Scouts Inc. on the Bills "O"

H2o

Have the Buffalo Bills adapted to their new West Coast offense?

This system, installed by new offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, should be beneficial for QB Trent Edwards, who needs to get his completion percentage above the 60 percent mark. Yes, he finished at 56.1 percent last year, but was also guilty of having games in the 30 percent range. Edwards lacks big-time arm strength, but he is a cerebral quarterback who makes good and quick decisions. This is a system that really benefits the Bills' personnel, from Edwards to WR Lee Evans, who can make plays with the ball in his hands, to rookie WR James Hardy, who is a big target and can work the middle of the field, to RB Marshawn Lynch, who will see more seven-man fronts from three-receiver sets. Along with a maturing defense, the ability for Edwards to run this new system will go a long way toward determining the Bills' playoff hopes.

I guess this pretty much holds all of our sentiments. Maybe Trent will turn into a reincarnated version of Joe Montana in the West Coast offense. They said the same thing about his arm strength, but he was probably the smartest QB to ever step on the field. Those old enough around here saw Montana and the 49ers own the NFL in the 80's. Now if Trent could just have the "ice water" flowing through his veins like Montana did in critical game situations.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This system, installed by new offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, should be beneficial for QB Trent Edwards, who needs to get his completion percentage above the 60 percent mark. Yes, he finished at 56.1 percent last year, but was also guilty of having games in the 30 percent range. Edwards lacks big-time arm strength, but he is a cerebral quarterback who makes good and quick decisions. This is a system that really benefits the Bills' personnel, from Edwards to WR Lee Evans, who can make plays with the ball in his hands, to rookie WR James Hardy, who is a big target and can work the middle of the field, to RB Marshawn Lynch, who will see more seven-man fronts from three-receiver sets. Along with a maturing defense, the ability for Edwards to run this new system will go a long way toward determining the Bills' playoff hopes.

I guess this pretty much holds all of our sentiments. Maybe Trent will turn into a reincarnated version of Joe Montana in the West Coast offense. They said the same thing about his arm strength, but he was probably the smartest QB to ever step on the field. Those old enough around here saw Montana and the 49ers own the NFL in the 80's. Now if Trent could just have the "ice water" flowing through his veins like Montana did in critical game situations.

The west coast offense invokes using the pass to set up the running game which is about a 180 degrees difference from the run run pass punt offense that Jauron seems to be so mesmerized with. I would definitely like to see more passing in '08. I'd also like to see Marshawn play a big part in the passing game. The guy's got great ball catching skills. He's not that bad at tossing the rock either, 1 pass 1 touchdown. Did they ever go back to that play? Of course not. It was the one and only out of the box play in '07.

I wouldn't get your hopes up as long as Jauron is calling the shots.

i just hope hes able to throw when the ice water is falling from the sky. and that hell never again throw an INT in the closing seconds that lead to a FG with time running out. but other than that im pretty optimistic that the O will be much improved over last year.

It should be noted that Jeremy Green wrote this article for ESPN, and his opinion is practically worthless.

The real question on offense is whether or not DJ will let his hand-picked (and only interviewee) OC run an offense that scores some points. In two seasons, the DJ's Bills averaged 17 points per game, which as we've seen will not be enough to win.

I'm not convinced DJ will allow Schonert to be aggressive, but will revert to his style of the last two seasons that takes less chances and offers little reward.

The west coast offense invokes using the pass to set up the running game which is about a 180 degrees difference from the run run pass punt offense that Jauron seems to be so mesmerized with. I would definitely like to see more passing in '08. I'd also like to see Marshawn play a big part in the passing game. The guy's got great ball catching skills. He's not that bad at tossing the rock either, 1 pass 1 touchdown. Did they ever go back to that play? Of course not. It was the one and only out of the box play in '07.

So, you want a trick play run once a week? That's what a halfback option is designed to be and it doesn't become a trick play if you use it frequently.

