OFFICIAL BILLS VS REDSKINS GAME THREAD

sven233

Coaching is going to kill this team regardless of the talent. The Bills, and I hate to say it since I live and breathe the Bills, are no more than a .500 team with the current coaching staff and QB. Neither are flashy and neither will do anything more than mediocre. I'm not saying this based on a lame 1st pre-season game, but what the team has presented us fans the last couple of years,

If my wife can sit here and watch the game, with minimal football knowledge, and predict what the team will do, both offensively and defensively, it's pretty safe to assume that the cheating Pats or the far less knowledgable Fish might know what we're going to do. It's pretty obvious if anyone watched any game that the Bills played last year that everyone knew what the Bills were going to do.

Remember when Dan Henning was here- I believe it was Levy's last year. WE had an very inexperienced Todd Collins and Antowain Smith in the backfield, behind a terrible offensive line. Van Miller basically called out what the Bills were about to do before each play, then they got stuffed more often than not. When you don't have a good offensive unit, you tend to be what fans term predictable. Its hard to get overly fancy with a very untalented group, particularly when you have a young QB and RB in there. You have a few things you can do, but not much. On the other hand, good teams, like San Diego- Ladanian Tomlinson is going to get the ball a bunch of times- even the popcorn vender knows that....the difference is that the defense can't stop what they know is coming.

Things will be different when Peters is on offense and Stroud is on defense- I don't know how much different, but there will be some improvement. I think the defense will be better- also, Lynch will be in there more and won't be fumbling all over the place.

We will still be a team predicated on using a defense that will keep the game within reach and a special teams that controls it. The offense will be to not screw up by turning the ball over and flipping the field for the other team.

No playoffs yet, but everyone will just have to be patient while Edwards continues to develop- and there will be some growing pains as was evident tonight. We aren't going to a seat of the pants offense that just wings it- that isn't playing to our strengths- we will have an offense that plays to our stengths.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when Dan Henning was here- I believe it was Levy's last year. WE had an very inexperienced Todd Collins and Antowain Smith in the backfield, behind a terrible offensive line. Van Miller basically called out what the Bills were about to do before each play, then they got stuffed more often than not. When you don't have a good offensive unit, you tend to be what fans term predictable. Its hard to get overly fancy with a very untalented group, particularly when you have a young QB and RB in there. You have a few things you can do, but not much. On the other hand, good teams, like San Diego- Ladanian Tomlinson is going to get the ball a bunch of times- even the popcorn vender knows that....the difference is that the defense can't stop what they know is coming.

Things will be different when Peters is on offense and Stroud is on defense- I don't know how much different, but there will be some improvement. I think the defense will be better- also, Lynch will be in there more and won't be fumbling all over the place.

We will still be a team predicated on using a defense that will keep the game within reach and a special teams that controls it. The offense will be to not screw up by turning the ball over and flipping the field for the other team.

No playoffs yet, but everyone will just have to be patient while Edwards continues to develop- and there will be some growing pains as was evident tonight. We aren't going to a seat of the pants offense that just wings it- that isn't playing to our strengths- we will have an offense that plays to our stengths.

What exactly would be our strength? Moorman?

What exactly would be our strength? Moorman?

Whether or not Stroud is 100%, I think come the regular season, we will have a better defense than last year- a faster defense as well. Between that and cour return/coverage units, we will control field position.

The main thing on offense is ball security and keeping our young QB out of bad situations (3rd and long) as often as possible. Our game plans won't include trying to light up the scoreboard, but to play a grind it out game of attrition and allow our defense and special teams to shorten the field.

Consider yourself lucky. Imagine how awful watching this game would be if you had to listen to Theesman and Patrick rim the Redskins all night like I did. Not even trying to be objective...

I did. I'm on a business trip in VA Beach for two weeks.

It was one of those morons.

The playing time of the CBs has been interesting to follow.

To start the game, Greer and Youboty were the starting CBs, with James at nickel. When they needed a dime back, it was Corner.

James might have only played one series, and then Corner was the nickel back.

Later, McKelvin replaced Greer.

Early in the second half, McKelvin and Corner were the CBs. When they needed a nickel, they brought in Youboty and moved Corner to nickel.

From about the middle of the 3rd quarter on, McKelvin and Corner were the CBs, and Youboty played nickel as needed, which was most of the time.

This leads me to believe:

- Corner is coming along faster than McKelvin.

- At least right now, the plan is not for McKelvin to play nickel until he's ready to start.

- They wanted to take a long look at Youboty tonight. He was probably on the field for at least 75% of the defensive snaps.

Youboty looked pretty good. He kept the play in front of him, tackled well and caught the ball that was thrown at him. That's what you need in a zone corner.

I haven't seen enough of McKelvin yet to say too much definitively, but I agree with some camp assessments that he doesn't appear to be as fast as advertised. He had a nice punt return which showcased his elusiveness, but didn't show that extra gear you want to see in a punt returner. Doesn't appear to have what McGee and Parrish have in that regard.

I had to miss the game tonight. But I tell you, I don't think it could have been any better. To come back and read this thread and have it (as of now) be my only inkling of how the game went... well it's just comedic gold! I just love it. 2 series into the first game and the season is lost. Great fun guys, I was looking forward to this and you didn't disappoint.

And, yes, Hamdan does rock!

Regardless of what everyone thinks, the Bills, pre-season or not, have the same philosophy on offense and defense as they did with that horrible team from last year. Keep it close, don't do anything stupid and let the game come to you. It might give you 7or 9 wins in High School and possibly 3 to 7 wins in the NFL, but realistically, the best you might do is 9 wins depending on division and conference. Jauron wouldn't last more than 2 years in the NFC West, by far the worst conference in the NFL and yet he still has a job in a division that is a very close 2nd to the NFC West in competition.

Coaching is going to kill this team regardless of the talent. The Bills, and I hate to say it since I live and breathe the Bills, are no more than a .500 team with the current coaching staff and QB. Neither are flashy and neither will do anything more than mediocre. I'm not saying this based on a lame 1st pre-season game, but what the team has presented us fans the last couple of years,

If my wife can sit here and watch the game, with minimal football knowledge, and predict what the team will do, both offensively and defensively, it's pretty safe to assume that the cheating Pats or the far less knowledgable Fish might know what we're going to do. It's pretty obvious if anyone watched any game that the Bills played last year that everyone knew what the Bills were going to do.

I hope and pray that this year is different but my brain tells me that this team will once again build up our hopes and crush our dreams. With all the young talent that is on this team, it really might be time for a new coach that allows the talents of the players to shine, instead of them playing in a structured system and being good little boys and playing not to lose and embarrass anyone. Buffalo needs excitement not the doldrums of Jauron.

Umm It's Preseason game # 1 They keep the game plan SIMPLE!!!