Peters angry with contrace? I doubt it.

I keep reading that Jason Peters is upset and or angry with his contract. I don't think so. I bet he's keeping in shape, doing his hobbies (bowling, knitting, sudoku, etc.) while his agent is doing the right thing. And the Bills are doing the right thing, getting ready to take care of business. He'll get a new deal. They knew they were gonna have to redo his contract a year ago when they signed Dockery and Walker to those huge deals. They got Peters to play last year for less than half of the guy next to him. They played it well (assuming that Dockery and Walker are worth what they are being paid).

I keep reading that Jason Peters is upset and or angry with his contract. I don't think so. I bet he's keeping in shape, doing his hobbies (bowling, knitting, sudoku, etc.) while his agent is doing the right thing. And the Bills are doing the right thing, getting ready to take care of business. He'll get a new deal. They knew they were gonna have to redo his contract a year ago when they signed Dockery and Walker to those huge deals. They got Peters to play last year for less than half of the guy next to him. They played it well (assuming that Dockery and Walker are worth what they are being paid).

???

If he is not upset with his contract, he would be in Buffalo ready for training camp and not threatening to hold out.

How is his agent doing the right thing? His job is to get his player on the field in time for TC the regular season. His job is also to get his player the best deal when it comes time to negotiate a new deal. Obviously his agent didn't do a good job at that last one when 2 years ago he was negotiating a new long term deal for his client, knowing full well his client was playing RT and would be groomed to try LT eventually. I don't blame the agent or Peters for trying to get more now, but theres a few things to consider. If they figured he would be switching over to LT (and they obviously knew they would try it seeing as how they made the move halfway through his first year, why would they agree to a 5 year deal? why not a 2-3 year deal that they could renegotiate after he became established? And if it didn't work out in his favor and he didn't become a great LT, would he be willing to pay back any money or renegotiate for a lower deal because he was being overpayed?

And you are trying to say that after only a half season at LT and only after one year into the deal the Bills knew they were going to have to renegotiate the deal when they brought in Dockery and Walker?

Of course he will get a better deal, the Bills know they can't be without him, and so does Peters and his agent. The original deal was only signed because it provided insurance incase Peters didn't establish into a great LT. But theres no point for a team to try and sign a player before they become a FA anymore and hope to get someone at a discount rate because it won't happen anymore. Players will just threaten to sit out until the team decides to renegotiate if they have a good year

Im on the fence with Jason Peters.........

The guy deserves his money no doubt!

But he did agree on his current contract. I might be wrong when I say this but he had more then 2 years left on his current contract? If he waits until he has a year or so left I dont have an issue with it.

But really both sides need one another. Jason Peters deserves his money, Buffalo needs a Pro Bowl LT.

But he did agree on his current contract. I might be wrong when I say this but he had more then 2 years left on his current contract? If he waits until he has a year or so left I dont have an issue with it.

But really both sides need one another. Jason Peters deserves his money, Buffalo needs a Pro Bowl LT.

Is he healthy?

maybe the ploy to get a big spanking new contract BEFORE camp is because he is more seriously hurt than the public realizzes.

Since he missed all of the off-season activities, whether he recovered from his serious groin injury can not be confirmed

I disagree.

Signed,

Aaron Schobel

the "report" I read today indicated that the holdout has to do with his agent being a dork.

Both Peters and Lee Evans are expected in camp this week.

Both Peters and Evans are grossly underpaid for their contribution to the team and are not in line with the rest of the league as far as their positions go. They are both crucial to this team's success.

Pay them and let's play some football.

I believe he has 3 left (he just finished year 2 of 5 IIRC)

I agree, he does deserve more money, but he did just agree to this contract

The problem with the NFL today is that a contract means nothing. If a player has a good year, they will want to renegotiate and will threaten to sit out. You don't get the ability anymore to have a guy signed to a reasonable deal (underpay) for long. Once they get to the point where they feel they are underpayed, they demand a raise or a new deal. You will never see a player ask to renegotiate for a lower deal cause they aren't living up to the one they have.

The problem with the NFL today is that a contract means nothing. If a player has a good year, they will want to renegotiate and will threaten to sit out. You don't get the ability anymore to have a guy signed to a reasonable deal (underpay) for long. Once they get to the point where they feel they are underpayed, they demand a raise or a new deal. You will never see a player ask to renegotiate for a lower deal cause they aren't living up to the one they have.

But a team can cut or release a player who is under contract at their whim with no repercussions. I'm all for players fighting back. The teams are in better position than the players as far as contracts go.

But a team can cut or release a player who is under contract at their whim with no repercussions. I'm all for players fighting back. The teams are in better position than the players as far as contracts go.

Except the teams still have to pay the player their guaranteed money.

