Scouts Inc. on the Bills "O"

H2o

I'm hopeful that Turk Schonert can get this group playing better. That doesn't mean I am completely certain or even expect that it is going to happen. My optimism is based solely on the belief that the Bills have some good offensive players and that those players, hopefully, come to work in 08 and their coaches have a better plan. Continuity is about all that's left to hang your hat on, but that is a double edged sword. Continuity would usher in optimistic feelings if the offense had shown steadily improved play over the course of 07. But, it did not. So, continuity could just mean more of the same decline and poor execution. And, I'm not so quick to suspend my disbelief and assume that the only problem in 07 was Steve Fairchild.

I would agree its not all Fairchild.

There is something seriously wrong with the run game.

It's not all the OL either. For as bad as the tewam looked running the ball, the OL did work together fairly well in pass protection. While the low sack total is a bogus measuring tool, what was missing in 2007 were the constant jailbreaks from prior years. To me, this indicates the OL had some ability to work together and communicate.

But if they could do this for the more complicated pass protection, why couldn't they do it for run blocking.

My guess is something else is seriously wrong.

- Part of it might have been not understanding what McNally was trying to do - was it zone blocking, was is drive blocking, did anybody, including the OL, know what they were doing?

- Another potentially bigger concern is that the run game problems lie with our highly touted RB. Although he was a warrior and fought for the tough yards, were those yards so tough because he missed the designed hole?

I got the impression that the OL was getting frustrated that Lynch was not where he was supposed to be. It seemed there were plays where during the play, a OL would siimply disengage, standup and seem to be looking around to see where Lynch was. Maybe I am imagining this, but something unexplained is going on with the run game - and it is much more serious than Fairchild callled a lot of bad plays.

Is Fred Jackson a better RB to have a muchg yard per carry than Lynch?

If Lynch was unable to fully grasp the running game, it may be a big reason why they did not trust him at all in the passing game.

Simply replacing Fairchild won't solve this problem by itself.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree its not all Fairchild.

There is something seriously wrong with the run game.

It's not all the OL either. For as bad as the tewam looked running the ball, the OL did work together fairly well in pass protection. While the low sack total is a bogus measuring tool, what was missing in 2007 were the constant jailbreaks from prior years. To me, this indicates the OL had some ability to work together and communicate.

But if they could do this for the more complicated pass protection, why couldn't they do it for run blocking.

My guess is something else is seriously wrong.

- Part of it might have been not understanding what McNally was trying to do - was it zone blocking, was is drive blocking, did anybody, including the OL, know what they were doing?

- Another potentially bigger concern is that the run game problems lie with our highly touted RB. Although he was a warrior and fought for the tough yards, were those yards so tough because he missed the designed hole?

I got the impression that the OL was getting frustrated that Lynch was not where he was supposed to be. It seemed there were plays where during the play, a OL would siimply disengage, standup and seem to be looking around to see where Lynch was. Maybe I am imagining this, but something unexplained is going on with the run game - and it is much more serious than Fairchild callled a lot of bad plays.

Is Fred Jackson a better RB to have a muchg yard per carry than Lynch?

If Lynch was unable to fully grasp the running game, it may be a big reason why they did not trust him at all in the passing game.

Simply replacing Fairchild won't solve this problem by itself.

The something seriously wrong with the running game comes down to one simple fact: defensive fronts ROUTINELY outnumbered us at the POA with 8 or 9 in the box. You can't zone block that. You can't man block that. Period. We were simply outnumbered by more guys to block than there were to block them. What did that do? Well, it took away any reasonable running room for one and two, if the D read pass, it's an easy front to blitz from. Did we or did we not see that over and over and over again last season?

Why? Simple. Lack of ANY viable receiving option other than Evans who was EASILY taken away with numerous double teams, etc. Ds DARED us to beat the single coverage on Reed, Roscoe, or Royal (who was also basically taken away as a receiver because he had to block against those crowded fronts far to often). Consequence? Nobody to spread the defense and MAKE them loosen up.

The few times we DID use spread formations we were a GREAT running team. Problem was we couldn't use them often enough because it makes an offense very vulnerable at the edges and, again, our other receivers just couldn't get beat single coverage often enough. And it's asking a lot of your QB as well.

If our Oline is to have ANY chance we will have to force defenses to spread out. The question is can we hurt them often enough in both pass and run to make it work consistently. I won't be convinced until I see a viable #2 WR that can take pressure off Evans, a TE that can command respect in the middle of the field, and a QB who can recognize what a defense gives you in that formation. If we WERE to be successful with a spread formation you'd see Reed flourish as a slot receiver like he did with Moulds, Price, and Bledsoe. You'd see Roscoe play in the slot more as well. Neither is a wideout. Especially Parrish.

