Artie Lange in rehab

John Adams

That's really what the show has boiled down to. No more "Who's the Jew" or "Bestiality Dial-a-Date". Not even anymore Butt Bongo. Just 4 hours of whining. $500M will spoil you.

PTR

Yeah, they should do the same bits they did from 1990. They've grown. Your turn.

By the way, if you want some canned bits, listen to your local morning yuckfest. I'm sure they are belching out the alphabet today.

I give Howard a pass on sometimes letting success go to his head because Howard really had to do some lousy jobs and face rejection when he started, but he stuck to his vision and in the end it worked. He made it in spite of his looks, not because of them like most other celebraties. Not so much compassion for people who came onboard after the success like Artie, who has a job that allows him to basically do whatever he wants, all he has to do is show up. I understand that part of Artie's appeal is his personal life and habits, but he's gone overboard. I always preferred Jackie anyways.

Yeah, they should do the same bits they did from 1990. They've grown. Your turn.

By the way, if you want some canned bits, listen to your local morning yuckfest. I'm sure they are belching out the alphabet today.

Right. They've grown...into just talking about themselves for 4+ hours a day. Creativity is so 1990's.

PTR

What is it about the Stern show that turns people into such crybabies? Or does Howard like to hire crybabies because they are so pathetic without realizing it?

PTR

It's the latter. I think most of the people on that show (save Howard and Robin) live pathetic lives. I think that's been part of the show's appeal over the years...Howard would have on these amazingly bizarre characters, while belching on-air and trying to get some Penthouse pet's panties off at the same time.

But like everything else, it's grown old over time. The show will live on until the end of his Sirius contract...at which time Howard will retire and Sirius will repeat the same shows over and over again in perpetuity.

Complaining that Stern's act is old and tired is like going to a Rolling Stones concert and complaining that they played too many rock and roll songs.

There are a lot things that haven't changed over the years, and I still enjoy them: beer, women, etc. If you don't like Stern, don't listen.

BTW, Stern sucks and it's been 15 years since he was funny. I hate him but I love to diss him on message boards.

For someone who feels the show's best years are long since gone, you sure do appear to be a frequent listener.

I'm not a frequent listener. But having Sirius I like to click ch100 once in a while and make a bet with myself that Stern is talking about himself or a cast member...and I'm usually right. They did recently do a History of Stern which I found interesting. They also play old bits from K-Rock. If you are a Stern fan you have to admit there is a 180 degree difference of where the show used to be and where it is now. Someone called it growth. I call it stagnation.

PTR

I'm not a frequent listener. But having Sirius I like to click ch100 once in a while and make a bet with myself that Stern is talking about himself or a cast member...and I'm usually right. They did recently do a History of Stern which I found interesting. They also play old bits from K-Rock. If you are a Stern fan you have to admit there is a 180 degree difference of where the show used to be and where it is now. Someone called it growth. I call it stagnation.

PTR

I agree, the show is much better since the move to Sirius.

I listened to him at work years ago before the move to Sirius. I stopped listening just before that because I became annoyed with his constant whining about the guy from CBS. The entire show just became him crying over it and taking shots at him for screwing him over. I won't pay money now to listen to his show.

PTR

As always, too each his own. But after reading this thread I realize one thing, that absolutely no other personality on radio would even come close to inspiring this kind of debate. Not sure what that means but it does say the Howard and his show is anything but ignored. Unlike any of the countless poser morning shows that never make me laugh. They just make me sigh and turn the radio off. That does not happen too often with Stern. Except maybe sometimes Robin and her untalented big pie hole go on and on. And again, my own opinion, the old shows are unlistenable. They really seem dated to me. To me they are more refined and clever now. Artie helps a lot in that regard. So does Sal and Richard with their phony phone calls.

PTR

The bit-driven Jackie days sound awful; I can't stand those rerun shows--the History of Stern was terrible.

The show's become a better mix of reality radio and current events talk.

PTR

I sort of agree, there's a lot of things about the show that annoy me nowadays (merger talk, horrible hot chick interviews, callers promoting HTV constantly, certain guests that they have on way too much like Dee Snider) but even with its flaws it's still light years better than any other radio show. I mean does it get any better than Steve Langford accusing Eric the Midget of eating his own booger!?

The bit-driven Jackie days sound awful; I can't stand those rerun shows--the History of Stern was terrible.

The show's become a better mix of reality radio and current events talk.

Ya, my favorite part of the show has always been the 6-7 hour when Howard and the gang would just talk about what's going on in the world. Also any time they get Ronnie or JD into the studio is great!