Pennington Available?

marck

If Chad Pennington does come available the Bills should move quickly to sign him as our back-up QB. His skill set fits the type of offense we will be running and has the cerebal game that is perfect for a back-up QB. In addition he could come in and give the Bills quality starts in the event of an injury to Edwards. The biggest upside with Chad is arm strength and the defenses ability to shorten the field as he has triuble with out routes and deep routes. His strength is accuracy and ability to read and dissect a defense and with ourline, running game and receivers could thrive in our offense. Plus he would be like an assistant QB coach to help Edwards thru tough times.

JP Loseman would then be available to trade. If the Bills find a trade partner, (Falcons, Bears, Lios, Vikings, Chiefs and Panthers all come to mind) a conditional draft pick for 2009 could be negotiated. As much as I like JP and feel he does have upside as a starting QB in the future, he will file for free agency at the end of the season and the Bills will get NOTHING in return.

This could be the best case scenario for both the Bills and JP.

If Chad Pennington does come available the Bills should move quickly to sign him as our back-up QB. His skill set fits the type of offense we will be running and has the cerebral game that is perfect for a back-up QB. In addition he could come in and give the Bills quality starts in the event of an injury to Edwards. The biggest upside with Chad is arm strength and the defenses ability to shorten the field as he has trouble with out routes and deep routes. His strength is accuracy and ability to read and dissect a defense and with our line, running game and receivers could thrive in our offense. Plus he would be like an assistant QB coach to help Edwards thru tough times.

JP Loseman would then be available to trade. If the Bills find a trade partner, (Falcons, Bears, Lions, Vikings, Chiefs and Panthers all come to mind) a conditional draft pick for 2009 could be negotiated. As much as I like JP and feel he does have upside as a starting QB in the future, he will file for free agency at the end of the season and the Bills will get NOTHING in return.

No thank you.

PTR

No.

If Chad Pennington does come available the Bills should move quickly to sign him as our back-up QB. His skill set fits the type of offense we will be running and has the cerebal game that is perfect for a back-up QB. In addition he could come in and give the Bills quality starts in the event of an injury to Edwards. The biggest upside with Chad is arm strength and the defenses ability to shorten the field as he has triuble with out routes and deep routes. His strength is accuracy and ability to read and dissect a defense and with ourline, running game and receivers could thrive in our offense. Plus he would be like an assistant QB coach to help Edwards thru tough times.

JP Loseman would then be available to trade. If the Bills find a trade partner, (Falcons, Bears, Lios, Vikings, Chiefs and Panthers all come to mind) a conditional draft pick for 2009 could be negotiated. As much as I like JP and feel he does have upside as a starting QB in the future, he will file for free agency at the end of the season and the Bills will get NOTHING in return.

You like JP, yet you called him JP Loseman?

As for Pennington, PASS. The Jets do have a great QB that Trent could have learned alot from over the next year or 2, and he's the reason Pennington is now expendable, but most here felt that having Trent soak up a veterans knowledge and sit for a year or 2 and develop would only stunt his development and wasn't worth it.

You like JP, yet you called him JP Loseman?

As for Pennington, PASS. The Jets do have a great QB that Trent could have learned alot from over the next year or 2, and he's the reason Pennington is now expendable, but most here felt that having Trent soak up a veterans knowledge and sit for a year or 2 and develop would only stunt his development and wasn't worth it.

Kind of like how Aaron Rogers did? Green Bay needed a crowbar to get rid of the "veteran mentor."

PTR

We weren't able to trade JP during the off-season. What makes everybody think that he's going to magically become such a hot commodity? Sure, there are teams that would like to have him, but they seem to be willing to wait another year.

Chad Pennington!?

Ha Ha Ha Ha. Why would I want a wet noodle quarterback. At least JP can make a throw Pennington only dreams about.

I am leary of another year of QB controversy. I think Edwards is going to turn out to be a pretty good NFL QB...I just envision the whole "we want JP" rearing its' head, if things don't go well, right out of the chute. While Pennington isnt' as physically gifted a QB as JP, I do think he is pretty smart, and maintans an even keel, when he is in the game. I think given the history of everything, if both were free agents, Pennington is more ideal as a backup for the Bills, than JP.