I think your point about Lynch is a good one. He was often undisciplined in selecting holes (but flourished in a spread formation) and I too wonder if that undisciplined style didn't worry coaches about using him more as a receiver where being disciplined is even more important. We'll see.

GO BILLS!!!

The something seriously wrong with the running game comes down to one simple fact: defensive fronts ROUTINELY outnumbered us at the POA with 8 or 9 in the box. You can't zone block that. You can't man block that. Period. We were simply outnumbered by more guys to block than there were to block them. What did that do? Well, it took away any reasonable running room for one and two, if the D read pass, it's an easy front to blitz from. Did we or did we not see that over and over and over again last season?

Why? Simple. Lack of ANY viable receiving option other than Evans who was EASILY taken away with numerous double teams, etc. Ds DARED us to beat the single coverage on Reed, Roscoe, or Royal (who was also basically taken away as a receiver because he had to block against those crowded fronts far to often). Consequence? Nobody to spread the defense and MAKE them loosen up.

The few times we DID use spread formations we were a GREAT running team. Problem was we couldn't use them often enough because it makes an offense very vulnerable at the edges and, again, our other receivers just couldn't get beat single coverage often enough. And it's asking a lot of your QB as well.

If our Oline is to have ANY chance we will have to force defenses to spread out. The question is can we hurt them often enough in both pass and run to make it work consistently. I won't be convinced until I see a viable #2 WR that can take pressure off Evans, a TE that can command respect in the middle of the field, and a QB who can recognize what a defense gives you in that formation. If we WERE to be successful with a spread formation you'd see Reed flourish as a slot receiver like he did with Moulds, Price, and Bledsoe. You'd see Roscoe play in the slot more as well. Neither is a wideout. Especially Parrish.

I think your point about Lynch is a good one. He was often undisciplined in selecting holes (but flourished in a spread formation) and I too wonder if that undisciplined style didn't worry coaches about using him more as a receiver where being disciplined is even more important. We'll see.

GO BILLS!!!

The thing I question is how does Lynch generate 4 YPC and Jackson 5.2 YPC with 8 or 9 guys in the box all the time.

Those averages are not bad.

Run 3 times and get a 1st down.

The thing I question is how does Lynch generate 4 YPC and Jackson 5.2 YPC with 8 or 9 guys in the box all the time.

Those averages are not bad.

Run 3 times and get a 1st down.

I hear what you're saying but the averages are misleading. As I've mentioned, we had good success running from spread formations and many of their best runs were made against looser defensive fronts. Also, I think Jackson is more disciplined a runner and more fluid. He's certainly faster. I think Lynch is quicker, more powerful, and faster to the hole WHEN he makes up his mind to go there and not try to string it outside.

Run 3 times and get a 1st down sounds great. And we'd win many more games than lose if we could do that. And Jauron would love it. But the fans would revolt against the Woody Hayes offense.

GO BILLS!!!

I hear what you're saying but the averages are misleading. As I've mentioned, we had good success running from spread formations and many of their best runs were made against looser defensive fronts. Also, I think Jackson is more disciplined a runner and more fluid. He's certainly faster. I think Lynch is quicker, more powerful, and faster to the hole WHEN he makes up his mind to go there and not try to string it outside.

Run 3 times and get a 1st down sounds great. And we'd win many more games than lose if we could do that. And Jauron would love it. But the fans would revolt against the Woody Hayes offense.

GO BILLS!!!

Revolt? How would they do that? Call WGR55 more? Not that Jauron would want that type of offense anyways

If you've been a head coach in the NFL for 7 years and STILL do not know anything about offense then you are NOT cut out to be an NFL head coach. You should go back to being a defensive coordinator. One of the jobs of being a head coach is to make CHANGES when things are clearly not working whether it's special teams, defense or OFFENSE. He was either grossly negligent in his duties last year, he was on board with what Fairchild was doing and/or had a hand in the pathetically predictable offense. None of these three scenarios are good if you're a Bills fan. Do you really support a head coach who just shrugs his shoulders and says, "Hey, I don't know anything about offense. What do you want me to do?". This guy is a moron if he STILL doesn't know anything about offense and how to best use his offensive players on Sunday. I can not believe the pass this guy gets with the press and the fans. It's unbelievable.
He does not know anything about offense - that's your excuse for Jauron??!!

