Edwards/ Losman things of note

With our skilled and speedy receivers, we shouldn't have to "bomb it" out. Quick and short passes are an easy way to first downs. That's what Brady and Pats do effectively against teams like the Bills.

But obviously they can also air it deep because they have a guy (Moss) who can haul in those passes consistently even with a CB all over him. Hardy will need to be that guy because I just don't see Evans as a deep threat unless he burns his guy at the line.

In the few videos I've seen from camp, it seems to me JP is still on "lock on" mode. He simply doesn't know how to read the field outside of one or two targets. Trent's head is always moving looking for the smart throw. That to me is something you can't teach and why I was on the Edwards bandwagon last preseason before JP went down.

Edwards is still not getting the ball downfield enough & is checking down too quickly before alot of plays can develop.

Losman still is waiting too long for plays to develop downfield & isn't checking down quick enough

Please try your best to ingest this article, I know it's going to be difficult for you:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ions/index.html

"If quarterbacks were judged based upon how they did in practice, guys like Rob Johnson and David Carr would still be in the league."

With our skilled and speedy receivers, we shouldn't have to "bomb it" out. Quick and short passes are an easy way to first downs. That's what Brady and Pats do effectively against teams like the Bills.

But obviously they can also air it deep because they have a guy (Moss) who can haul in those passes consistently even with a CB all over him. Hardy will need to be that guy because I just don't see Evans as a deep threat unless he burns his guy at the line.

In the few videos I've seen from camp, it seems to me JP is still on "lock on" mode. He simply doesn't know how to read the field outside of one or two targets. Trent's head is always moving looking for the smart throw. That to me is something you can't teach and why I was on the Edwards bandwagon last preseason before JP went down.

Evans leads the league in TD's for 70 yards or more in the last few years with 5. Three other receivers have more than one. I don't think it's a problem for Evans to beat anyone "right off the Line". He's the best deep threat in the game.

Evans leads the league in TD's for 70 yards or more in the last few years with 5. Three other receivers have more than one. I don't think it's a problem for Evans to beat anyone "right off the Line". He's the best deep threat in the game.

Was he closely covered? Did a DB miss an assignment, get blocked, or fall down?

Yeah, I agree. I've never seen Evans catch a deep ball. I wish that the Bills could score 70-yard touchdowns. :worthy:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...mp;d-447263-p=1

That's all well and good, and I'm not trying to discredit Evans, but you realize that two of those came in one quarter?

Not exactly consistently beating guys deep.

The point was that Evans can burn guys within the first five yards. The Jets TD being one of the few exceptions.

Edwards is still not getting the ball downfield enough & is checking down too quickly before alot of plays can develop.

Losman still is waiting too long for plays to develop downfield & isn't checking down quick enough

Exactly what Hamilton said on GR yesterday. They are 2 totally different QB's...

That's all well and good, and I'm not trying to discredit Evans, but you realize that two of those came in one quarter?

Not exactly consistently beating guys deep.

The point was that Evans can burn guys within the first five yards. The Jets TD being one of the few exceptions.

If you ask me, two TD's in one quarter make it even more impressive. I'm sure the Texans' coaches tried to give that CB some help after the DB got burned so badly the first time and Lee still smoked his ass the second time.

Yeah, I agree. I've never seen Evans catch a deep ball. I wish that the Bills could score 70-yard touchdowns. :worthy:

If Evans does beat his guy off the line, Edwards will find him like 95% of the QBs in this league would when a guy is completely open on a home-run pass. I never said or implied that Evans doesn't get his share of deep touchdowns.

My point was that, and going back to the original posters statements, Edwards is not going to throw the ball 50 yards down field if Evans isn't in an ideal situation, and to me that's the smart and right thing to do when you can check off to a receiver who is open (something JP can't do for whatever reason).

If Evans does beat his guy off the line, Edwards will find him like 95% of the QBs in this league would when a guy is completely open on a home-run pass. I never said or implied that Evans doesn't get his share of deep touchdowns.

My point was that, and going back to the original posters statements, Edwards is not going to throw the ball 50 yards down field if Evans isn't in an ideal situation, and to me that's the smart and right thing to do when you can check off to a receiver who is open (something JP can't do for whatever reason).

Not saying TE won't do it...but sometimes it's good just to throw the ball deep, even if Evans isn't open, to keep the D honest. Of course as long as he overthrows LE and there is no chance for a pick. I'm not saying he should do it all the time, but he can't just throw the deep ball when Evans is in an "ideal situation". This is all with the assumption he will have time, please get to camp JP!!!!

You remember the deep pass he fought for in traffic against the Jets, right??

I don't want to take anything away from Lee on that play but the only reason he caught that and got the TD was because the Jets' safety completely took his own cornerback out and pushed the ball into Evans' direction. Had the safety hit Evans and not his teammate, I'm not so sure the play doesn't turn into an interception at worst.

Not saying TE won't do it...but sometimes it's good just to throw the ball deep, even if Evans isn't open, to keep the D honest. Of course as long as he overthrows LE and there is no chance for a pick. I'm not saying he should do it all the time, but he can't just throw the deep ball when Evans is in an "ideal situation". This is all with the assumption he will have time, please get to camp JP!!!!

I agree that throwing it deep every now and then will keep the defense honest but with Losman I think you get the opposite. Teams know he's locking onto Evans and they take away the long ball most of the time because JP hasn't shown the ability to make the correct short reads.

The one example I will never forget was at last season's home opener. On a critical third down play, Losman locked onto to Evans for a few seconds and ended up throwing the ball into coverage when both Reed and Parrish were jumping and waving their arms because there was no opponent within 30 yards of them. They had the whole left side of the field as the lone Bronco defender near them slipped and fell. They were 20 yards off the line and had about 60 yards of free space to run it in for an easy score. JP had the protection and he never once looked to that side of the field. It was a throw the majority of us on this board could have made.