It should be noted that Jeremy Green wrote this article for ESPN, and his opinion is practically worthless.

The real question on offense is whether or not DJ will let his hand-picked (and only interviewee) OC run an offense that scores some points. In two seasons, the DJ's Bills averaged 17 points per game, which as we've seen will not be enough to win.

I'm not convinced DJ will allow Schonert to be aggressive, but will revert to his style of the last two seasons that takes less chances and offers little reward.

God knows, I hope that's not the case. If we don't spread the field and pass the ball more our offense will be just as stagnant as last season's. Then Lynch will still be facing 8 man fronts all of the time, Edwards won't really be given the opportunity to develope as a QB, and our WR's will seem useless and ineffective again. We'll struggle to fight for mediocrity in the AFC with a 7-9 to 9-7 record and no playoffs at the end of that tunnel. It's depressing to even think that way :D

Aren't most of "their" opinions?

Some people here think that they actually know more about football than many posters. They're writers that get paid to interject their opinions. They cover all 32 teams and are probably wrong much more than the people that actually follow a single team or a division. They can't possibly be up on what's going on with every team in the kind of detail that makes their opinions more credible than anyone else's.

At the end of the season is the time to go back and evaluate them, not before it. I just love it when some stooge cites what some clown says and then uses it to say, "see you naysayers..." as if it's already happened.

Hell, we should have made the playoffs three or four times already this decade if these turds are to be believed.

I would also bet that they say that about more than the 12 teams that can actually make the playoffs too. It would be one thing for them to pick their 6 PO teams from each division, but to simply say that all the teams that finished around .500 last year have a shot, boy, really stepping out there. LOL

God knows, I hope that's not the case. If we don't spread the field and pass the ball more our offense will be just as stagnant as last season's. Then Lynch will still be facing 8 man fronts all of the time, Edwards won't really be given the opportunity to develope as a QB, and our WR's will seem useless and ineffective again. We'll struggle to fight for mediocrity in the AFC with a 7-9 to 9-7 record and no playoffs at the end of that tunnel. It's depressing to even think that way :D

More than that, Schonert has never even been a coordinator. The WCO isn't exactly simple to implement. IMO it's too much for him at this point considering that Jauron is the head coach. Who else is Schonert going to draw upon for help which he will need.

As to Edwards facing 8-man fronts, I don't think it will be 8, but he will be facing 6 and 7 man fronts frequently from the beginning of the season.

To run a WCO you need a line that can block better than ours can. Unfortunately our line is built only for the simplest of offensive schemes. I can't think of one G we have that we've seen pull on a regular basis either and do it well. Dockery probably can but I'm not sure I'd bet on anyone else being able to well.

The original plan of using a FB, which isn't a WCO trait, seems to be the best. Use the best all-around TE frequently and frequent 3 WR sets when the FB ain't in there. That's what we're built for and honestly, we're not going to be great at that either.

The D is going to have to carry the team into the playoffs if that even happens.

I have this feeling that Edwards is going to get his clock cleaned this year. He's gonna see pressure that he just didn't see last year and IMO he's not gonna have a clue how to handle it.

can someone cite something that actually supports that the Bills will be converting to a WCO.

I think this is a fallacy.

Bills wil run what they ran last year - which had a focus on quick releases.

not necesarily a WCO.

So, you want a trick play run once a week? That's what a halfback option is designed to be and it doesn't become a trick play if you use it frequently.

Just so you know, "back to that play" does not equate to "running it once a week". It worked like a charm and should have been run a couple, if not three more times during the season. If you disagree, that's fine with me. There are a lot of posters here that are wrong on many issues.

We should be using ALL of Marshawn Lynch's skills...running, catching AND passing. The guy's a freak who has the unfortunate circumstance of being saddled with an ultraconservative unchanging loser of a head coach.

More than that, Schonert has never even been a coordinator. The WCO isn't exactly simple to implement. IMO it's too much for him at this point considering that Jauron is the head coach. Who else is Schonert going to draw upon for help which he will need.