Jauron is the HC.

He does not live in a cave.

He is an Ivy league grad for pete's sake.

He can handle understanding a few things about how an offense runs - especially since he defensed them all of his life.

If teh team does not have audibles and are consistently getting stuffed, especially on 3rd down - then he is at fault for not mandating that teh OC institute an audible system, as simple as it may need to be.

There is no excuse for incompetence due to stupidity on his watch.

For anyone, ANYONE to assert that HCs that were DCs don't know anything about offense is absolutely the most ludicrous bunch of BS I've ever read in this forum. And that's saying something! It's ignorance bordering on complete stupidity. And if that offends anyone who might have that feeling so be it. Belichik NOT KNOW OFFENSE? Jauron not know offense? After spending entire careers devising schemes to defend them? Very successful schemes? Hell, it could be argued that they know MORE about a given offense because they are so adept at exploiting the vulnerabilities in that offense.

GO BILLS!!!

On the poker table, I've become adept at beating players who play a super-aggressive style. That doesn't mean I know how to play a super-aggressive style, and it certainly doesn't mean I should be telling super-aggressive players how to play. The same holds true with a defensive head coach: the fact that they've spent time foiling offensive coaches hardly means they are offensive coaches.

Tony Dungy, Bill Belichick and Wade Phillips went a combined 42-6 in the regular season last year. These are defensive coaches who, to the best of my knowledge, know very little about the offensive side of the ball. I have no reason to believe Bill Belichick would be able to correct the missteps of an inept offensive coordinator. If he can, why didn't he do so in Cleveland? Why didn't Phillips take over the offense in Buffalo? Why was Dungy's offense so bad in Tampa Bay, year after year?

Because they know very little about coaching offense.

Give Dick Jauron Tom Moore and Peyton Manning, and you've got a good offense. Give him Steve Fairchild and a quarterback controversy, and you've got the travesty we saw last year.

On the poker table, I've become adept at beating players who play a super-aggressive style. That doesn't mean I know how to play a super-aggressive style, and it certainly doesn't mean I should be telling super-aggressive players how to play. The same holds true with a defensive head coach: the fact that they've spent time foiling offensive coaches hardly means they are offensive coaches.

Tony Dungy, Bill Belichick and Wade Phillips went a combined 42-6 in the regular season last year. These are defensive coaches who, to the best of my knowledge, know very little about the offensive side of the ball. I have no reason to believe Bill Belichick would be able to correct the missteps of an inept offensive coordinator. If he can, why didn't he do so in Cleveland? Why didn't Phillips take over the offense in Buffalo? Why was Dungy's offense so bad in Tampa Bay, year after year?

Because they know very little about coaching offense.

Give Dick Jauron Tom Moore and Peyton Manning, and you've got a good offense. Give him Steve Fairchild and a quarterback controversy, and you've got the travesty we saw last year.

Oh, is that what we're arguing, whether or not they can COACH offenses? I thought the assertion was that they didn't know offensive play. Big difference. That said, they know more about coaching offenses, defenses, special teams, and individual position techniques across the board THAN ANY POSTER ON THIS BOARD!

Carry on.

GO BILLS!!!

But what does this have to do with Dick Jauron? Where is his fault, other than hiring Fairchild? If Belihick committed an error in hiring an inept offensive coordinator as Jauron did, he wouldn't have any answers mid-season either. Because they don't know anything about offense.

Everything you've listed is on Fairchild, not on Jauron. DJ gets some blame spilled over, no doubt, for his part in Fairchild's hiring...but the particulars that caused the offense to be so ineffective can't be put on him, unless you can somehow prove Jauron isn't as laissez-faire with his offense as we believe.

On the question of whether Jauron being a D minded coach does he know offense.

I think the simple answer is yes.

If Jauron had no clue how an offense works then he would simply suck as a defensive coach.

In order to be a good DC, one has to have a clear idea of what opposing offenses are trying to do and construct snd implement Ds which can stop.

The problem which I think folks really are trying to get at is whether a defensive minded HC has the chops to pick OCs who can coach the game and implement a working O. I have little doubt that Jauron understands Os, their strengths and their weaknesses a D he designs can exploit.

What very good and even great D coaches like Greg Williams have lacked in being an HC and having an OC who ran an effective unit is that GW seemed to lack the ability to:

1. First, choose and OC who could design an effective O and who could make good play selections and calls during the game. He ended up choosing Kragthorpe as he chose assistants who did not have the chops to replace him as HC if thet were successful and Kragthorpe proved to be so unsuccessful GW had to at least allow him to be canned with time on his contract (IMHO likely a move engineered by TD to weaken his HC so that the HC could not run him out of town like Cowher did but who knows on the outside really).

