Thought's on Yesterday

1. WM reminds me a little bit of a more physical Thurman Thomas. His ability to gain extra yardage by contorting his body or finding a small crack is the largest similarity. Of course, he has a long way to go to reach such lofty heights.

2. Travis is a douche bag. I just needed to say that. I really don't care if you disagree.

3. I'm almost convinced Mark Campbell spiked the ball on the TD more because he didn't get lit up (as he seems to be the latest BILL afflicted with "Don Beebe Syndrome") than because the team executed a flawless play in the redzone. Almost.

4. Our defense continues down the road of overrated and poorly prepared. It was painfully obvious to me that Fiedler wasn't completing a pass into the wind if it had to travel more than 15 yards from the LOS, yet we continued to allow their underneath receivers to faux block and then release to the flat for big gains. They only thing that saved snatching another defeat from sure victory was the fact that our offense actually executed when it mattered.

5. Drew can still unleash the beast. Some of those passes were breathtaking in those elements. Of course, he still made some remarkably stupid decisions (Zack Thomas' dropped pic in the red zone being the most glaring). Shane Matthews would have made Fiedler look brilliant in those conditions. Trust me.

6. The Dolphins OLine makes ours look "Hog-like". Schobel's sacks were the result of the same pathetic "around rush" that has been so pathetic all year. The first time the tackle simply missed him, the second the responsible party NEVER EVEN LOOKED AT HIM. Amazingly, we didn't fall on either fumble.

7. Anyone else think the Fish kick returner could be Dexter's long lost son? Same Kazoo-like helmet and "thinking man's" decisions and all.

8. After watching the film today, Wanny may be found swinging from his shower rod tomorrow morning. The second Schobel sack tells the whole story of his team. Hey, guy on the left side of the formation: STAND THERE and do NOTHING. Thanks. Could you come to my office and bring everything in your locker? Alrighty.

9. The holding penalty on Campbell was a terrible call. Taylor wasn't making that play no matter what, considering there were THREE players blocking him and Bledsoe was already running forward when NOTHING actually happened. Drew diving forward was a VERY smart play. Had no idea he was still capable of such endeavors.

10. Mooreman's late 2nd quarter punt may very well have been his greatest kick ever. 47 yards into that wind in that situation was AMAZING. Of course, our defense played the ensuing series holding their collective Johnson's, so it was for naught.

11. Shelton actually showed me something yesterday. It wasn't much, but it was a huge step up from the previous 4 weeks.

12. The pass play on 2nd and goal from the one was RIDICULOUS. Stop doing that stevestojan. NOW. I'm warning you, OC.

13. That challenge may have been for strategic purposes (I surmised the same thing at the time), but it doesn't make it less stupifying. Given the incompetence of NFL officials, it wouldn't have surprised me if they gave us the catch and it ended up 3rd and 15. Not sure how that's better than 4th and 5. It's not a confidence builder (to me anyway) that we need more than a few seconds to know exactly what we're going to do in that situation.

14. If our receivers don't stop dropping easily catchable balls, I'm going to head for a clock tower. I'm only half kidding. Let's wonder why Drew doesn't ever get in a rhythem.

7. Anyone else think the Fish kick returner could be Dexter's long lost son? Same Kazoo-like helmet and "thinking man's" decisions and all.

Bite me, Nanook Smurf.

8. After watching the film today, Wanny may be found swinging from his shower rod tomorrow morning.  The second Schobel sack tells the whole story of his team.  Hey, guy on the left side of the formation:  STAND THERE and do NOTHING. 

When did we trade Pucillo?

9. The holding penalty on Campbell was a terrible call. Taylor wasn't making that play no matter what, considering there were THREE players blocking him and Bledsoe was already running forward when NOTHING actually happened. 

You didn't get the league memo? If you've thrown a blocker to the ground during an early game on a cold and windy October 17th, and in running over him your foot gets stuck in his face mask...well, that's a holding penalty. Actual rule, right next to the one that describes how an unconscious player can maintain posession of a loose ball if any part of him is out of bounds. Look it up.

12. The pass play on 2nd and goal from the one was RIDICULOUS. Stop doing that stevestojan. NOW. I'm warning you, OC.

Yeah...that's where you're supposed to run a naked bootleg or a fake end-around flea-flicker screen pass for negative yardage. Where'd they get this playbook, inside a box of Cracker Jacks? Can we burn it now? (But save that little shovel pass to McGahee play before you do.)

