Brett Favre traded to the New York Jets per FoxSports

Excuse me if I'm not quaking in my boots. Pencil me in the column where last season for Favre was more fluke than reality. Our secondary must be giddy at the prospect of upping their interception totals now that Favre is a Jet.

Overhyped: Favre didn't deliver in second half of career

We interrupt the continued deification of Brett Favre -- a first-ballot Hall of Famer and the most durable player in NFL history -- with the following reality check.

Yes, Favre played long enough to throw the most touchdown passes and collect the most wins by an NFL quarterback. But let's examine the second half of No. 4's career. The truth is, Favre did little over the past decade to earn the gushing praise heaped upon him by our fawning brethren in the media.

After beating the San Francisco 49ers in the 1997 NFC Championship Game, Favre won just three of his last 10 playoff games. Eli Manning had more postseason wins in a 29-day span this past season than Favre had in his last decade with the Green Bay Packers.

Yes, Favre won a Super Bowl -- 11 years ago! But as his career arc spiraled downward, the blind adulation only got worse.

Favre's passer rating in his last 12 postseason games was a pedestrian 77.8. In his last five wild-card games, he went 2-3 with more interceptions (nine) than touchdown passes (seven). In his last three divisional playoff games, he went 1-2 with seven TDs and seven interceptions. That's a 3-5 record with 14 touchdown passes and 16 picks.

In two of his last four postseason appearances, Favre threw two of the most unthinkable playoff interceptions in NFL history, both in overtime -- to Brian Dawkins of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003 and to Corey Webster of the New York Giants in January. In fact, Favre is the only quarterback in NFL history to throw overtime interceptions in two playoff games. In his last nine playoff games, Favre threw 18 interceptions.

In the first 81 years of the Green Bay franchise, the most hallowed in all of pro football, the Packers were 13-0 at home in the postseason. But since 2002, the Packers have gone 2-3 in playoff games at Lambeau Field, with Favre losing to three not-quite Hall of Fame quarterbacks: Michael Vick, Daunte Culpepper and Manning.

If Manning had a decade like that, he'd be run out of New York. If Philip Rivers kept chucking ridiculous overtime interceptions in the postseason, he would be branded a first-round bust. If Drew Brees came up short in three out of five home playoff games, he'd be mocked.

But no matter how many dumb passes he threw and how many playoff games he lost, Favre remains immune to criticism.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope my fears aren't realized, but the biggest stat Favre brings to the Jets is his consecutive starts. He still has a cannon of an arm and they'd be stupid not to test the deep secondary at increments all game long.

There's a new team in the east -the New York Bretts.

Can someone comment on the comparison between the GB offense and NY offense? Hasn't Favre played in the West Coast Offense for his whole career in GB and now he will not be (while in NY)? Could this affect his play?

well i think the Jets run a similar offense, but Favre would have to learn all the new terminology in short order. Also it should be pointed out that Glazer was talking yesterday that before last season the Packers had Favre workout basically all offseason with special trainers to work on his timing and conditioning and that apparently the Pack thinks that that was a major reason for his better year. This year he threw the ball around with some high schoolers in Mississippi.

Not a good day for Bills fans.

Why....because we see him twice a year?

Favre is a sure-fire Hall of Famer, yes. But he's not the same as he was 10 years ago. There's something to be said about doing too much to keep a play alive and hurting your own team....his improvisation style caught some magic last year, but I don't see that working well all the time.

The QB is a huge part of the team, but it's not the entire team.

who cares? just another false start for a bad jets team ... a gimmick move to match their coach's gimmick plays. they gave up next to nothing for him, so from that perspective it's good for them. but it's bad in the sense that just like Green Bay, a soon to be 39 year old Favre was not the answer. Same for Jets who will now showcase him to sell tickets, when they should be developing their real QB of the future, who ever that might be.

I'm not worried about the Jets keeping the Bills from the playoffs. I think this move makes them about as good as the Bills, MAYBE a slight better.

The teams I'm worried about keeping the Bills from the playoffs are the Jacksonvilles, Clevelands, Denvers and even Texans of the world. Fortunately, Buffalo takes on three of those teams. Unfortunately, two are on the road.

well i think the Jets run a similar offense, but Favre would have to learn all the new terminology in short order. Also it should be pointed out that Glazer was talking yesterday that before last season the Packers had Favre workout basically all offseason with special trainers to work on his timing and conditioning and that apparently the Pack thinks that that was a major reason for his better year. This year he threw the ball around with some high schoolers in Mississippi.