2. Second, he did get/choose an experienced OC in Kevin Killdrive but Killdrive was so damaged by his last failures as an HC he was in no position to threaten anyone above him. Incredibly poorly, GW seem to allow Killdrive's initial success to stop him from forcing Killdrive to change his playcalling and method of operation when Killdrive became incredibly predictable during the latter part of his time in Buffalo.

A good HC IMHO opinion is able to pick co-ordinators who can:

1. Design an offense (or defense) and run it flexibly so that it puts the players in a good position to win.

2. Oversee the position coaches and the training so individual players improve their game.

3. Be devoted to the team first and after being successful with the team then worries about cashing in and getting a higher position with another team,

Jauron unfortunately has not yet show the ability to pick a OC who can fulfill these tasks. I hope he can with Schonert.

But something doesn't add up. If there are 9 defenders in the box and Evans is double covered, that means that Reed was completely uncovered. Even if it was 8 in the box and Evans was double covered and Reed was single covered, then the offense is actually just running against a conventional defense. (There is nothing magical about "8 in the box," other than a S is playing up on the 2nd level -- 4 DL, 3 LBs, and the SS up playing the run.)

This is the NFL. Ralph dropped big bags of bucks on some of these OL. Is it that they can't block or is it that Lynch can't find the holes? Or, is it that the Bills TEs and H-backs suck? Having an H-back that can't block and a TE that can't block is a serious problem; it means the RB has to beat 3 defenders instead of 1.

Oh, is that what we're arguing, whether or not they can COACH offenses? I thought the assertion was that they didn't know offensive play. Big difference. That said, they know more about coaching offenses, defenses, special teams, and individual position techniques across the board THAN ANY POSTER ON THIS BOARD!

Carry on.

GO BILLS!!!

But thats hardly the point. The point is whether or not we can expect these coaches to correct the poor performance that results when they're saddled with inept offensive coordinators...not whether or not they know more than you or I.

Jauron shouldn't be blamed for anything the offense did last year, unless its by virtue of his error in hiring Fairchild.

But thats hardly the point. The point is whether or not we can expect these coaches to correct the poor performance that results when they're saddled with inept offensive coordinators...not whether or not they know more than you or I.

Jauron shouldn't be blamed for anything the offense did last year, unless its by virtue of his error in hiring Fairchild.

Come on. Every head coach has influence on the offense particularly in red zone and goal line situations, 4th downs and in other critical situations. Add to that the game plan each week. While he may not devise the game plan, he would certainly review it with the OC and make changes or put his stamp of approval on it.

Despite not being an offensive-minded coach, Jauron's responsibility as HC does not begin and end with defense. He bears responsibility for the entire team, and simply abdicating responsibility for the offense to an inept Fairchild is unacceptable.

Jauron's had immense personnel control since his hiring. If the team cannot score points, he bears even more responsibility than most HC's in the league. Just blaming Fairchild for the offensive woes is short-sighted and absurd.

Despite not being an offensive-minded coach, Jauron's responsibility as HC does not begin and end with defense. He bears responsibility for the entire team, and simply abdicating responsibility for the offense to an inept Fairchild is unacceptable.

Jauron's had immense personnel control since his hiring. If the team cannot score points, he bears even more responsibility than most HC's in the league. Just blaming Fairchild for the offensive woes is short-sighted and absurd.

I imagine the majority of Jauron's stroke in the personnel department is based on the idea that he knows best what kind of players will fit his system on the defensive side of the ball. I doubt, for example, that he chose James Hardy instead of Limas Sweed, or that it was his idea to sign Langston Walker. If you disagree, I'd love to know what you're basing that on.

The head coach is responsible for certain aspects of both sides of the ball; primarily the amount of effort players show, and the amount of penalties they get flagged down for. But a screen pass in a blizzard on the deciding play of the season's deciding game, playcalling so predictable fans and commentators alike can call the play before the snap, and a complete fear of throwing the ball in the red zone...I don't see Jauron being responsible. The offense was mostly Fairchild's show.

Tony Dungy is a defensive head coach who was given too much blame for poor offense, and I think most agree in hindsight that his firing was a mistake. If you have a guy who keeps the defense playing well, who most of the team plays hard for, and who limits penalties, you're in business if you can find the right offensive coordinator.

