Trent Edwards' Arm Strength

I say it STARTS with the head coach and I hold him entirely accountable for the dismal offensive production and the stunting of JP's growth as a QB. Trent may be on the same path unfortunately.

Our talent has stunted his growth more than Jauron has. Our lack of talent at the WR/TE positions has prevented us from getting into the endzone via the pass game. The failure to get a center has hurst our ability in the run game.

JP is about where I thought he would be at this point when we drafted him. I figured he would be about a five-year project, and he has responded well to benchings and prematurely being inserted into the lineup by a truly inert football coach (Mularkey)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say it STARTS with the head coach and I hold him entirely accountable for the dismal offensive production and the stunting of JP's growth as a QB. Trent may be on the same path unfortunately.

You are correct it does start with the head coach, the ultimate responsibility is his. When I said it starts with the QB, I meant a pass resulting in a TD starts with the QB, but the line has to block, & the receiver has to make the catch.

Ok now, I do stats for a living, and I can tell you for sure- stats CAN lie- they can say whatever you want them too. And another thing- there is no level of football where they track wins for quarterbacks like they do for pitchers. And I hate to take anything away from Trent, as he had an outstanding year, considering he was a rookie, but when he left the Jets game with an injury, the score was tied, and we had been abysmal on offense.

When JP came in, everything changed- does that define which QB is better? Absolutely not- both QB's have done well in relief for the other. They are opposites and compliment each other well. Both have a real good shot at being quality starters> I may be the only one, but I am glad we have both on the roster

I agree with this post in its entirety. :P

I agree with this post in its entirety. :P

Ok so Trent didn't beat the Jets twice. And you never see stats qith QBs "record as a starter". Keep living in your JP-induced shiny city dream world, but facts are facts and stats don't lie. They are just numbers.

Let's be clear about one thing. Both Trent and JP stunk horribly last year. But Trent was pretty good for a third round rookie. He went on a streak of scoring more points against an opponent than any team on their schedule other than the ones they had played already. I haven't checked, but a third round rookie may have never done this before.

Anytime you basically tell a young QB, or make it blatantly obvious, that his career comes down to a single start, it a sure sign that your team's QB (and offensive) situation is FUBAR'ed.

I agree. Everyone says JP called himself out before the Jacksonville game. I don't think he did, I think he was just ECHOING what he was told by his coach....... WIN this game or you're done.

Ok so Trent didn't beat the Jets twice. And you never see stats qith QBs "record as a starter". Keep living in your JP-induced shiny city dream world, but facts are facts and stats don't lie. They are just numbers.

Let's be clear about one thing. Both Trent and JP stunk horribly last year. But Trent was pretty good for a third round rookie. He went on a streak of scoring more points against an opponent than any team on their schedule other than the ones they had played already. I haven't checked, but a third round rookie may have never done this before.

Stats are just numbers & you can arrange those numbers to say ANYTHING you like, so yeah stats sometimes lie, & sometimes they don't tell the entire story.

:P

2 + 2 = 4 and Trent beat the Jets twice. Period.

Can you go into one of your comments in more detail. You say that Trent was "scoring more points against an opponent than any team on their schedule other than the ones they had played already." What exactly does this say about him as a QB?

Ok now, I do stats for a living, and I can tell you for sure- stats CAN lie- they can say whatever you want them too. And another thing- there is no level of football where they track wins for quarterbacks like they do for pitchers.

True. They don't count wins like pitchers. I don't know why Losman bashers use this fact.

Although, of course, if they did count wins and losses like pitchers, Trent would have one more loss and one less win, and JP would have one more win and one less loss. :P

Can you go into one of your comments in more detail. You say that Trent was "scoring more points against an opponent than any team on their schedule other than the ones they had played already." What exactly does this say about him as a QB?

He has "it".

Unfortunately, his "it" comes with an "sh" in front.

2 + 2 = 4 and Trent beat the Jets twice. Period.

First off, Trent didn't beat the Jets at all- THE BILLS BEAT THEM TWICE. Second, you aren't going to change anyone's opinion on anything by saying period. That is the way a very juvenille person tries to get their way on something.

Trent was good for a rookie, that said, he wasn't lighting things up. Neither did JP. I don't expect either QB to light things up on a team where fns are clamoring for Roscoe Parrish to be a playmaker......if only we used Russell Copeland correctly, Kelly would have made another pro bowl.

Garbage. We stunk last year and we will again this year. It is a mediocre team with upside. We are headed in the right direction, but we need to pick a QB, stick and with him- regardless if any of the buffoons on the radio or in the stands protest.

We still need upgrades at WR, TE, C, RT, DE and DT. Thats a lot of weaknesses, and you can only scheme around weaknesses so much.

We are going to lose somewhere between 9-11 games this season because a mediocre team with upside is not good enough in the AFC to beat the good teams regularly. I am concerned we don't break even against Miami and New York, to be honest. Miami had a solid line last year, and with the addition of Long, they could end up with the best in the AFC. I( will be more nervous if they start McCown at QB, because I think he can be pretty solid. And for all the talk about how bad Pennington is, I remember them making playoffs quite a few times with him at QB- and he never had a good arm.

