I heard that they are replacing the shout song at the ralph

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thehogs.net/History/fightSong.php

The Redskins song was written in 1937, after the team's owner commissioned a 110 member band to provide the new fans with the pageantry he thought football deserved. Wanting to emulate 'the spectacle of Roman gladiators', he oufitted the band with $25,000 worth of uniforms.

The owner's wife (the owner back then, not Danny Snyder's wife) wrote the lyrics to the first ever fight song, "Hail to the Redskins" (by renowned band leader Barnee Breeskin). It was performed for the first time as the official Redskins fight song on August 17, 1938. Maybe Ralph's daughter could jot down some words.

When the song made it's official debut, it was a slightly different version than the one heard today every time the Redskins score. Some of the words have been changed for political correctness:

Modern Version

Hail to the Redskins !

Hail to victory !

Braves on the war path !

Fight for old D.C !

Run or pass and score,

We want a lot more !

Beat em, Swamp em, Touchdown,

Let the points soar !

Fight on... Fight On...

Til you have won,

Sons of Washington !

Original Version

Hail to the Redskins !

Hail to victory !

Braves on the war path !

Fight for old Dixie !

Scalp em, Swamp em,

We will take em big score !

Read em, Weep em Touchdown,

We want heaps more !

Fight on... Fight On...

Til you have won,

Sons of Washington !

First off, I love the fact that there's Rick Ross track with "Marshawn Lynch on the b*itch* -- Beast Mode" as the chorus. We've finally entered the hip-hop lexicon!

Of course if they ever do change the Shout! song we all know it will be to the 1994 MC Le-Vy classic "Go Bills"

Go Bills! For we are here to cheer for you

Go Bills! We are your fans so true

With victory in sight

We'll yell with all our might

So, Go Bills! Fight Bills! Go!

C'mon, let's win for Buffalo!

Go Bills! We're with you

Fight Bills! We're with you

Go Bills! Let's win this game

We'll raise up all our voices high

The Bills teams spirit will not die

Go Bills! For we are here to cheer for you

Go Bills! We are your fans so true

With victory in sight

We'll yell with all our might

You think the shout song is bad...did you every hear the Dolphins? :thumbsup:

Good grief, jeah, been to the Dolphins London game last year... What a piece of crap that music is.

*. Funny thing, they kept showing vids about their perfect season on the stadium vids as well. Someone was very out of touch with the Dolphins performance last year in their organization.

**. I genuily hope stadium atmosphere is a hell of a lot better in the USA then it was at the London game, I had the game taped on dvr so I could watch it when I got home from the real thing (I always do that when I go to a live game) and the commentators were raving about the atmosphere. Well compared to what the atmosphere was like in NFL Europe this had the atmosphere of a morque.

Good grief, jeah, been to the Dolphins London game last year... What a piece of crap that music is.

*. Funny thing, they kept showing vids about their perfect season on the stadium vids as well. Someone was very out of touch with the Dolphins performance last year in their organization.

**. I genuily hope stadium atmosphere is a hell of a lot better in the USA then it was at the London game, I had the game taped on dvr so I could watch it when I got home from the real thing (I always do that when I go to a live game) and the commentators were raving about the atmosphere. Well compared to what the atmosphere was like in NFL Europe this had the atmosphere of a morque.

Isn't the Miami song basically a ripped off version of the old Oilers song?

Shout is old, worn out, tired and way way past its time. God forbid they actually change it to something decent. Not that the above song represents something decent :thumbsup:

This might be the dumbest comment of the day. You obviously weren't there at the Dallas game live to hear it sung by about 70,000 Bills fans. It was so good, Mike Tirico said on ESPN that he would just shut up, because "the crowd singing is just too good, let's listen"

My friend called me in Pittsburgh and said we sounded awesome singing SHOUT on TV. I couldn't wait to get home and hear it on tape.

This might be the dumbest comment of the day. You obviously weren't there at the Dallas game live to hear it sung by about 70,000 Bills fans. It was so good, Mike Tirico said on ESPN that he would just shut up, because "the crowd singing is just too good, let's listen"

My friend called me in Pittsburgh and said we sounded awesome singing SHOUT on TV. I couldn't wait to get home and hear it on tape.

Yes, and it just gets fresher every time I hear it. :thumbsup:

And you're right, I wasn't there to hear it for the Dallas game but I was there to hear it in 1990 for the Raiders/Bills playoff game when it was a bazillion below zero. I've also heard it a few hundred times since then. I stand by my opinion that the song is worn out. Maybe they could mix it up a bit and add in something really edgy like "Celebration".

Thanks for confirming my fandom though, it's always good to have an e-thug patrolling the boards for us less loyal Bills fans.

Yes, and it just gets fresher every time I hear it. :thumbsup:

And you're right, I wasn't there to hear it for the Dallas game but I was there to hear it in 1990 for the Raiders/Bills playoff game when it was a bazillion below zero. I've also heard it a few hundred times since then. I stand by my opinion that the song is worn out. Maybe they could mix it up a bit and add in something really edgy like "Celebration".

Thanks for confirming my fandom though, it's always good to have an e-thug patrolling the boards for us less loyal Bills fans.

No problem, glad I could chime in. And for the record, they used to play celebration when a Bill would reach the endzone, followed by the Shout song after the extra point. Now that was heaven.

Some things, you don't mess with. The Shout song is a Bills institution.

Shout is old, worn out, tired and way way past its time. God forbid they actually change it to something decent. Not that the above song represents something decent :thumbsup:

You have to be kidding-- Shout is a big part of the Bills. Did you hear the stadium on Monday Night Football. the announcers stopped talking when the song was playing. This helps the atmosphere at the stadium.

I knew my comment would draw the anger of my fellow Bills fans but sorry, it's the truth. Seriously, is there any other team that has a touchdown song that's 30+ years old.

Um, the Redskins - 1938 - Hail to the Redskins, maybe a gem like this Go Packers Go.

Makes "Shout" sound like hip hop! :thumbsup: