Stealers Safefy calling out the Bills for game planning

I have no problem any team game planning for a pre-season game. You should practice whatever you need to practice. If that's the basics, then so be it. If you have young players or rookies who are going to start it may be a good idea to practice game planing with them so they can get comfortable with the rhythms of a regular season week (not that this applies well to the 5 day week they just had).

The clearest example I remember of a team perhaps being inappropriate was 3(?) years ago when the Packers came and scrimmaged us before the first preseason game. We whipped up our new zone blitz and hammered them, something I'm sure they didn't really appreciate.

This so plainly absurd, it's not even worth responding to (and yet I respond),

We basically ran the ball up the middle, did one play-action pass, and completed some pretty basic out-routes, hooks, and swing passes. It's not as if we ran trick plays.

Contrast that with what the Steelers did:

(1) They left their offensive starters in an extra series, so that they could look great throwing a bomb on Youboty.

(2) They let Timmons and Anthony Smith play the entire game, yet both of those players are arguable starters and at worst second stringers. Not only that, both of those guys (and others) were pass AND run blitizing well into the fourth quarter. I'm sure Matt Baker appreciated getting mowed down by Timmons on a delayed blitz. Or Steven Johnson liked getting blown up when Anthony Smith ran a run blitz right at him.

(3) The Steelers offensive coaching staff actually made adjustments, e.g., calling screens when we were seriously pressuring the QB and running that spread draw for their one TD.

(4) I wouldn't call what Dennis Dixon was doing exactly "vanilla." They ran him on a naked boot-leg on 4th down!!!!

If anyone should be complaining about "game planning," it should be us.

We basically ran the ball up the middle, did one play-action pass, and completed some pretty basic out-routes, hooks, and swing passes. It's not as if we ran trick plays.

(1) They left their offensive starters in an extra series, so that they could look great throwing a bomb on Youboty.

(2) They let Timmons and Anthony Smith play the entire game, yet both of those players are arguable starters and at worst second stringers. Not only that, both of those guys (and others) were pass AND run blitizing well into the fourth quarter. I'm sure Matt Baker appreciated getting mowed down by Timmons on a delayed blitz. Or Steven Johnson liked getting blown up when Anthony Smith ran a run blitz right at him.

(3) The Steelers offensive coaching staff actually made adjustments, e.g., calling screens when we were seriously pressuring the QB and running that spread draw for their one TD.

(4) I wouldn't call what Dennis Dixon was doing exactly "vanilla." They ran him on a naked boot-leg on 4th down!!!!

There was nothing vanilla about what The Steelers D did against our starting offense. They were blitzing and shifting to hide their coverages on almost every play.

I think the confusion on this guy's part might stem from the fact I'm sure the Steelers expected the all too familiar run, run, pass, punt offense of the Bills. However, the Bills actually had a game plan (not to be confused with game planning) that tried to resemble a professional NFL offense.

I thought it most humorous on the first play of the game - a play action pass to Evans - the announcers immediately called it a busted play. Because, like all of us, I'm sure they can't recall the last time a Bills' offense did something as crazy as not run on the first down of the first series of a game.

The Steelers are my least favorite team in the NFL

I don't like em' either...never have...

But My least favorite spot is permanently taken...

Always has been and always will be those stinking fish...

Even when they suck, I still hate them the most... :thumbsup:

Effing great post. And I noticed that, too.

There was nothing vanilla about what The Steelers D did against our starting offense. They were blitzing and shifting to hide their coverages on almost every play.

Ask Steve Johnson if Pittsburgh was game planning.

I think the confusion on this guy's part might stem from the fact I'm sure the Steelers expected the all too familiar run, run, pass, punt offense of the Bills. However, the Bills actually had a game plan (not to be confused with game planning) that tried to resemble a professional NFL offense.

I thought it most humorous on the first play of the game - a play action pass to Evans - the announcers immediately called it a busted play. Because, like all of us, I'm sure they can't recall the last time a Bills' offense did something as crazy as not run on the first down of the first series of a game.

That is my guess too. They were expecting ineptitude but they found a totally different thing. But the Steelers weren't the only ones fooled, the Bills fooled me/us too. (in a wonderful way).