Pennington Available?

marck

If Chad Pennington does come available the Bills should move quickly to sign him as our back-up QB. His skill set fits the type of offense we will be running and has the cerebal game that is perfect for a back-up QB. In addition he could come in and give the Bills quality starts in the event of an injury to Edwards. The biggest upside with Chad is arm strength and the defenses ability to shorten the field as he has triuble with out routes and deep routes. His strength is accuracy and ability to read and dissect a defense and with ourline, running game and receivers could thrive in our offense. Plus he would be like an assistant QB coach to help Edwards thru tough times.

JP Loseman would then be available to trade. If the Bills find a trade partner, (Falcons, Bears, Lios, Vikings, Chiefs and Panthers all come to mind) a conditional draft pick for 2009 could be negotiated. As much as I like JP and feel he does have upside as a starting QB in the future, he will file for free agency at the end of the season and the Bills will get NOTHING in return.

This could be the best case scenario for both the Bills and JP.

Edwards and Pennington are practically the same QB- decent game mangers, and to this point below average arms. JP's gun and ability to stretch the field is a nice change of pace in case of a Trent injury, and thats good to have with a backup. Opposing teams will not have game planned for it. I put forth last year's game against the Jets as an example.

Kind of like how Aaron Rogers did? Green Bay needed a crowbar to get rid of the "veteran mentor."

PTR

Theres a difference, Favre is only under contract for 2 more years, and you never know if he will come back next year. The Bills have no emotional attachment to him like the packers and their fans did, so letting him go won't be as hard because he would only be here to "win now" and for Edwards to learn from.

Oh well, I guess its better he works with JP all year, and a career backup QB coach instead. Or of course, the better option of bringing in Pennington

I think Pennington's lack of arm strength has been exagerated almost as much as Trent's lack of arm strength.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing you or the other people claiming this have actually watched Jets games recently. Pennington is fine if the game is in hand - if he doesn't need to stray outside his comfort zone of 8 - 15 yard passes. But if the team falls behind and he needs to get them downfield in a hurry, he can't do it. When he first came into the league, while his arm wasn't strong, he could make the throws he needed to, but everything I've seen from him the last few years says his arm is shot. Lori's example of the INT he floated to McGee is a great one. I was really not worried going into the final drive of the Jets in that game because I knew he would serve up an opportunity like that.

We weren't able to trade JP during the off-season. What makes everybody think that he's going to magically become such a hot commodity? Sure, there are teams that would like to have him, but they seem to be willing to wait another year.

If a QB goes down in pre-season, I think JP becomes a warm commodity. His trade value maybe goes up to a 4 or conditional 3, depending on how desperate the team may be. Once Pennington is cut, I would bring him into camp. With Pennington in camp the Bills could make a deal in this scenario and have a veteran backup.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing you or the other people claiming this have actually watched Jets games recently. Pennington is fine if the game is in hand - if he doesn't need to stray outside his comfort zone of 8 - 15 yard passes. But if the team falls behind and he needs to get them downfield in a hurry, he can't do it. When he first came into the league, while his arm wasn't strong, he could make the throws he needed to, but everything I've seen from him the last few years says his arm is shot. Lori's example of the INT he floated to McGee is a great one. I was really not worried going into the final drive of the Jets in that game because I knew he would serve up an opportunity like that.

Look at the bight side....Edwards arm would look a lot better in warmups with Pennington next to him. He looks stinko next to JP's arm!!!

If Chad Pennington does come available the Bills should move quickly to sign him as our back-up QB. His skill set fits the type of offense we will be running and has the cerebal game that is perfect for a back-up QB. In addition he could come in and give the Bills quality starts in the event of an injury to Edwards. The biggest upside with Chad is arm strength and the defenses ability to shorten the field as he has triuble with out routes and deep routes. His strength is accuracy and ability to read and dissect a defense and with ourline, running game and receivers could thrive in our offense. Plus he would be like an assistant QB coach to help Edwards thru tough times.

JP Loseman would then be available to trade. If the Bills find a trade partner, (Falcons, Bears, Lios, Vikings, Chiefs and Panthers all come to mind) a conditional draft pick for 2009 could be negotiated. As much as I like JP and feel he does have upside as a starting QB in the future, he will file for free agency at the end of the season and the Bills will get NOTHING in return.

Two words...............................HELL NO!!!!!

i say yes...i dont want to hear this trent vs jp sh-- all year. GOODBYE JP...wish you could have cut it...but you couldnt and thats the sad reality of it. All of you need to lose the man-crush you have for him

So you would prefer the sound of Trent vs Chad

If we have a quaterback that could do that, we should start him.

I think Pennington's lack of arm strength has been exagerated almost as much as Trent's lack of arm strength.

In my opinion, Pennington would be the perfect backup to Trent Edwards.

JP was not moved because the Bills know Trent may get injured this year. The Bills could not give up JP without getting a number 2 QB. If the Bills get Pennington, their asking price for JP drops from a 3rd or 4th to a 5th or 6th (or cut JP to clear up cashtothecap space letting us sign, Pennington/Peters/Evans/Crowell)

Pennington and Edwards both have had demonstrated in the real world problems productively hitting the deep throw, but I think this are two very different situations.

Edwards tested out with OK arm strength at the Combine. I think that two things caused his failure to hit the deep pass consistently for us:

1. Poor play calling- I am not sure why Fairchild got promoted to an HC job in college as I think he never got the Bills O rolling at a level it should have obtained given the talent we had here. it does not matter to me though why he is gone as long as he is gone and I think we added by subtraction. Schonert inherits an O which:

A. Should use the RBs more effectively as receivers since Lynch and even Roberts have the rep for being good receivers and Fairchild never got production out of them. When one looks at how much more productive McGahee got as a receiver when he escaped Fairchild and got to Balt. I think it becomes a little clearer what the problem was here.

B. PP was on his way out the NFL, but the one thing he apparently still had was speed. Even when you lose a step if your baseline is worldclass speed you are still fast. Schonerts arrival and the upgrade to the much taller but still fast Hardy is that the passing game should be more effective,

At any rate, Fairchild did not effectively design routes which got the speed he had much separation so overall I think the playcalling and the redzone offense should be better (which given the lackluster results achieved under Faircchild should not be hard to do).

2. Footwork- I think Edwards arm is plenty strong but his footwork IMHO never seemed to get him in a position to launch the ball a long distance,While Bert Jones it is said could throw the ball 100 yards while lying down this is no the norm. My sense is that Edwards needs work on the mechanics.

Pennington the other hand after he was hurt simply had a rag arm and it did not scare me at all to face hin.

i say yes...i dont want to hear this trent vs jp sh-- all year. GOODBYE JP...wish you could have cut it...but you couldnt and thats the sad reality of it. All of you need to lose the man-crush you have for him

You all know I have been a JP supporter, however if the Bills staff feel Chadwicks arm is fully healed & he can throw the ball, I would fully support the signing of Chad & trade of JP.

I think the collective IQ of this board just dropped a few notches from this thread.

Think about it: it actually got Pyrite Gal to start talking smack.

I would love the Bills to bring in Chad Pennington. He's the perfect guy to mentor Trent Edwards in Jauron's ball control offense that features a power running game and shorter lower risk passes. JP losman is a bust who will serve as a back-up in the NFl for the next 5 years because of the lack of decent qb's. I don't he has any trade value.