! :unsure:

uhh...no. :unsure:

Sorry for trying to be lighthearted then about your partially correct commentary. Whatever the case, Trent looks off safeties /LB's more than any of our previous QB's since Kelly. He came to Royal as a 2nd look on the 1st touchdown the other night for example. Look for yourself.

partially correct :unsure: Think what you like. After what happened early last year, I've watched pretty closely

Think? ... Watch right here if you don't have it taped: http://xssports.rack111.com/billsvssteelers/

Open your mind as well to the possibility that last year there were times where our young rook was assigned no more than 2 reads on a given pass play. Combine that with no audibles allowed and you have a hamstrung quarterback in many situations. Plus a good football discussion/debate usually involves some give and take. You offer very little for a long-timer whose comments sparked my interest. Oh well.

I like the Sheik Yabouty thing. And as far as the TD is concerned, I don't know what coverage responsability was on that particular play. Was it his or the safety?

I don't know what coverage they were in -- whether they were in a man with two-deep help or a straight zone -- but Tasker/Bentley's comments after the replay made it sound like the fault was was more with Wilson taking too long to get over and support deep.

Several players have stood out to me.

Trent Edwards: While the Skins game was forgettable, Edwards rebounded in a big way against the Steelers. He looked comfortable in the pocket and connected on some long passes.

Duke Preston: His performance has been a big surprise to me. A lot of fans(myself included) have asked for Preston to be cut. In both games he played very good at Center, and finally looks to be the player the Bills had hoped he would be when they drafted him.

Keith Ellison: In both games he has started in place of Crowell and he has looked very good in the process. I'm not saying he should start, but it's very good to see that he can step in as a backup and be affective.

John Wendling: While his jumping over the Center during XP & FG attempts have been very amusing, as a safety he has been all over the field and providing tackles instead of whiffing on plays.

Chris Ellis: IMO he has been the best of the rookies at this point(Reggie Corner being 2nd). Ellis could become a very important player for not only the future, but for this season as well.

George Wilson has looked good covering kicks and he hasn't been a gunner.