What I don't like, mostly, is the idea that during pre-season, with Edwards as the starter, JP will be playing against the other teams scrubs. If he lights it up, and Edwards looks poor, or even average, the faithful will be clamoring for Losman. I reakize, JP has never really dazzled anyone in pre-season, so the point my be moot. But, we are pretty rough on our QB's!

I also have some serious dobts that the rest of the NFL views JP as highly as we Bills fans might. If they did, I think JP would be a "former Bill" by now. There has not been even a whiff of a rumour of any team being interested in him. Any team interested, might just plan on waiting until next season, when JP will be a free agent.

Yes, he will be available next off-season, however by trading a conditional pick, you can secure his services, give him a good evaluation and then sign while you have him under contract.

I do believe their is a market for Losman and he will garner interest. No matter what other posters think, Pennington would be a good fit in Buffalo in a controlled passing offense.

We weren't able to trade JP during the off-season. What makes everybody think that he's going to magically become such a hot commodity? Sure, there are teams that would like to have him, but they seem to be willing to wait another year.

Here we go. You do realize that JP's completion rate for the past couple seasons is better than Trent's, even for short passes. Look it up.

Stats don't tell the whole story...anyone who wathces the games, would realize, JP has some serious weaknesses in the short game. It may be a mental thing, whatever it is, it is there, and very real. His short completion percentage may be better than TE's (I will take your word on that), but the "quality" of his short misses were unbelievable last season. If you go back and watch the two starts JP had against the Broncos and Steelers you can see it. The Steelers dominated the Bills that game, but JP played about as poorly as a QB could play, and was "hearing footsteps" the whole game...which caused him to throw some terribly off target balls. The protection was not nearly as bad as you would think it was, if you just kept your eyes on Losman.

Yes, he will be available next off-season, however by trading a conditional pick, you can secure his services, give him a good evaluation and then sign while you have him under contract.

I do believe their is a market for Losman and he will garner interest. No matter what other posters think, Pennington would be a good fit in Buffalo in a controlled passing offense.

Why isn't Losman already gone then? What have teams been waiting for...the trade deadline? Hah.

i say yes...i dont want to hear this trent vs jp sh-- all year. GOODBYE JP...wish you could have cut it...but you couldnt and thats the sad reality of it. All of you need to lose the man-crush you have for him

I hope the Bills are not stupid enough to let the whining and bleating of some fans force them into a trade. A lot of the folks ranting against JP right now even though there is a neat zero chance he will play seriously for the Bills will greet his trade by almost immediately beginning some cry about the Edwards/Pennington QB controversy.

Unfortunately too many media outlets like WGR are happy to make their nickels fanning a QB controversy which was simply settle by JP calling himself out in the Jax game last year and by any measure failing. In addition to these money grubbers they have a willing audience who seemed to be entertained more by ragging on these overpaid millionaire players than by the Bills actually winning.

By all means the Bills should move JP IF they get the right offer. However, getting a rag arm like Pennington is not the right move for the Bills at #2 QB (your number 2 needs to be able to enforce his will on a team and game demoralized by us losing the starting QB and Pennington MAY do a reasonable job of taking advantage of what the other team gives but he is not gonna dictate the game even in the short run such as a non-starting talent like AVP could) and clearly is not your QB of the future if your starter goes down or sucks.

This the same Chadly who was still dinking-and-dunking down the field in the final minute of last year's game at the Ralph, because he couldn't throw anything deep? And then, when time was running out on that plan -- as everyone in the stadium knew it would -- he was forced to float an easy INT to McGee?

Thanks, but no thanks.

Everyone trashes pennington's arm strength but he is now two years removed from shoulder surgery and his arm strength should be almost all the way back. Plus all you blind edwards supporters should realize that coming out of college pennington's arm was stronger than edwards. It worries me that the same thing could happen to edwards.

your number 2 needs to be able to enforce his will on a team and game demoralized by us losing the starting QB

If we have a quaterback that could do that, we should start him.

I think Pennington's lack of arm strength has been exagerated almost as much as Trent's lack of arm strength.

In my opinion, Pennington would be the perfect backup to Trent Edwards.

JP was not moved because the Bills know Trent may get injured this year. The Bills could not give up JP without getting a number 2 QB. If the Bills get Pennington, their asking price for JP drops from a 3rd or 4th to a 5th or 6th (or cut JP to clear up cashtothecap space letting us sign, Pennington/Peters/Evans/Crowell)