Edwards threw a 70 yard TD to Hardy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember about 7-8 years and 3 Super Bowl wins ago when Tom Brady had a "weak arm" and couldn't throw a deep ball for sh--. He sure learned how to do it.

Edwards' arm strength is fine. The Bills need to focus on turning Evans into a complete receiver who can run slants and crossing patterns anyway. Coddling him by sending him deep every play won't make him more of an overall threat.

The most interesting thing about this "story" in my opinion is that Hardy got separation on a bomb...that's not something I necessarily thought he'd be able to do.

Let's see him be accurate on most of his short throws in a game too.

Edwards defenders have to be pretty desperate to be flaunting single individual practice plays in order to justfy terrible performance last year and his starting status this year.

We can wait for games. It should be pretty obvious in week 1 what the season is going to be like.

Week one is usually a good indicator..I remember last year against the Broncos..Great precursor...

But this took and shows Arm Strength, the thing people say TE is lacking.

Trent showed arm strength last year when he threw that bomb to Lee Evans in the Miami game. For me, Trent's "arm strength" question was answered then.

In case you forgot, it's 3:55 into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7IEupyDc2Y

Realistically, his "lack of" arm strength is a red herring anyways.

Trent showed arm strength last year when he threw that bomb to Lee Evans in the Miami game. For me, Trent's "arm strength" question was answered then.

It was a completion, but I would not call it a great throw. The main problem with Edwards throwing down field is ........he hardly ever does it. Part of that is playcalling, but a bigger part is him constantly checking down to a safety valve. A QB has to have faith that his receivers will make a play on the ball & make him look good.

It was a completion, but I would not call it a great throw.

So it wasn't a great throw because???

Dude hit Lee Evans, in stride, 50 yards downfield for a score. What the heck isn't great about that? Not to mention, Chad Pennington won't make that throw which is kind of the whole undertone to the Trent Edwards negativity (impuning that he has a weak arm similar to a Pennington).

Wow - I never really bought into the whole 'dumb Canadian' thing, but you're winning me over.

If I take a sledge hammer and whack you in the knee when you're not looking, or are in a completely defenseless posture, are you 'injury-prone'?

Look dumbass what does that have to do with football?

So it wasn't a great throw because???

Dude hit Lee Evans, in stride, 50 yards downfield for a score. What the heck isn't great about that? Not to mention, Chad Pennington won't make that throw which is kind of the whole undertone to the Trent Edwards negativity (impuning that he has a weak arm similar to a Pennington).

Before his injury Chads arm was probably as strong as Trents, post injury not so much. The pass to Evans, Evans had to slow down quite a bit & wait on the ball, it was not in full stride.

He said Trent needed confidence in throwing the deep ball.

That's one of the more telling "hidden message" Lee Evans quotes I've seen - and there's been a lot of them. The wideouts have to be frustrated at the lack of opportunities to make plays downfield under Jauron.

Arm strength:

Jeff George > JP Losman > Tom Brady / Joe Montana / Trent Edwards > Pennington / Holcomb

Joel Zumaya > Billy Koch > John Rocker > Mariano Rivera > Greg Maddux > Jamie Moyer

I think it should be pretty clear that if Trent Edwards fails it will not be because of a lack of arm strength. His arm is weaker than JPs, but JP has come up short for reasons completely separate than arm strength. I think arm strength is really fun and cool, and Elway and Favre and Cunningham were so much fun to watch, and often helped their teams with bullets or bombs. But once you reach a competent NFL level, it becomes secondary to other factors.

I don't think that arm strength will have anything to do with whether Trent will be Tom Brady or Todd Collins when all is said and done, and think this is a red herring.

