Grocery shopping not fun anymore

HelloNewman

I used to enjoy going to the grocery store for the weekly shopping....yes I am a domesticated male...product of a divorced family so I had to learn to "pitch in".

Anyway, I cannot believe how much inflation has turned my ice-cream, bread and cereal into bird-size portions. Ice cream used to be a half gallon, then it went to 1.75 qt and now it is 1.5 quarts and the price has gone up to top it off. The same bread I bought at Wegmans for all this time for 99 cents is now about 2/3 of it s original size and my cereal has shrunken by about 1/3. I cannot believe how much I am getting screwed....what's next hot dogs the size of cocktail weiners? Pizzas the size of quarters? I cannot stand being nickel and dimed to death by grocery stores, airlines, restaurants, when will it end? *sigh* :devil:

Amen.

I'll 2nd that. I moved from South FL to Charlotte. Now I have a "Harris Teeter" where I shop. It's similar to Wegman's in that it's clean and has everything. However, the prices are crazy and I'm talking Albertson's crazy. I get angry every time I'm there when I look at the prices. I use it mostly as a convenience store and actually buy most of my stuff at (wait for it) Target.

The OPs problems are well understood. The same thing happened to coffee 15 years ago (try to find a 3 pound can these days). Just understand that inflation is a (huge) reality. Thumb through the ads and find those bargains. They're out there (even at Harris Teeter).

Danny... please come to Charlotte! :devil:

I'll 2nd that. I moved from South FL to Charlotte. Now I have a "Harris Teeter" where I shop. It's similar to Wegman's in that it's clean and has everything. However, the prices are crazy and I'm talking Albertson's crazy. I get angry every time I'm there when I look at the prices. I use it mostly as a convenience store and actually buy most of my stuff at (wait for it) Target.

The OPs problems are well understood. The same thing happened to coffee 15 years ago (try to find a 3 pound can these days). Just understand that inflation is a (huge) reality. Thumb through the ads and find those bargains. They're out there (even at Harris Teeter).

I'm hoping Danny will bring his chain to NE Ohio. We had Tops here, but they sold most of their stores to Giant Eagle and got out of Ohio, and now GE doesn't have major competition. They do have a Fuel Perks program which gives you between 10-20 cents off per gallon of gas for each $50 you spend in store, but their prices have spiraled out of control.

Every time my parents or siblings come to visit they know they have to stop at Wegmans and pick up some stuff for us in exchange for "room & board."

I think most companies think people are too dumb to notice what they are doing and supermarkets ought to be telling customers that vendors reduced sizes. I also heard from those who I worked with at Census department that government is not even adjusting inflation for size decrease for political capital in keepimg down cost of living increases.

Absolutely so. I generally shop at Meijers'.

Their in-store coupons and specials, as well as the newspaper coupons add up.

My shopping there for the month of June was $312.76 - 63.68 in coupons and specials = $249.08 net. A little over 20% off.

There are some items that I purchase at Wal-Mart because of better prices. I seldom buy from Kroegers's or Marsh's - they have those annoying (to me) "card" programs, so overall, their prices are higher. But they provide competion, which helps. There is also a nearby store called "Jungle Jims - a unique place. It's a tour bus destination.

http://www.junglejims.com/index.asp

Tip: If a Sunday papers' coupon inserts have some that are particularly valuable to you, buy an extra paper or two.

Tip: "Buy one, get one free" does not mean half-price for just one.

Iwas in the Charlotte / Cornelius area this weekend and took my daughter shopping at Harris Teeter.

Holy Cow...The prices were out of sight. Now I know why they generally go to Food Lion.

And It would be worth the price of gas to go to the WalMart a couple miles north of Cornelius.

Yeah, the shrinkage issue at the grocery store sucks....Just wait until beer cans are 10 ounces, not 12...

Iwas in the Charlotte / Cornelius area this weekend and took my daughter shopping at Harris Teeter.