So if the effort stays at a high level this year and the penalties stay at a low one, and the defense takes a step up, you can expect to see Jauron on the sidelines again next year, even if the offense spinning it's tires in the mud results in a .500 record. Bank on that.

I imagine the majority of Jauron's stroke in the personnel department is based on the idea that he knows best what kind of players will fit his system on the defensive side of the ball. I doubt, for example, that he chose James Hardy instead of Limas Sweed, or that it was his idea to sign Langston Walker. If you disagree, I'd love to know what you're basing that on.

The head coach is responsible for certain aspects of both sides of the ball; primarily the amount of effort players show, and the amount of penalties they get flagged down for. But a screen pass in a blizzard on the deciding play of the season's deciding game, playcalling so predictable fans and commentators alike can call the play before the snap, and a complete fear of throwing the ball in the red zone...I don't see Jauron being responsible. The offense was mostly Fairchild's show.

Tony Dungy is a defensive head coach who was given too much blame for poor offense, and I think most agree in hindsight that his firing was a mistake. If you have a guy who keeps the defense playing well, who most of the team plays hard for, and who limits penalties, you're in business if you can find the right offensive coordinator.

So if the effort stays at a high level this year and the penalties stay at a low one, and the defense takes a step up, you can expect to see Jauron on the sidelines again next year, even if the offense spinning it's tires in the mud results in a .500 record. Bank on that.

Then WTF is he a head coach for if he's not responsible for the offense too? This is too much. I can't believe the absolution of Jauron's lack of head coaching abilities around here. When you're a head coach you're responsible for the ENTIRE team's performance!

I can't bank on anything in this post.

Jauron is responsible for the offense and the entire team as another poster mentioned. Particularly the offense since he hired Turk and hired Turk without interviewing another candidate. If I were Brandon and my head coach did that after the team was so poor the year before, I'd simply look him in the eye and say: "the guy (Turk) better be good".

The main reason Jauron and Jerry Angelo didn't get along in Chicago was because DJ wanted personnel control, to which Angelo said screw you. When DJ didn't produce in 02 and 03, he was gone, and Angelo assumed personnel duties, as would any normal GM.

It's reasonable to believe he's got that control in Buffalo, especially given that neither Marv nor Russ Brandon are classic personnel types in the front office.

Your argument here that DJ doesn't have overall responsibility is ridiculous, and it's worth noting that many of the picks on this team would naturally fit with what DJ wants. The whole 2006 draft had Jauron's stamp of approval all over it. If you think Levy did anything but take his Metamucil on draft day, you're fooling yourself.

Then WTF is he a head coach for if he's not responsible for the offense too? This is too much. I can't believe the absolution of Jauron's lack of head coaching abilities around here. When you're a head coach you're responsible for the ENTIRE team's performance!

I think a key problem is that people don't really understand what the head coach actually does. The head coach does not get to work with each unit, nor should they try. Their role is to keep everyone on the same page, and to get the most production possible out of what they have. Unlike in other sports, a head football coach is much like a CEO. This is due to the fact that you just have too many players to work individually with. Yes, they are responsible and accountable for the production of each unit. Unfortunately, that analogy is also why so many of them burn out so quickly, trying to do way too much.

I think a key problem is that people don't really understand what the head coach actually does. The head coach does not get to work with each unit, nor should they try. Their role is to keep everyone on the same page, and to get the most production possible out of what they have. Unlike in other sports, a head football coach is much like a CEO. This is due to the fact that you just have too many players to work individually with. Yes, they are responsible and accountable for the production of each unit. Unfortunately, that analogy is also why so many of them burn out so quickly, trying to do way too much.

Dunno - I expect a big boss getting over a million bucks a year to find the way to deal with and direct the actions of 53 employees...

Dunno - I expect a big boss getting over a million bucks a year to find the way to deal with and direct the actions of 53 employees...

If he could, then there would be no need for coordinators and assistants. There is some individual interaction, but the head coach needs to not overstep the coordinators and the coordinators need to not overstep the position coaches, otherwise you get into micromanagement- and that leads to a dysfunctional team

The main reason Jauron and Jerry Angelo didn't get along in Chicago was because DJ wanted personnel control, to which Angelo said screw you. When DJ didn't produce in 02 and 03, he was gone, and Angelo assumed personnel duties, as would any normal GM.

It was less a matter of DJ "not producing" than it was a ton of injuries in 2002, not to mention having to play "home" games an hour away in Champlain, Ill, and then Angelo giving away some of DJ's best defensive players (and the team was successful in 2001 mostly because of their defense) prior to the 2003 season, without making any additions to the team.