I also don't think arm strength is even the most important factor in throwing the deep ball. Timing and precision matters a lot more. It is very very rare to get enough protection (other than a hail mary) to have receivers outrun the range of ANY NFL quarterback. Evans said it well that he just needs to get more comfortable throwing it. Most deep balls are thrown 30-50 yards downfield which pretty much any NFL quarterback (and me...go me!) can throw. The balls that go over 50 in the air are rare and secondary to winning. I think arm strength actually has more of an impact on mid range thread the needle passes.

Before his injury Chads arm was probably as strong as Trents, post injury not so much.

That is one heck of a non-sequitur. On top of that, I think your statement lacks some serious credibility.

The pass to Evans, Evans had to slow down quite a bit & wait on the ball, it was not in full stride.

Maybe your memory is a little foggy because I just watched the video (again) and it doesn't look like Lee pulled up to me. Pretty much seems like Lee is outrunning the DB's and didn't slow down. Maybe you should watch the video again, 'cause I don't think your memory is serving you well here.

Look dumbass what does that have to do with football?

OK, I guess analogies are just too cryptic for a dumb Canuck, so let me spell it out...

If I put deliberately my helmet to your knee with intent to injure while your in the midst of releasing a pass, in a completely defenseless position, and it results in your being injured, I wouldn't describe you as 'injury prone' - would you?

If I deliberately take a hard shot at you during training camp - when you're out of bounds, the play is over, and your not expecting a hit because there's supposed to be no contact with the QB - and you end up with a broken leg, I would not say it's because you are 'injury-prone' - would you?

Jesus Christ, who's the freakin' dumbass?

In case you forgot, it's 3:55 into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7IEupyDc2Y

The heck with the arm talk. I just hope I never see the tackling efforts at the 3:15 mark in that video. Ugh.

OK, I guess analogies are just too cryptic for a dumb Canuck, so let me spell it out...

If I put deliberately my helmet to your knee with intent to injure while your in the midst of releasing a pass, in a completely defenseless position, and it results in your being injured, I wouldn't describe you as 'injury prone' - would you?

If I deliberately take a hard shot at you during training camp - when you're out of bounds, the play is over, and your not expecting a hit because there's supposed to be no contact with the QB - and you end up with a broken leg, I would not say it's because you are 'injury-prone' - would you?

Jesus Christ, who's the freakin' dumbass?

Yes if it continues to happen then I guess I would be prone to injuries, regardless of how it happens you stupid American. :lol:

You're looking at it from the wrong point of view, IMO. The criticism of Edwards, regardless of if it is warranted or not, is whether he has the arm strength to be a top quarterback in this league. It's extremely hard to be a top QB without it although there are a few exceptions, especially in a bad weather city like Buffalo. The argument for cannot be "see all the other quarterbacks in the league that have great arm strength that suck!". That has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand. Arm strength doesn't mean greatness, that's a fact, but you pretty much need it to be great. The vast majority of the good QBs have better than average or very strong arms.

Arm strength actually has a lot to do with how good of an NFL QB you will be. If it didn't, I would imagine more than half of the players playing QB right now in the NFL would be out of jobs and replaced by guys on the couch who have been cut already who are smarter, more accurate, more talented overall quarterbacks. But simply don't have the arm strength to do it all. You need to be able to back the defense away from the LOS. You need to be able to get the ball on a rope 20-30 yards downfield and all the way across the field so CBs and safeties don't make up the ground quick and step in front of the receiver. You need to be able to hit guys downfield when they're open to score points the 2-3 times a game they become available.

IMO, TE has enough. It's not a weak arm at all. It's just not to be confused with having a strong arm.

Edwards did not have a strong arm last season. He was very stiff and did not rotate his hips into throws. The "core" is where a great deal of arm strength is generated and that is where he can really improve. He bulked up and got stronger, and I would hope that he really worked on his core strength.

Edwards did not have a strong arm last season. He was very stiff and did not rotate his hips into throws. The "core" is where a great deal of arm strength is generated and that is where he can really improve. He bulked up and got stronger, and I would hope that he really worked on his core strength.

You are right -That what Brady did