Holy Cow...The prices were out of sight. Now I know why they generally go to Food Lion.

And It would be worth the price of gas to go to the WalMart a couple miles north of Cornelius.

Yeah, the shrinkage issue at the grocery store sucks....Just wait until beer cans are 10 ounces, not 12...

There will be rioting in the streets

Price increases can be attributed in some respects to the rising price in fuel costs. It takes fuel to plant, harvest, process, and ship said item. Companies are doing whatever they can to hold their margins stable in order to keep the stockholders pacified.

Did see a report on tv (forgot where) where studies are now showing that the quick change to agri-fuel has greatly impacted food costs. This is due to farmers not keeping the food supply planting at the same amount and then growing additional crops for fuel.

Price increases can be attributed in some respects to the rising price in fuel costs. It takes fuel to plant, harvest, process, and ship said item. Companies are doing whatever they can to hold their margins stable in order to keep the stockholders pacified.

Did see a report on tv (forgot where) where studies are now showing that the quick change to agri-fuel has greatly impacted food costs. This is due to farmers not keeping the food supply planting at the same amount and then growing additional crops for fuel.

Not to mention the ethanol industry. Corn costs more, which has driven up the price of beef, chiclken, pork, and milk. Also, since farmers are getting more money for con than for other crops, they are grpwing less wheat, barley, soy, etc.

All this thanks to the magical fuel known as ethanol.

Not to mention the ethanol industry. Corn costs more, which has driven up the price of beef, chiclken, pork, and milk. Also, since farmers are getting more money for con than for other crops, they are grpwing less wheat, barley, soy, etc.

All this thanks to the magical fuel known as ethanol.

If ethanol had not driven up the price of corn, most farmers would not have planted anything this spring. As it stands there should be a profit this year for farmers but not to the extent most think. There are a few farmers in my area that go through 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel a day during the spring planting. This is in upstate NY where fields are relatively small. I can't imagine what the farmers in the mid-west go through in a day. The price of most fertilizers has also increased dramatically. If corn were still $4 a bushel like last fall, or even $2.50 a bushel as it was before that, the farmers could not overcome the cost of fuel and fertilizer and the fields would have set idle.

This stands for the dairy, beef, poultry, and pork farms as well. It takes oil/diesel/gas to run the tractors, plant the crops, clean the barns, and feed the animals. Yes, the price of corn that is fed has increased but so have nearly all of the other inputs.

Ethanol may not be the solution but without it there would be hardly any crops and or meat reaching the market at any price.

I used to enjoy going to the grocery store for the weekly shopping....yes I am a domesticated male...product of a divorced family so I had to learn to "pitch in".

Anyway, I cannot believe how much inflation has turned my ice-cream, bread and cereal into bird-size portions. Ice cream used to be a half gallon, then it went to 1.75 qt and now it is 1.5 quarts and the price has gone up to top it off. The same bread I bought at Wegmans for all this time for 99 cents is now about 2/3 of it s original size and my cereal has shrunken by about 1/3. I cannot believe how much I am getting screwed....what's next hot dogs the size of cocktail weiners? Pizzas the size of quarters? I cannot stand being nickel and dimed to death by grocery stores, airlines, restaurants, when will it end? *sigh* :thumbsup:

I only run to the grocery store occasionally and it shocks me to see the price of bread, milk, butter compared to a year or two back. Now my wife is out of town for some time and I went for a full grocery shopping. When I saw the overall prices, I can see why my wife had been complaining about the monthly budget not being adequate.

Color commentary - We also now are just beginning to appreciate why portions are small and wastage is less in other countries where food uses up a significantly higher percent of a family's disposable income. This page has a link to a spreadsheet of world data:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/InternationalFoodDemand/

Of the 9.8% we spend on food, 5.7% is 'at home' and 4.1% is away from home.