First off, Trent didn't beat the Jets at all- THE BILLS BEAT THEM TWICE. Second, you aren't going to change anyone's opinion on anything by saying period. That is the way a very juvenille person tries to get their way on something.

2 + 2 = 4 and Trent beat the Jets twice. Bank on it.

2 + 2 = 4 and Trent beat the Jets twice. Bank on it.

All hail Trent, the mighty savior. He defeats all teams that stand before his might. He doesn't need receivers, he will catch his own deflected passes and run for the endzone himself.

4+3=7, which is the number of wins this season if we are lucky

quote name='Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:42 PM' post='1062193']
When Edwards WAS rushed hard he looked VERY pedestrian the entire season. When he was asked to go deep or throw hard intermediate routes, he rarely looked good doing it. He looked good a couple times, in fact, he looked fabulous a couple times. But the vast, vast majority of his passes more than 15 yards in the air were very average to me.

Was he very pedestrian for the entire season, or did he look good, or even fabulous a couple of times? Passive agressive are we?

He didn't look well late in the game, with very minimal exceptions. He didn't handle the rush well. He didn't really READ defenses except pre-snap.

Except sacks were at an all time team low. Would they have been yet lower if JP was in there? I am not just asking you. I am asking the rest of the guys at your network, LEN (Losman Excuse Network). Maybe Ramius, the Executive Excuse Producer might want to weigh in.

He didn't show the capacity to make huge plays. He didn't put points on the board. He did throw inopportune INTs at the end of the game. He didn't avoid the rush with an ability to scramble very well. He is VERY stubborn in the pocket, which is totally noble and he shows he's fearless, but it will get him killed in the NFL worse than it got him killed in college where he was killed by being stubborn in the pocket. It's the reason I will bet anyone he gets hurt this year and misses games. It's not because he isn't tough, he's enormously tough, he's just not smart in the pocket when it comes to sensing and avoiding hits.

I don't agree with all of the above, but if every word was true, why is he the starter? Btw, not smart in the pocket? Yeah, OK. He happens to be good at side stepping pressure and getting the ball away, thus the low sack stats. Would you like it better if he hopped around like a beheaded chicken and tossed a ground ball? The answer is surely yes, whereas we know who you want to start.

The fact that he can throw a long ball for a completion once does not mean he has the arm strength to be a solid quarterback in this league. He has to show he can do that consistently.

Let's talk about Montana throwing consistent deep balls. Bledsoe sure could throw them all day. JP has a good deep arm too, with 2.5 wins per year to show for it. The fact is that many qbs have done quite well without having a cannon for an arm.

How did you like the 4th quarter of the Denver game last year?

Dude you are so right. Every good QB excels in every 4th quarter. Just look at Trent's game vs Dallas. If the defense and special teams don't blow it, that game is legendary. In the 4th quarter, he almost drove the Bills to the game clinching field goal. If he hadn't thrown one understandable weak out, which is still pretty good for a third round rookie, I think that the game would be hyped just below Elway's game in Cleveland.

All hail Trent, the mighty savior. He defeats all teams that stand before his might. He doesn't need receivers, he will catch his own deflected passes and run for the endzone himself.

4+3=7, which is the number of wins this season if we are lucky

Have you ever heard of Bob Gibson?

How did you like the 4th quarter of the Denver game last year?

Ahhhh, the 4th quarter of the Denver game. Let's talk about that 4th quarter Bill..

The same quarter where the coaches moronically called for three straight plays to Anthony Thomas then punted???? Of course the first two downs were A-Train runs which totaled a whopping -2 yards and the third play was a short pass from Losman for 8 yards.

The same quarter when the moronic coaching then thought it would be smart to run Lynch into the pile on 1st and 2nd downs then call a deep bomb on a 3rd and 5 situation????

The Denver game was the harbinger of the pathetic playcalling we would be seeing all season long. A lot of fans here can only see the shiny things on the surface and still refuse to look deeper than "JP Losman sucks, it's all his fault, let's move on!" mantra.

Thank you for brining up the Denver game Bill, I have never ever been so pissed off at Buffalo Bills coaching in my life than I was in 2007 and that includes the Kay Stephenson/Hank Bullough years. This jerk Jauron talked about how they were going to "open up" the offense and build on 2006 and then goes into his shell like the turtle minded head coach he is. Well he doesn't have the Losman "excuse" any longer. This jerk is finally going to be held accountable for his pathetically conservative and seven years and counting losing head coaching style in 2008. It makes me sick that this guy has got off scott free by fans and media alike. He sucks bad.

Nice rant, 1billsfan, except for one teensy weensy insignificant fact you overlooked -- Jauron doesn't call the plays, and if you believe he's an honest man (I do), he has indicated he doesn't "tell" the OC what plays to call either.