Peters may be willing to sit all season

scribo

Well said and Peters is coming off an injury.

That may be the number one factor if your the Bills. Let's see if Peter's is in shape & fully recovered from his injury, then we'll talk. Both sides have a good argument, but sitting out probably isn't the best route for Peter's IMO.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back and check your facts. Schobel signed his new deal on August 24th. That's hardly "as camp opened." While he skipped OTAs, Schobel was there all throughout camp busting his ass getting prepared for a season. He wasnt whining and staying home like Peters is.

Also, i have yet to see proof that Schobel was dissatisfied with his old deal. He simply got paid in line with what other top DEs are making. Another difference is that Schobel had proven his worth over 5-6 seasons, not 1.

Schobel explained that the deal was worked out before camp, they just had some details to work out which is why it wasn't actually signed until later.

From Chris Brown's Blog:

"Schobel said the main body of the contract was complete at the start of training camp, but because it was a bit different from typical contracts it took time to iron out all the details."

Please explain why you didn't know this.

As for proof that Schobel was disatisfied with his contract:

“Well he [schobel] told me from day one coming into the season last year that he was hoping they would up my contract and extend me because if they did so he’d have some leverage as well,” said Kelsay. “Schobel is not a dumb guy. He knows the business side of it too. As soon as I signed he knew it was his turn.” See Brown

And this from the Washington Post addressing trade rumor about Schobel:

"After sitting out a week or so of OTAs in Buffalo, Schobel reported last week, but from what I heard he isn't happy. Far from it He wants a new deal (get in line, 'cause that's an epidemic these days), particularly after seeing all the crazy money the usually tight-wadded franchise threw around on outsiders in free agency this year"

Really, there are so many articles covering his concern about his contract and desire for a rewrite that I am not going to bother digging them all up. Suffice it to say it is not exactly a stretch of logic to conclude he wasn't happy when you consder that he never missed a practice or game and suddenly skipped a week of OTA's just after the team signed a lesser player at the same position for more money.

Not only did we resign him, we made him the highest paid player in team history at the time.

Please show me some proof of this "whining" you accuse Peters of?

These two situations are far more alike then different. I don't understand how anyone could possibly think that the minor differences in their actions justify one guy being rewarded with the best contract in team history while the other is raked over the coals and further that those petty differences are worth losing our best player over.

I'd admonish you to check your facts again but clearly that isn't your style.

Go back and check your facts. Schobel signed his new deal on August 24th. That's hardly "as camp opened." While he skipped OTAs, Schobel was there all throughout camp busting his ass getting prepared for a season. He wasnt whining and staying home like Peters is.

Also, i have yet to see proof that Schobel was dissatisfied with his old deal. He simply got paid in line with what other top DEs are making. Another difference is that Schobel had proven his worth over 5-6 seasons, not 1.

Keep it real and make it 2. Ross Tucker told me that Peters was the best he ever played with, and is challenging Walter Jones as the best in the league.

If signing a contract on August 24 is your idea of getting it done before training camp, then I want a piece of your calendar. When did facts matter to you anyway?

Gee, I hate to embarass you like this and I know you won't be man enough to apologize anyway but since you were so willing to leap before looking, here goes:

From Chrs Brown's blog:

"Schobel said the main body of the contract was complete at the start of training camp, but because it was a bit different from typical contracts it took time to iron out all the details."

If your going to insult somebody, you might want to check your facts first. I'd insult you back but the facts do that without any help from me.

The precise chain of events does not matter. Peters has made it clear he has no committment at all to the organization that elevated him from unwanted free agent tight end to pro bowl offensive tackle, while they clearly showed their commttment to him two years ago making him, at the time, the highest paid offensive lineman on the team. This was not the case with Schoebel. There is clearly something else going on here between Peters, his agent, and The Bills. My guess based on the public information and Parker's history is that his agent is playing this poorly and giving him bad advice.

The Bills need him, but he needs to show up, and then the team will negotiate. If he does not, then he can sit and throw away his career. The Bills own his rights. He will show up and play, or he will find a new job. If the Bills back down on this point, there is no end to it. Peters will be in camp, sooner than later. If not, move on. Its a business, and no business would negotiate with any employee under these tems, when they clearly hold all the cards.

These two situations are far more alike then different. I don't understand how anyone could possibly think that the minor differences in their actions justify one guy being rewarded with the best contract in team history while the other is raked over the coals and further that those petty differences are worth losing our best player over.