Danny... please come to Charlotte! :thumbsup:

I skimmed through the post the first time and missed a couple things I want to respond to now...re: the ads and finding the bargains - it's a good idea in theory, but with gas prices the way they are, it's actually gotten to the point that you have to figure out how much extra it will cost you in gas to go to a couple different places for groceries. Here in Cleveland milk is generally around 3.29 or higher, so when it goes on sale at a Rite Aid or Walgreens we stock up there, because they are on the same road as the Giant Eagle and Acme grocery stores. We can also get milk for $2.69 at Sam's Club - but the nearest Sam's is a 15-minute highway drive.

When we lived in Orlando we used to do some of our shopping at Super Target, but we've found their prices seem to have shot up faster than regular grocery stores. I wish we could find a Super Wal-Mart nearby that isn't in a bad section of town - their prices are usually much better than any of the grocery chains or even ST.

Tip: If a Sunday papers' coupon inserts have some that are particularly valuable to you, buy an extra paper or two.

Actually I've seen that special run both ways - as true BOGO and as 1/2 price for each. It's usually the former and not the latter, and is never advertised as 1/2 price on one - you usually ind out when you get to the checkout. One of the things that really gets me is the 10 for $XX, making customers believe they have to buy 10 to get the sale price.

Re: the coupon inserts: My mother-in-law actually sends us coupons from the Rochester-area papers, since we've seen a noticeable difference in the number, quality and type of coupons in comparison to the Cleveland-area papers.

I skimmed through the post the first time and missed a couple things I want to respond to now...re: the ads and finding the bargains - it's a good idea in theory, but with gas prices the way they are, it's actually gotten to the point that you have to figure out how much extra it will cost you in gas to go to a couple different places for groceries.

I'm well-situated. The Meijer's I do most grocery shopping at is, is about 3 miles away. There's a Kroger's and Wal-Mart on that road, also.

Yes on the 10 for $10 promotions - people should educate themselves!

But I also clip coupons for items I don't buy, and distribute them throughout the store for the next guy. However, I won't put one out that's XXX off two, unless the necessity to purchase 2 is in clear, bold print. I don't want some soul to make a purchase they otherwise may not.

A poster noted the percentage of meals taken out of the home these days. It's pricey. On a rainy July 4th, wife 'n me went to breakfast and paid 17 bucks w/ tip. On July 5th, We shared a grilled 10 oz. ribeye bought on sale, along with roasted new potatoes, corn on the cob, and peaches with canned whipped cream for dessert. Eleven bucks for the both of us.

I also noted a rise in restaurant prices after the OH voters upped the minimum wage (along with its' cost-of-living rise!).

The increased cost got passed along to the customer - and have learned that the response to higher wages with some has been to cut staff. That's the way it goes...

Absolutely so. I generally shop at Meijers'.

Their in-store coupons and specials, as well as the newspaper coupons add up.

My shopping there for the month of June was $312.76 - 63.68 in coupons and specials = $249.08 net. A little over 20% off.

There are some items that I purchase at Wal-Mart because of better prices. I seldom buy from Kroegers's or Marsh's - they have those annoying (to me) "card" programs, so overall, their prices are higher. But they provide competion, which helps. There is also a nearby store called "Jungle Jims - a unique place. It's a tour bus destination.

http://www.junglejims.com/index.asp

Not true everywhere. Here in Va we have Farm Fresh Supermarkets. If they're offering a buy 1 get 1 and you only want 1 it's half price. Amazing but true.

I'm very fortunate as retired Navy in that we shop at the commissary. Yesterday we filled a cart at the commissary and out the door after coupons was less than $125.

Not true everywhere. Here in Va we have Farm Fresh Supermarkets. If they're offering a buy 1 get 1 and you only want 1 it's half price. Amazing but true.

I'm very fortunate as retired Navy in that we shop at the commissary. Yesterday we filled a cart at the commissary and out the door after coupons was less than $125.

Harris Teeter usually honors the half price for one as well, and even states '1 item rings at half price at the register' in the ad. Every once in a while it will say 'must buy two to get the discount'.