Bills sign McKelvin

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/400527.html

PITTSFORD — The Buffalo Bills reached an agreement on a contract with first-round draft pick Leodis McKelvin this afternoon.

Terms were not immediately available. It's expected the deal will be for five years and will be worth roughly $3.6 million a year. McKelvin was the last Bills rookie unsigned. He was one of only four out of 31 first-round picks who had remained unsigned as of noon today.

McKelvin missed the first three practices of the summer. However, he will be in camp in time for the first practice in pads, to be held Monday.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PITTSFORD — The Buffalo Bills reached an agreement on a contract with first-round draft pick Leodis McKelvin this afternoon.

Terms were not immediately available. It's expected the deal will be for five years and will be worth roughly $3.6 million a year. McKelvin was the last Bills rookie unsigned. He was one of only four out of 31 first-round picks who had remained unsigned as of noon today.

McKelvin missed the first three practices of the summer. However, he will be in camp in time for the first practice in pads, to be held Monday.

good stuff... Too bad he missed four practices already!

just astonishing how fast the money drops off when you get outside the top 10.........the top 6 picks are all making 10M/year or more.......what a screwed up system that punishes teams that pick earlier.........i would be shocked if this doesn't get cleaned up in the next CBA

Sweet! I don't what he was waiting for, but missing those 4 practices did not help him at all and what did he gain money wise? A couple million? :cry:

Both Greer and James have impressed so far. So he's a little behind now.

Pick 10 Mayo got a five-year deal worth $18.9M with $13.8M guaranteed.

Pick 11 McKelvin got a five-year deal worth $19.4 million deal with $12.6 million in bonuses.

Pick 12 Clady got a five-year deal worth $17.5M with $11.5M guaranteed.

Sweet! I don't what he was waiting for, but missing those 4 practices did not help him at all and what did he gain money wise? A couple million? :cry:

Both Greer and James have impressed so far. So he's a little behind now.

It's strange but I doubt McKelvin had any say in this. The agents all know the system and I'm sure the rookies just wait until they hear it's done.

Pick 11 McKelvin got a five-year deal worth $19.4 million deal with $12.6 million in bonuses.

Good to see the Bills took the extra time and still overpaid.

If they were going to open the checkbook, you think they could have closed the deal before camp started.

I guess that's how "slotting" works. ;):worthy::cry:

There's something fishy about the fact that McKelvin's contract is reported to be bigger than Mayo's. I have to believe that a term, an amount, and guarantees aren't really enough information to compare rookie contracts - there are far too many incentives worked into any of those deals. Mayo has more guaranteed money, and likely, will have an easier time reaching his escalators than McKelvin will.

so should we start the pool now to see what team signs McKelvin to a ridiculous free agent contract in 5 years

Good to see the Bills took the extra time and still overpaid.

If they were going to open the checkbook, you think they could have closed the deal before camp started.

It just keeps getting crazier. Seriously, look at what is happening......

They won't pay their pro bowl LT, but they will pay their #11 corner (who will play out his contract and leave) more than the #10. Great.

Whitner, who doesn't force fumbles, sack qbs, or pick off passes is now something of a guru; a team leader who makes most of his tackles a mile past scrimage.

Look, I love this team; I always will, but to quote SDS, I am becoming more of a "fan of Bills Fans and WNY" than I am of the way this team is managed. They are a blueprint of what not to do in terms of building a football team that wins games.

I invite any football fan to examine the rosters of every team that ever won, let alone made a superbowl. These names will include LTs Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden, Jumbo Elliot, Walter Jones, Anthony Munoz, Will Wolford, Jackie Slater, and a host of others that I am too lazy to look up/list.

Many of these teams had great corners too but excuse me....where is our Deion Sanders. Mel Blount? No, we use our top resources on corners, most of whom are good, and then we let them walk. Makes sense? :cry:

Our OL WITH Peters is thin, yet we devote our resources to being a farm team for defensive backs, this as a cold weather franchise where passing matters less. Imo, Bills Fans are the greatest fans of any team in any sport. We deserve far more than stupidity like this.

The good news is that if we tank yet again, one would think that Jauron is gone. Maybe they will throw the rest of these idiots out as well and hire some people who know how to build a strong football team, and win.

So now, McCorner makes more money than Jason Peters.

Yeah.....that makes a lot of sense.

I agree with you that peters deserves more, but this point of your argument sucks. Matt Ryan is making more than Brady and Manning, but you don't see them bitching. Rookie salaries are f'd up in general and comparing them to veteran salaries isnt comparing apples to apples.