Except that Schobel showed up in the OTAs and the team knew his medical and conditioning levels. He missed one to show a sign of his displeasure, but he reported to the others. From the sounds of it, Bills are not adamant that they wouldn't extend Peters, but would like to have seen his fat arse in Buffalo before they started talks. Tell me counselor, how do your negotiations go when one party is absent?

Now back to your facts again...

Keep it real and make it 2. Ross Tucker told me that Peters was the best he ever played with, and is challenging Walter Jones as the best in the league.

I'll give peters his due and say 2. And i totally agree with you that he does need to be paid, however, it doesnt need to be before this season. Getting Lee locked up is more important. With 3 years left on the deal, the Bills can sign peters next offseason. Next february he can get his 60 million with 25 guaranteed contract.

Or maybe it would be nice of him to show up to camp and show he's committed to the team.

I just don't get it. No two situations are ever exactly alike but these two, Schobel and Peters, are close enough that it is almost surreal that Peters is being so roundly criticized while Schobel was not. I can see being ticked at both or defending both. I don't see any basis for the difference in opinions and treatment. Who knows, maybe if we didn't accomodate Schobel last year, Peters wouldn't be trying to get the same accomodation now.

We need this guy and there is just no way he and his agent don't see the similarities between the two situations. I'd find it far more defensible for the team to have refused to extend either contract than I do extending one and not the other.

The difference is, when it came to MANDATORY camps, Schobel showed up and Peters has not. OTAs, Schobel skips at a breakneck pace prior to his contract. But Minicamp and training camp he was there and working. To date, Peters has not even given that. That is the difference.

Is this another one of your facts? Did he play in the 2007 season finale?

Keep the faith said "Well Said" in reference to this post:

"Go back and check your facts. Schobel signed his new deal on August 24th. That's hardly "as camp opened." While he skipped OTAs, Schobel was there all throughout camp busting his ass getting prepared for a season. He wasnt whining and staying home like Peters is.

Also, i have yet to see proof that Schobel was dissatisfied with his old deal. He simply got paid in line with what other top DEs are making. Another difference is that Schobel had proven his worth over 5-6 seasons, not 1."

To which I responded that none of "it", the post above, is true. Please note that the post under discussion does not mention the Peter's injury.

Still waiting for your response about the timing of Schobel's deal, the one that lead you to jump in to the debate with a personal insult.

Gee, I hate to embarass you like this and I know you won't be man enough to apologize anyway but since you were so willing to leap before looking, here goes:

From Chrs Brown's blog:

If your going to insult somebody, you might want to check your facts first. I'd insult you back but the facts do that without any help from me.

Perhaps they were able to get the parameters on the contract set up as you've stated because Schobel showed up to mini camp, giving them the olive branch they wanted to begin negotiations?

"Go back and check your facts. Schobel signed his new deal on August 24th. That's hardly "as camp opened." While he skipped OTAs, Schobel was there all throughout camp busting his ass getting prepared for a season. He wasnt whining and staying home like Peters is.

Also, i have yet to see proof that Schobel was dissatisfied with his old deal. He simply got paid in line with what other top DEs are making. Another difference is that Schobel had proven his worth over 5-6 seasons, not 1."

To which I responded that none of "it", the post above, is true. Please note that the post under discussion does not mention the Peter's injury.

Still waiting for your response about the timing of Schobel's deal, the one that lead you to jump in to the debate with a personal insult.

"None" also includes the coming off an injury part, which was part of the specific post that you responded to. Sorry to throw in verbal technicalities to an attorney, I'm sure you get a pass on those in your day job. Sorry to hold you up to a higher standard than a dishwasher (no offense to dishwashers)

The difference is, when it came to MANDATORY camps, Schobel showed up and Peters has not. OTAs, Schobel skips at a breakneck pace prior to his contract. But Minicamp and training camp he was there and working. To date, Peters has not even given that. That is the difference.

True. But don't give him credit for reporting to training camp, the deal was done by then, Peters doesn't even have an offer as far as we know. Do we have any idea if, when he Schobel returned to the off season sessions, his contract negotiations were well underway? There may have been a perfectly good reason for him to have shown.