He's been in the league for 17 years. No doubt differing terminology will have an effect, but I wouldn't think there is an offensive or defensive formation he hasn't seen repeatedly.

Crowding the LOS - not a bad strategy against Penny - could be hazardous. As a previous poster mentioned, that could bode well for the NYJ run game.

Thank you for correcting that idiotic statement.

Cotchery and Coles is a hell of a lot better than what we have here....Along with their TE position and without Peters I give them the edge at offensive line and without question.....Quarterback with the addition of Farve.

Yeah....well.......they're the Jets.........soooo....ummmm....we're still better.

The previous statement is caked with a casm of the sar variety.

OK GUYS LISTEN HERE:

I'm from New Jersey flowing Bills blood in my body, I'm also an OLD School member on this message board and have been to alot of twobillsdrive home openers at the Hammers Lot along with alot of road trips to the Ralph from Jersey. Plus my share of watching the Bills play the Jets here at the Meadowlands.

Reading what everyone is writing here there are some good points, especially the argument the either the Jets have weapons and will be great or have no weapons and will still stink.

Everyone here in NJ is in an uproar - Do you know what my response is to them and it should be yours!!??!?

I AIN"T SCARED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'll tell you why...... Brett has been in the same system in the same atmosphere the majority of his career after he left the Falcons to go the Pack. Secondly, yes there are receivers for the Jets, but he still needs to learn a new system and how long will it be for him.... This is a perfect example of CAN YOU TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS. Third, nowadays you need to be a more mobile QB which he had slowly shown he is loosing.

Lastly, if you are Bills fans you should remember the last time we played the PACK which was two years ago we beat them and Brett did not know what to do, we had him blanket.

PREACH ON WITH ME - I AIN"T SCARED....

GO BILLS

I may get shot for suggesting this...but is anyone else interested in Pennington as our backup? I know that he has a noodle arm, but he has the smarts to play in an NFL offense, and it would be backup to Edwards. After this year, Losman is gone and we have no one.

"If he comes cheap" (and he might, wanting to stay in the division and stick it to the Jets), he might be a good solution for the next couple of years.

Are you kidding me? Coles and Cotchery are a better set of receivers than we have here, and they have a better set of TE's too with Dustin Keller, Chris Baker and Bubba Franks. That was a very moronic statement.

Thank you.

I know people get delusional this time of year, but for anyone to think the Bills are vastly better than the Jets is laughable. Especially at WR....who do the Bills have? A rookie, a punt returner and a supposed star who has averaged 58 catches a year in his 4 year career? I'm sure that group keeps defensive coordinators up at night.

I strongly suspect the Jets to be an improved team this year and one of those who will challenge the Bills for a wildcard. Last season they had injuries and where hugely distracted by their mess at QB -- they were literally swapping them series to series in some games. They have a young line that is improving and better offensive skill players than the Bills at every position except HB. Underestimate them at your peril.

OK GUYS LISTEN HERE:

I'm from New Jersey flowing Bills blood in my body, I'm also an OLD School member on this message board and have been to alot of twobillsdrive home openers at the Hammers Lot along with alot of road trips to the Ralph from Jersey. Plus my share of watching the Bills play the Jets here at the Meadowlands.

Reading what everyone is writing here there are some good points, especially the argument the either the Jets have weapons and will be great or have no weapons and will still stink.

Everyone here in NJ is in an uproar - Do you know what my response is to them and it should be yours!!??!?

I AIN"T SCARED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'll tell you why...... Brett has been in the same system in the same atmosphere the majority of his career after he left the Falcons to go the Pack. Secondly, yes there are receivers for the Jets, but he still needs to learn a new system and how long will it be for him.... This is a perfect example of CAN YOU TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS. Third, nowadays you need to be a more mobile QB which he had slowly shown he is loosing.

Lastly, if you are Bills fans you should remember the last time we played the PACK which was two years ago we beat them and Brett did not know what to do, we had him blanket.

PREACH ON WITH ME - I AIN"T SCARED....

GO BILLS

As a fellow New Jerseyan my #1 concern about this situation is how much this is going to drive the ticket prices up for jets games. Last year I was able to get lower level seats and parking passes for 45 bucks a piece on stub hub and most of the jets fans left a tie game in the 4th quarter to protest chad pennington and we could go down to the front row for Losman to Evans. Now no matter how bad the jets are, they're gonna sell out, and I'm gonna have to pay more for tickets to the Bills game.