Butler signs contract extension

Dan III

:D Good news. I won't pretend to be able to disect offensive line play, like some here can, but I have liked what I have seen of him. He seems to be getting a lot of "under the radar" type publicity as of late. Also, I heard McNally on GR recently, hyping him up.

Now, I kind of wish they would do something to ensure that Lee Evans and Jason Peters are happy, and in Buffalo long term.

In the case of Peters, esepcially, it seems like the price is only going to go up...

:D Good news. I won't pretend to be able to disect offensive line play, like some here pretend to do, but I have liked what I have seen of him. He seems to be getting a lot of "under the radar" type publicity as of late. Also, I heard McNally on GR recently, hyping him up.

Now, I kind of wish they would do something to ensure that Lee Evans and Jason Peters are happy, and in Buffalo long term.

In the case of Peters, esepcially, it seems like the price is only going to go up...

Had to fix that one for you. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, good post!

I have heard several people talking about "we shoud get this player XXXX to upgrade the RG position"

Folks.....they have the right guard they want.

Yep. Pretty clearly. Even more obvious when you look back at last year when it was a two-person race for RG between Whittle and Preston because Butler was hurt. And then Butler got the job as soon as he came back from injury.

And just to show you how far removed I am from OL play nowadays....I was really suprised when they released Aaron Merz.....who I thought we might have had at the least a quality backup player with.

I actually like our OL (with Peters back) and Whittle provides good versitile insurance at some different positions.

Now the O-Line only needs two more things and they will be ready to move up to elite status. We need to make sure that Peters gets that big extension, and we need to sign a bigger center. Fowler could be a good solid backup for us, but he is the weak link in terms of getting pushed around and not being able to hold up blocks. He's just not big enough to hold against those big DTs coming through the middle.

Now the O-Line only needs two more things and they will be ready to move up to elite status. We need to make sure that Peters gets that big extension, and we need to sign a bigger center. Fowler could be a good solid backup for us, but he is the weak link in terms of getting pushed around and not being able to hold up blocks. He's just not big enough to hold against those big DTs coming through the middle.

And we need all-pro backups at each of the five positions. Can't forget that. Only then will the Bills be competent on the OL.

And we need all-pro backups at each of the five positions. Can't forget that. Only then will the Bills be competent on the OL.

Stop. The secondary is way more important the having a team that can block. The way to build an NFL team is through the defensive backfield, right?

Stop. The secondary is way more important the having a team that can block. The way to build an NFL team is through the defensive backfield, right?

Absolutely. 3-deep at each position is how I'd attack it. I'm looking forward to drafting safeties in each of the first four rounds in 2009.

I have heard several people talking about "we shoud get this player XXXX to upgrade the RG position"

Folks.....they have the right guard they want.

unless he has to move to LT,

if Peters continues his holdout or gets injured (more likely due to his holdout)

This is great. I love signing the young, unheralded guys to long-term deals. May as well take care of Butler now than waiting until next season when he's in a contract year with two full season's as a starter under his belt.

Yeah, make sure we lock 'em up at a young age so he won't be holding out for more money in a year or two, just like we did with that no-name Peters. Oh,wait!...

:thumbsup:

This is great. I love signing the young, unheralded guys to long-term deals. May as well take care of Butler now than waiting until next season when he's in a contract year with two full season's as a starter under his belt.

Except if he pulls a Peters and goes to the Pro Bowl and wants more money.