Do you really think this difference justifies making one guy the highest paid player in team history and the other the target of public criticism with nary a hint of a new deal in the air? I know Brandon has said stuff about Peters not being in camp, has Jason said word one in public about the team? Whose skills are likely to get better and whose, given his age, are more likely to decline? There are plenty of differences which weigh in Peter's favor if you want to dice things this thin but the basic point I think is the situations are similar enough that there is no justification for a drastically different outcome.

And this from the Washington Post addressing trade rumor about Schobel:

"After sitting out a week or so of OTAs in Buffalo, Schobel reported last week, but from what I heard he isn't happy. Far from it He wants a new deal (get in line, 'cause that's an epidemic these days), particularly after seeing all the crazy money the usually tight-wadded franchise threw around on outsiders in free agency this year"

Really, there are so many articles covering his concern about his contract and desire for a rewrite that I am not going to bother digging them all up. Suffice it to say it is not exactly a stretch of logic to conclude he wasn't happy when you consder that he never missed a practice or game and suddenly skipped a week of OTA's just after the team signed a lesser player at the same position for more money.

Not only did we resign him, we made him the highest paid player in team history at the time.

Please show me some proof of this "whining" you accuse Peters of?

The franchise's second-all-time leading sacker skipped a week of OTAs. He was there for every mandatory minicamp, and reported to SJF on time.

One of these things is not like the other ...

Perhaps they were able to get the parameters on the contract set up as you've stated because Schobel showed up to mini camp, giving them the olive branch they wanted to begin negotiations?

...or maybe Ralph was dating his mother. Total speculation and that is fine, if we didn't speculate around here we would have no fun at all. Lacking any facts on this particular point, you are free to speculate in favor of Schobel but that could just as easily be done for Peters. Maybe the team committed to a new contract with Schobel right away with the details to be worked out so that is why he came back, maybe they haven't given Peters any indication at all as to what they want to do even though it was clear from the first missed OTA that he wanted a new deal.

Again, I don't really see any reason to assume the best for Schobel and the worst for Peters.

True. But don't give him credit for reporting to training camp, the deal was done by then, Peters doesn't even have an offer as far as we know. Do we have any idea if, when he Schobel returned to the off season sessions, his contract negotiations were well underway? There may have been a perfectly good reason for him to have shown.

Do you really think this difference justifies making one guy the highest paid player in team history and the other the target of public criticism with nary a hint of a new deal in the air? I know Brandon has said stuff about Peters not being in camp, has Jason said word one in public about the team? Whose skills are likely to get better and whose, given his age, are more likely to decline? There are plenty of differences which weigh in Peter's favor if you want to dice things this thin but the basic point I think is the situations are similar enough that there is no justification for a drastically different outcome.

Mickey, I do. And I don't hold either player in low regard - I just feel that if Peters wants more money, show up and say so. I'd rather have him in camp learning the new plays and getting himself and his teammates better (really, how do you expect a kid like ellis to get better vs chambers?) instead of just chilling at home and working out on his own terms.

...or maybe Ralph was dating his mother. Total speculation and that is fine, if we didn't speculate around here we would have no fun at all. Lacking any facts on this particular point, you are free to speculate in favor of Schobel but that could just as easily be done for Peters. Maybe the team committed to a new contract with Schobel right away with the details to be worked out so that is why he came back, maybe they haven't given Peters any indication at all as to what they want to do even though it was clear from the first missed OTA that he wanted a new deal.

Again, I don't really see any reason to assume the best for Schobel and the worst for Peters.

No, that's not speculation, that's fact as stated by the front office. They do not negotiate if you do not show up. They do not negotiate if you do not communicate. You merely choose to ignore the fact the the player in question, Jason Peters, IS WRONG. If he wants more money the brass has stated how he can get it: show up. Not too hard. If he wants to pout and not chat with them in person, then he will lose a lot of money. And if he's fine with that, that's on him.

Let's stay with the dishwasher theme again, as your post is certainly evocative of that type of a response, ie commenting on ongoing negotiations basing your opinion on words printed in the news, rather than on a first hand account. How do you know that the Peters/Schobel situation is identical, other than both asking for more money? What types of negotiations were happening between the parties during this time? What were the opening offers on both sides? What conditions? Threats to hold out? Health of both players? Until you provide answers to each of those, your speculation is useless, other than to let us know that you like Peters more than Schobel. Goodie.

But the two situations aren't identical. The closer parallel is to Darwin Walker, and you see how Bills respond to hardball tactics by agents.

It's always easier to be cavalier with someone else's money.