Grocery shopping not fun anymore

HelloNewman

Ice cream companies all blame the economy: Milk prices are up more than 50 percent from two years ago. Egg prices are up. Everyone knows gas prices are up.

This weekend I bought a cover for my pop-up camper. When we priced it in FEB it was $42...Saturday we paid $59 at the exact same place where we priced it in FEB. The excuse for the price increase? The cost of gas! :lol:

Ice cream companies all blame the economy: Milk prices are up more than 50 percent from two years ago. Egg prices are up. Everyone knows gas prices are up.

This weekend I bought a cover for my pop-up camper. When we priced it in FEB it was $42...Saturday we paid $59 at the exact same place where we priced it in FEB. The excuse for the price increase? The cost of gas! :lol:

I can see where even if it was the SAME cover they had in stock in February why it would cost more now... That way they can make more money on the product without having to drastically raise the price on future inventory... Same thing with gas itself... In the long run, everything just CREEPS up.

Sure they are jacking up the prices and reducing the amount of product... But, on a good note... Won't there be a lot less fat asses around!

;);)

Do I dare say that a a few people could stand to skip a few meals!

:D

So...market forces - instead of politicians polishing their knobs resulting in more restrictive government laws? Whatta concept... :lol:

I can see where even if it was the SAME cover they had in stock in February why it would cost more now... That way they can make more money on the product without having to drastically raise the price on future inventory... Same thing with gas itself... In the long run, everything just CREEPS up.

Being in a manufacturing business, I know that Dow and SABIC (former GE Plastics) have issued at least 2 price increases on raw material this year alone. Then, if the goods are manufactured in Asia (or anywhere else for that matter) there are fuel surcharges to ship the goods back to the customer / retailer.

So...market forces - instead of politicians polishing their knobs resulting in more restrictive government laws? Whatta concept... :lol:

Usually it doesn't happen this way... Market forces would rather see you get fat and shove more quantity down your throat at a cheaper price... Of course making the game bigger so they can bury their competition and bring more customers to their brand.

Now, in contrast we actually have a good thing happening!

Is this a plastic cover or a natural material cover?

It's a poly-blahblahblah cover...I think it was polypropylene. As far as I know it's the exact same cover that was sitting there the 1st time I went in.

I can't come up with a reason to increase the cost of the cover if it was still sitting on a shelf. I can if it was made just recently. Then again, I bought some copper wire at HD for a small yard art project and the cost went up about 3X from last winter to now.

:lol:

It's a poly-blahblahblah cover...I think it was polypropylene. As far as I know it's the exact same cover that was sitting there the 1st time I went in.

Like I noted... Maybe the prices went up even more for newer inventory? So they raise the exact same cover 17 bucks INSTEAD of drastically raising the prices on the newer inventory.

See what I am saying?... If this is the case, eventually that cover will be even higher when they sell all the past stocked inventory.

I am by far NOT an economist... :lol: You see it happen with the gas already sitting in the ground at the station.

I mean this sounds logical... Even if it is the same cover... Why would they still sell you the old cover for 42 (even when they bought it for less... They are losing their shirt on the new orders) when the new covers have to be sold at say 60 or more... Just start selling all of them at 59... They have to stay in business.

You just made an unlucky choice NOT buying in Feb!

Usually it doesn't happen this way... Market forces would rather see you get fat and shove more quantity down your throat at a cheaper price... Of course making the game bigger so they can bury their competition and bring more customers to their brand.

Now, in contrast we actually have a good thing happening!

No...I mean the buyers who want to reduce weight or pay attention to their nutrition. The market has buyers and sellers.

Ice cream used to be a half gallon, then it went to 1.75 qt and now it is 1.5 quarts and the price has gone up to top it off.

You know that is just pure BS! I bought my favorite brand at Wegmans, brought it home and put it alongside what I had and noticed it was like 2" shorter. Sure enough 1.5 quarts. Called EDY's to complain and they told me it was "value-sizing", even though the price was the same. Talk about circular arguments too :blink:

Someone mentioned 12oz beers. Aren't most beers 11 to 11.5oz's already?

You know that is just pure BS! I bought my favorite brand at Wegmans, brought it home and put it alongside what I had and noticed it was like 2" shorter. Sure enough 1.5 quarts. Called EDY's to complain and they told me it was "value-sizing", even though the price was the same. Talk about circular arguments too :blink:

Someone mentioned 12oz beers. Aren't most beers 11 to 11.5oz's already?

Stick around.

Federal minimum wage rises 70 cents per hour on Thursday. Piggyback on that the incremental percentage rise in employers' FICA contribution, and the workman's compensation cuts' rise of the increase assessed to the employer.

Consumer prices will rise, and faced with increased labor costs, businesses will cut more jobs.

Stick around.

Federal minimum wage rises 70 cents per hour on Thursday. Piggyback on that the incremental percentage rise in employers' FICA contribution, and the workman's compensation cuts' rise of the increase assessed to the employer.

Consumer prices will rise, and faced with increased labor costs, businesses will cut more jobs.

So you mean that raising the minimum wage won't actually help those making minimum wage??? What a novel concept - too bad our elected officials would do anything that amounts to good P.R. than actually do something meaningful, like adjust the tax brackets to give those making minimum wage more purchasing power while keeping the cost of goods down.

So you mean that raising the minimum wage won't actually help those making minimum wage??? What a novel concept - too bad our elected officials would do anything that amounts to good P.R. than actually do something meaningful, like adjust the tax brackets to give those making minimum wage more purchasing power while keeping the cost of goods down.

???

Lower?

A minimum wage worker at this new $6.55/hr figure, working 40 hours per week, grosses $262 per week.

If that person worked 52 weeks a year, that's $13,624.

The 1040EZ exemption for 2007 was $8,750. Net gross would be $4,874. Per Schedule X on the Federal tax table, the rate is 10%...$487.40.

Then figure in Earned Income Credit. Even if this worker is single, with no dependents, they pay little or no federal tax, and may well get money. Add in food assistance and Medicaid.

I don't know how you go about forcing a rise in labor costs to a business then go and force them to reduce the price of their product. Why bother to have a business and hire employees, then?

Like I noted... Maybe the prices went up even more for newer inventory? So they raise the exact same cover 17 bucks INSTEAD of drastically raising the prices on the newer inventory.

See what I am saying?... If this is the case, eventually that cover will be even higher when they sell all the past stocked inventory.

I am by far NOT an economist... :thumbsup: You see it happen with the gas already sitting in the ground at the station.

I mean this sounds logical... Even if it is the same cover... Why would they still sell you the old cover for 42 (even when they bought it for less... They are losing their shirt on the new orders) when the new covers have to be sold at say 60 or more... Just start selling all of them at 59... They have to stay in business.

You just made an unlucky choice NOT buying in Feb!

:unsure:

You got that right.

BTW it was manufactured in May 06 so not newly manufactured.