Terrence McGee should be our kickoff returner

LabattBlue

I posted the paragraph quoted below in my game summary, but I think it is important enough to have it's own topic. Does anyone believe that any other players should be considered as the primary kick returner? I know they have two men back for kickoffs, but McGee should be the one who gets the ball if at all possible. He will finish in the top 10 kick returners, if given the chance.

"McGee IS OUR KICK RETURNER. Two things on the 85 yarder. One, he made a guy miss at about the 25 yard line and then right after that he seemed to explode into a second gear. Combined with some efforts from last year, this competition is done. game, set, match."

I posted the paragraph quoted below in my game summary, but I think it is important enough to have it's own topic.  Does anyone believe that any other players should be considered as the primary kick returner?  I know they have two men back for kickoffs, but McGee should be the one who gets the ball if at all possible.  He will finish in the top 10 kick returners, if given the chance.

"McGee IS OUR KICK RETURNER. Two things on the 85 yarder. One, he made a guy miss at about the 25 yard line and then right after that he seemed to explode into a second gear. Combined with some efforts from last year, this competition is done. game, set, match."

5220[/snapback]

Terrence McGee looks like he's the best we got, but I am reminded of Antonio Brown's stellar pre-season last year. Remember he returned, not one, but two kickoffs for TDs, and everyone declared him to be our savior. Then he proceeded to disappear in the regular season.

I didn't see the game (a video tape is on its way) but didn't McGee get caught from behind on that 85-yard return? Shouldn't he have been able to outrun everyone once he was in the clear? Like I said, he looks like the best we have, but I'm not doing cartwheels.

PTR

Terrence McGee looks like he's the best we got, but I am reminded of Antonio Brown's stellar pre-season last year.  Remember he returned, not one, but two kickoffs for TDs, and everyone declared him to be our savior.  Then he proceeded to disappear in the regular season.

I didn't see the game (a video tape is on its way) but didn't McGee get caught from behind on that 85-yard return?  Shouldn't he have been able to outrun everyone once he was in the clear?  Like I said, he looks like the best we have, but I'm not doing cartwheels.

PTR

5225[/snapback]

PTR...reserve judgement until you see it. The way he made the Titan ST miss in the open field was a thing of beauty and then kicking it into high gear....WOW.

AB is blazing fast running in a straight line, but that's it. Blow on him and he goes down. Ask him to be evasive....forget it.

I agree there should be no question, but I wonder if it's wise to have Fletcher keep opening up lanes fro him because he has clearly leveled some people to  make way for McGee

5237[/snapback]

In fact the block Fletcher put on the ST, reminded of the block he put on Damien Woody as Adams was running back the int on opening day. Part of the SI cover if I remember it right.

Check it out... http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers.../2003/0915.html

Terrence McGee looks like he's the best we got, but I am reminded of Antonio Brown's stellar pre-season last year.  Remember he returned, not one, but two kickoffs for TDs, and everyone declared him to be our savior.  Then he proceeded to disappear in the regular season.

I didn't see the game (a video tape is on its way) but didn't McGee get caught from behind on that 85-yard return?  Shouldn't he have been able to outrun everyone once he was in the clear?  Like I said, he looks like the best we have, but I'm not doing cartwheels.

PTR

5225[/snapback]

McGee got caught from behind because Wire chose to block the punter instead of turning around and leveling the guys behind him. He could've taken all three out with one block and it would've been a touchdown.

Wire looks bad. Real bad.

McGee was considered to be one of the top college returners when he was drated in '03. Why he wasn't in much in that job last year still mystifies me..

Same here cincy. I didn't realize he was a great return man in college but his abilities were still apparent enough that I also thought he should have been returnng kicks last year. Between him and Clements we would have had (and should now) a great pair of return men.

Cya

I just watched it again....after the replay they were talking about the face mask penalty and Marv said " he had to do it or he might have taken it all the way "

Same here cincy. I didn't realize he was a great return man in college but his abilities were still apparent enough that I also thought he should have been returnng kicks last year. Between him and Clements we would have had (and should now) a great pair of return men.

Cya

5412[/snapback]

It's always fun looking back on old scouting reports on McGee (and other players)

Here's a few on Terrence:

NFL.com's Profile

7th Millenniumsports Profile

MSN Profile

and here's a story about him just before the draft

I like the NFL one best as it shows his stats from college. He averaged an amazing 17.2 yards per punt return over his career and 22.3 on kickoff returns. He probably would have been drafted a lot sooner if he was a little taller, went to a bigger school and ran a better 40 time at the combine (ie he may be a steal).

at this point with the game mcgee had last week i think that it basically means that brown has one foot out the door. anyways i think that mcgee has better vision to see an opening than brown. speed is good yes (brown) but with out the vision it means nothing.

McGee has also looked more than decent as a CB -an INT in week 1 and several decent tackles in week 2

BTW -after reviewing the Tennessee tape, the Bills were in a "2-deep zone" for almost the entire game. VERY Vanilla. Vincent WAS playing too far off the receivers IMO but how that will translate to the "real" games when the Bills are in a different defensive set, I have no idea.

As to McGee as our KR. I think he is a slam dunk with Reed as the alternative. Orlando Brown will be released.

McGee has also looked more than decent as a CB -an INT in week 1 and several decent tackles in week 2

BTW -after reviewing the Tennessee tape, the Bills were in a "2-deep zone" for almost the entire game. VERY Vanilla. Vincent WAS playing too far off the receivers IMO but how that will translate to the "real" games when the Bills are in a different defensive set, I have no idea.

As to McGee as our KR. I think he is a slam dunk with Reed as the alternative. Orlando Brown will be released.

5469[/snapback]

Who's Orlando Brown?? :w00t:

Agreed. McGee should be the guy. He other two returns, not counting the 85 yarder, were very good returns, too. In fact, counting this year, last year, and throught college he has never NOT been good. And yes, I know that was a double negative.

We also need the roster spot allotted last year to A. Brown, which we can use for Gildon as a hybrid, Peters to groom, or Baker if we don't want to cut Prileau.

Interestingly, when Josh Reed was back, there were no other returners with him, and an extra big man blocking in the wedge. I also though that was a good idea. The return guys have enough time to get to either side of the field to return kicks, IMO. That extra big guy vs. a fast guy (#2 return man) that never usually blocks anyone well may be smart.

Guest Answer Man
Who's Orlando Brown??  :D

5478[/snapback]

My bad....How did I not know that??  :w00t:

5485[/snapback]

Someone is playing a joke on you.

Orlando Jones was the actor who played the WR Clifford Franklin who ran with blazing speed but could not catch anything and would run into people in the "The Replacements".

The poster combines Orlando's first name and Brown's last name.

Archived