As to Edwards facing 8-man fronts, I don't think it will be 8, but he will be facing 6 and 7 man fronts frequently from the beginning of the season.

To run a WCO you need a line that can block better than ours can. Unfortunately our line is built only for the simplest of offensive schemes. I can't think of one G we have that we've seen pull on a regular basis either and do it well. Dockery probably can but I'm not sure I'd bet on anyone else being able to well.

The original plan of using a FB, which isn't a WCO trait, seems to be the best. Use the best all-around TE frequently and frequent 3 WR sets when the FB ain't in there. That's what we're built for and honestly, we're not going to be great at that either.

The D is going to have to carry the team into the playoffs if that even happens.

I have this feeling that Edwards is going to get his clock cleaned this year. He's gonna see pressure that he just didn't see last year and IMO he's not gonna have a clue how to handle it.

1.) So, 6 and 7 man fronts are something new? Clue: EVERY base defense in the league presents a 6 or 7 man front. Teams will routinely stack the LOS with 8 or 9 to stop the run, man-over Evans, and DARE us to beat them one-on-one with anyone else. Just like last year. Look for more of the same until we can PROVE we can hurt teams with either another WR or TE. Until then it's stack the LOS, take away RUNNING lanes, outnumber blockers at the POA, and blitz like crazy. Again, just like last year. Edwards and the O would LOVE to see 6 or 7 man fronts. Won't happen unless we spread the formations.

2) Every player on the Bills OL can move VERY well in space. When we ran out of single back spread formations last year we were VERY successful BECAUSE they can all move well in space. ESPECIALLY to the right (Butler's and Walker's side). It would be nice to spread the field more to LET them enjoy more space. But that's more simple said than done for a lot of reasons. The least of which have to do with whether or not the Oline can work from spread formations.

3.) The FB isn't a trait in the WCO? That's just plain wrong. See 49ers, FBs during Walsh years (Earl Cooper, Roger Craig just to name two) and tell me if the man widely considered to be the architect of the WCO didn't utilize the FB. Especially one that could catch.

4.) You're right about the defense. That's gonna HAVE to carry us. No doubt.

5.) I have the same feeling Edwards will see lots of pressure. Just like every young QB does UNTIL he shows he can beat it. That will require legitimate receiving threats other than Evans who can exploit the single coverage Evans allows. Especially those that can read a defense and adjust.

GO BILLS!!!

Such optomistic people on this board :thumbsup:

Just so you know, "back to that play" does not equate to "running it once a week". It worked like a charm and should have been run a couple, if not three more times during the season. If you disagree, that's fine with me. There are a lot of posters here that are wrong on many issues.

We should be using ALL of Marshawn Lynch's skills...running, catching AND passing. The guy's a freak who has the unfortunate circumstance of being saddled with an ultraconservative unchanging loser of a head coach.

I understand what you are saying, but I am just not into using trick plays. Save them for when you need them. Anyhoo, I prefer Trent throwing the ball, not Marshawn. It is a low percentage play

After that 70 yeard bomb to Evans in the Miami game, I am not sure how people can keep talking about Edward's lack of arm strength.

Because the ball was only in the air for 50 yards of it. His arm is not weak by any means, but it's also not as strong as Palmer, Manning, Roethlisberger, or Favre either.

After that 70 yeard bomb to Evans in the Miami game, I am not sure how people can keep talking about Edward's lack of arm strength.

Sorry, but that pass had very little zip to it. It was heaved into the air and looked more like a punt than a pass. If we were playing anyone but the Dolphins it would have been defended. Edwards simply doesn't have very good arm strength when it comes to the deep passes. He excels at the short to medium range passing game and does have an excellent quick release, but you can't start telling us he has very good arm strength because of that deep lollipop pass against the fins. Arm strength is there when the ball is thrown deep with some zip to it.