Their guaranteed money, which often times doesn't account for the better part of the contract. A regular practice is to let the player stick around until the guarantee has been earned, then cut them; sometimes with multiple years and millions of dollars still on the contract.

Pay their guaranteed money and have some of the salary on their cap.

I knew someone who reply with that comment, and I don't think its fair either, but I bet half the guys that get cut for underperforming would still have a spot on the team if they went to the FO and said they would renegotiate a lower contract to stay. But that will never happen cause if they are released, theres a good chance they will just get picked up by another team that will give them a chance to redeem themselves

Both Peters and Evans are grossly underpaid for their contribution to the team and are not in line with the rest of the league as far as their positions go. They are both crucial to this team's success.

Pay them and let's play some football.

Evans is still on his rookie contract. He will get a new one. Peters signed an extension and has 3 years left. If he is unhappy it is his problem. His agent got him a long-term deal with some financial security and he happily signed it.

correct me if I'm wrong, but .......

Wasn't the contract Peters signed based on RT money (which he was playing at the time)???

IMHO, the Bills opened them self up to to the possibility of having to renegotiate Peters' contract when they moved him to LT.

correct me if I'm wrong, but .......

Wasn't the contract Peters signed based on RT money (which he was playing at the time)???

IMHO, the Bills opened them self up to to the possibility of having to renegotiate Peters' contract when they moved him to LT.

At the time he was a starting RT, and they had plans to move him to LT, which they did by the middle of the first year in his current contract, in year 2 (his first year starting at LT) he became a Pro Bowler.

Most will agree that for a Pro Bowl LT, he is underpayed right now, but the problem is that he just signed the contract, and they had to have had some kind of knowledge of the Bills plan to eventually move him to LT. Why would you then agree to a 5 year deal knowing that you will more then likely move positions to something that will be a higher paying spot? Why wouldn't you look for a 3 year deal so you can renegotiate quicker?

Why would you then agree to a 5 year deal knowing that you will more then likely move positions to something that will be a higher paying spot? Why wouldn't you look for a 3 year deal so you can renegotiate quicker?

IMHO ..... you have to think where he came from ..... undrafted free agent TE .... glad he was even on a team .... destined for camp fodder .... crapola contract ....... and he gets offered a decent contract with some modacom of security of course he jumped at the chance.

Let's put this in a way we all may be able to relate to.

If you are an 18 year old "day laborer" working at an automotive company sweeping floors making minimum wage.

This automotive company has spent big bucks to get a car detailer "with big potential" ...... but this detailer turns out to be a big BIG bust, so your boss fires him and asks if you'd like the detailing job, saying this would be a stepping stone to becoming a mechanic .... your boss also adds that the detailer job is a salary position and offers you a 20% raise with a "contract" promising 6% raise every year for the next 5 years.

Now let's say six months into the job a large number of mechanics quit and the company asks you work as a mechanic (the highest paying position in the shop) so the shop can at least keep repairing cars ..... after working as a mechanic for a year ..... you not only are able to fix cars, but get voted by the association of car fixers (if there is such a thing) the best car fixer in the nation.

Was our boy stupid to take the detailing job at a detailing wage, should he have held out for mechanics wages, should he have demanded less security? (his boss DID say it was a stepping stone to becoming a mechanic)?

Should he NOW demand to be paid as a mechanic now since he has proved himself, or suck it up for a few more years before demanding anything?

Its the fee market at its best. Of course that contract doesn't mean anything. Take Peters, the guy made the pro bowl on a team desperate for offensive talent. He is so far under paid, its ridiculous. Lets say we held him to his contract, what is to stop him from showing up, going through the motions and cashing his check? Do you think he would be eager to sign up with us when his current deal is up? Not a chance. So, if we want a ticked off pro bowler on our hands with no motivation other than to stay healthy and get out of here, all we have to do is hold him to his contract.

I say we stop pretending we have any leverage here at all and simply pay him. Get him into camp all smiles, ready to do some damage on the field and eager to be our rep at the pro bowl for the next 8 years.

Its the fee market at its best. Of course that contract doesn't mean anything. Take Peters, the guy made the pro bowl on a team desperate for offensive talent. He is so far under paid, its ridiculous. Lets say we held him to his contract, what is to stop him from showing up, going through the motions and cashing his check? Do you think he would be eager to sign up with us when his current deal is up? Not a chance. So, if we want a ticked off pro bowler on our hands with no motivation other than to stay healthy and get out of here, all we have to do is hold him to his contract.

I say we stop pretending we have any leverage here at all and simply pay him. Get him into camp all smiles, ready to do some damage on the field and eager to be our rep at the pro bowl for the next 8 years.

Great post Mick! The man needs to get paid.