1. WM reminds me a little bit of a more physical Thurman Thomas. His ability to gain extra yardage by contorting his body or finding a small crack is the largest similarity. Of course, he has a long way to go to reach such lofty heights.

2. Travis is a douche bag. I just needed to say that.  I really don't care if you disagree.

3. I'm almost convinced Mark Campbell spiked the ball on the TD more because he didn't get lit up (as he seems to be the latest BILL afflicted with "Don Beebe Syndrome") than because the team executed a flawless play in the redzone. Almost.

4. Our defense continues down the road of overrated and poorly prepared. It was painfully obvious to me that Fiedler wasn't completing a pass into the wind if it had to travel more than 15 yards from the LOS, yet we continued to allow their underneath receivers to faux block and then release to the flat for big gains. They only thing that saved snatching another defeat from sure victory was the fact that our offense actually executed when it mattered.

5. Drew can still unleash the beast. Some of those passes were breathtaking in those elements. Of course, he still made some remarkably stupid decisions (Zack Thomas' dropped pic in the red zone being the most glaring). Shane Matthews would have made Fiedler look brilliant in those conditions. Trust me.

6. The Dolphins OLine makes ours look "Hog-like". Schobel's sacks were the result of the same pathetic "around rush" that has been so pathetic all year. The first time the tackle simply missed him, the second the responsible party NEVER EVEN LOOKED AT HIM. Amazingly, we didn't fall on either fumble.

8. After watching the film today, Wanny may be found swinging from his shower rod tomorrow morning.  The second Schobel sack tells the whole story of his team.  Hey, guy on the left side of the formation:  STAND THERE and do NOTHING.  Thanks.  Could you come to my office and bring everything in your locker?  Alrighty.

9. The holding penalty on Campbell was a terrible call. Taylor wasn't making that play no matter what, considering there were THREE players blocking him and Bledsoe was already running forward when NOTHING actually happened.  Drew diving forward was a VERY smart play.  Had no idea he was still capable of such endeavors.

10. Mooreman's late 2nd quarter punt may very well have been his greatest kick ever. 47 yards into that wind in that situation was AMAZING. Of course, our defense played the ensuing series holding their collective Johnson's, so it was for naught.

11. Shelton actually showed me something yesterday. It wasn't much, but it was a huge step up from the previous 4 weeks.

13. That challenge may have been for strategic purposes (I surmised the same thing at the time), but it doesn't make it less stupifying. Given the incompetence of NFL officials, it wouldn't have surprised me if they gave us the catch and it ended up 3rd and 15.  Not sure how that's better than 4th and 5.  It's not a confidence builder (to me anyway) that we need more than a few seconds to know exactly what we're going to do in that situation.

14.  If our receivers don't stop dropping easily catchable balls, I'm going to head for a clock tower.  I'm only half kidding.  Let's wonder why Drew doesn't ever get in a rhythem.

75175[/snapback]

2) He certainly is!!!!!!!!

6) The 2nd sack by Schobel was great! Are you kidding me? He has weaknesses, but he is lightening fast and athletic. Actually, I am thinking that Edwards was the difference. I cannot remember when any team had to worry about an inside rush from our DTs. If the inside pressure continues, I think that Kelsay and Schobel will have about between 15 and 20 sacks combined, AND increased overall pressure.

6) The 2nd sack by Schobel was great! Are you kidding me? He has weaknesses, but he is lightening fast and athletic.  Actually, I am thinking that Edwards was the difference. I cannot remember when any team had to worry about an inside rush from our DTs. If the inside pressure continues, I think that Kelsay and Schobel will have about between 15 and 20 sacks combined, AND increased overall pressure.

75198[/snapback]

I may not remember them in the right order, but I'm talking about the one that Fiedler fumbled. AS was UNTOUCHED. "Lightning fast & Athletic" have thus far added up to "run too far down the field and be easily rode out of the play by just a tackle". Hardly the DE we paid so much money to extend, methinks.

75175[/snapback]

I think one of things which saved us was that though the D was clearly unprepared for the great effort of Morris and did fall for going deeper when underneath passes with good RAC were how Miami gained any yard was that the D and the braintrust pulled off some great adjustment at halftime. Given the bad underpreparation and start do you really feel that the D continued down this road as you put it when they statististically far more effective in the second half?

I think one of things which saved us was that though the D was clearly unprepared for the great effort of Morris and did fall for going deeper when underneath passes with good RAC were how Miami gained any yard was that the D and the braintrust pulled off some great adjustment at halftime.  Given the bad underpreparation and start do you really feel that the D continued down this road as you put it when they statististically far more effective in the second half?

75224[/snapback]

I don't think the stats tell the real story. I've watched the Fish 3X this season before yesterday. In each game, the opposition makes minor adjustments at halftime and the Fins implode. Yesterday wasn't much different. They are 0-6 for a reason - and apparently we are 1-4 for similiar...

He has the patience of our former star without a doubt, and apparently the physical tools to make a D shudder as the game goes on-something Thurman lacked. He's got a long way to go in pass blocking but he's already ahead of the more experienced Henry. He's averaging over 7 yards per carry over the right side of our OLine, which is almost 4 yards a carry more than Travis. Did I mention he's a plus in the passing game over Henry because he doesn't automatically give up a sack if he's asked to pick up a risher? He hasn't shown any signs of horrible ball handling characteristics- like the kind that have made Travis one of the least reliable ball carriers in the league over the course of his career.

2. Travis is a douche bag. I just needed to say that. I really don't care if you disagree.

I'll sign on to "mentally frail".

Another box score showing a TE as our opponent's leading receiver. Hardly a coincidence and hardly insignificant.

He's doing what he's been asked to do while taking the naive public scorn for the worst WR corps int he league at dropping throws this season. A big plus on a team that could use three or four more.

I agree with Bill below- if the middle continues to get a little more push he gets to double digits in sacks quickly this year.

9. The holding penalty on Campbell was a terrible call. Taylor wasn't making that play no matter what, considering there were THREE players blocking him and Bledsoe was already running forward when NOTHING actually happened. Drew diving forward was a VERY smart play. Had no idea he was still capable of such endeavors.

What holding penalty? Haven't had a chance to review the film yet but on first look it was non-existent.

And yet old faithful Lindell still put the opening kick on the 5 yard line- with all that wind at his back.

All he has shown me all year is that he doesn't really like physical play. And he's in the worst spot for a player who doesn't like a dirty uniform, especially next week. Physical FBs can eliminate Ray Lewis from a game, Shelton will guarantee Lewis has a shot at their game ball.

2. Travis is a douche bag. I just needed to say that.  I really don't care if you disagree.

8. After watching the film today, Wanny may be found swinging from his shower rod tomorrow morning.  The second Schobel sack tells the whole story of his team.  Hey, guy on the left side of the formation:  STAND THERE and do NOTHING.  Thanks.  Could you come to my office and bring everything in your locker?  Alrighty.

9. The holding penalty on Campbell was a terrible call. Taylor wasn't making that play no matter what, considering there were THREE players blocking him and Bledsoe was already running forward when NOTHING actually happened.  Drew diving forward was a VERY smart play.  Had no idea he was still capable of such endeavors.

13. That challenge may have been for strategic purposes (I surmised the same thing at the time), but it doesn't make it less stupifying. Given the incompetence of NFL officials, it wouldn't have surprised me if they gave us the catch and it ended up 3rd and 15.  Not sure how that's better than 4th and 5.  It's not a confidence builder (to me anyway) that we need more than a few seconds to know exactly what we're going to do in that situation.

14.  If our receivers don't stop dropping easily catchable balls, I'm going to head for a clock tower.  I'm only half kidding.  Let's wonder why Drew doesn't ever get in a rhythem.

75175[/snapback]

Aaaaaaah, shaddup and send the damn email!!

It was painfully obvious to me that Fiedler wasn't completing a pass into the wind if it had to travel more than 15 yards from the LOS, yet we continued to allow their underneath receivers to faux block and then release to the flat for big gains.

I thought the staff enacted the right gameplan for the situation. Minimal blitzing (comparatively speaking) so as not to expose themselves to quick routes, lots of zone to keep the DB's facing the LOS, good contain from the Ends to keep Fiedler from making plays with his feet in nasty weather, etc. But the phins followed everybody else's gameplan of attacking our safeties and young TMcGee who has all the tools but none of the confidence to use them. I thought most of the problems in the first half simply were a result of the Bills putting on a clinic in how not to tackle.

The holding penalty on Campbell was a terrible call. Taylor wasn't making that play no matter what, considering there were THREE players blocking him

I'm not convinced that there wasn't a holding infraction after the replay cut off but before the completion of the play. Campbell has been a horrible pass protector since he arrived and I wouldn't be surprised if he had grabbed Taylor while he was trying to get upfield for what would have been about his 3rd career tackle of a QB in the 4th qrtr.

The pass play on 2nd and goal from the one was RIDICULOUS. Stop doing that stevestojan. NOW. I'm warning you, OC.

That one didn't bug me too much, although I would have preferred to see Willis get 3 cracks at it. The one that made me apoplectic was that freaking pitch when the game was in hand. Why on god's green earth would you even consider pitching the ball when a simple secure handoff ices it?! This is no time for this team to be tempting the fates.

He's doing what he's been asked to do while taking the naive public scorn for the worst WR corps int he league at dropping throws this season

I'm thinking the rapidly balding Holmgren would take issue with that claim to inferiority. That being said, the WR corps(e) has been a disappointment this year but it doesn't mean that Drew's subpar efforts vs Oakland, NYJ and the firsthalf of the phish game should escape scrutiny. He's been much better this year but he still falls into some bad habits, it would seem particularly on the road .

All he (Shelton)has shown me all year is that he doesn't really like physical play. And he's in the worst spot for a player who doesn't like a dirty uniform

You know I'm in full agreement with this and I still wasn't impressed with him yesterday. However he gets a pass from me (and I'm guessing from AD) because of what he did on what has been my favorite play so far in a dismal season. On McGahee's last run Zach Thomas tried to fill the 4 hole that BigMike and Vilarial had blown open and Shelton just absolutely destroyed him. Seeing Thomas blown up and crumpled like a quivering pile of goo while McGahee exacted stiff retribution on Edwards with an injurious stiffarm induced a catalysmic catalyst that resulted in an upsidedown coffee table and the liberal scattering of a score of empty aluminium vessels topped with a voluminous blue streak that cleared every critter for a pennsyltucky mile.

mahi mahi anyone?

On McGahee's last run Zach Thomas tried to fill the 4 hole that BigMike and Vilarial had blown open and Shelton just absolutely destroyed him. Seeing Thomas blown up and crumpled like a quivering pile of goo while McGahee exacted stiff retribution on Edwards with an injurious stiffarm induced a catalysmic catalyst that resulted in an upsidedown coffee table and the liberal scattering of a score of empty aluminium vessels topped with a voluminous blue streak that cleared every critter for a pennsyltucky mile.

mahi mahi anyone?

75595[/snapback]

Bravo!

Simon Posted Today, 11:00 PM

All he (Shelton)has shown me all year is that he doesn't really like physical play. And he's in the worst spot for a player who doesn't like a dirty uniform

You know I'm in full agreement with this and I still wasn't impressed with him yesterday. However he gets a pass from me (and I'm guessing from AD) because of what he did on what has been my favorite play so far in a dismal season. On McGahee's last run Zach Thomas tried to fill the 4 hole that BigMike and Vilarial had blown open and Shelton just absolutely destroyed him. Seeing Thomas blown up and crumpled like a quivering pile of goo while McGahee exacted stiff retribution on Edwards with an injurious stiffarm induced a catalysmic catalyst that resulted in an upsidedown coffee table and the liberal scattering of a score of empty aluminium vessels topped with a voluminous blue streak that cleared every critter for a pennsyltucky mile.

mahi mahi anyone?

I guess I am the only one here who thinks that Shelton has actually been a valuable asset to the team.

I know a lot fans here loved Sam Gash, so did I.

I must say though that Shelton has looked good in every game. He has been a good blocker, and he has caught every pass thrown to him this season.

Granted he's probably only caught 6 passes, but he has not dropped a single one of them. Which is one thing we can not say about Henry, Reed, Shaw(see ya), Neufeld, Campbell, Aiken(yesterday), Evans(his first drop yesterday), and even Moulds.

I give Shelton lots of credit, he is doing his part on the team.

I'll give Moulds a break, he is our #1 WR and is very important to us, Campbell has also improved his game as well, and Evans has been good from the start so one drop thus far is not that bad.