Anyone go see Dave matthews band Last night?

So Last night I went to Darrien lake with my younger brother to check out Dave Matthews, a show I have wanted to see for a long time, and man was it a crappy experience, and I have to say I would not buy Lawn seats for the show again.

The band and what was going on on stage was amazing, they are a tremendous live band, but maybe its just me getting older, or like Cartman, having ) tolerance for hippies, but the crowd was one of the most annoying crowds I have been at.

We got to the park just after 7 (I worked til 5 and then had to make the hour +/- drive and the traffic off the thruway to the park was horrible, btw, who designs the roads leading to a big theme park on a 2 lane road?) and the rain was coming down off and on pretty heavy at times, so we sat in the truck hoping the weather would improve, and since we didn't care about the opening act, it worked out well. Finally the rain slows down a little so we make the walk to the venue at around 20 to 8 and get right in through the back entrance of the Lawn area. We find a good spot to stand at around centre stage and we aren't even there 10 minutes and right in front of us about 20 feet away, theres a big huddle, and in between the peoples feet, you can see a younger girl (around 20 something maybe) squatting and peeing right there in public. She gets up and is stubbling around laughing and hugging all of her friends. Then, about 5 minutes later, she is hugging a guy that seemed to be her boyfriend, and I notice more water flowing, but this time, its him, and he is using her to shield himself pissing between her legs., then my brother tells me after, that he saw another gil in their group taking a piss on the lawn too. The funny part was watching the first girl continue to stumble around in her drunken state and fall over, almost into the same spot they all peed on, and then continue to fall over, and this is before the main act even takes the stage.

So we move up a bit as the shows about to start and end up talking for a few minutes to a couple of fellow Canucks who didn't like the fact I wore a Sabres shirt, but we both agree that it could be worse, I'm not a Leafs fan (he was a Sens fan, and his buddy a Wings fan who brought up the idea that they are going to take Miller away next offseason). After being asked for about the 5th time from various people if I had any weed, the show starts and was great, except for the constant pushing and shoving of people trying to get closer, or getting by to get more beer, or just wanting to move around, and the guys infront of us that kept sending us a step back every few minutes cause they would slowly stumble back into me. About 3/4's of the way into the show, one of the Canadian guys infront of us (the Sens fan) says to another guy "I will bet you $10 he can't do it". Well, the bet ended up being that his buddy couldn't fill up a beer glass with piss, he can, and he did, plus another 1/4.

So the show is about to end and they walked off before doing an encore, so we move higher up so we could get near the back exit quicker and get out of the parking lot before it got jammed. They came out to do an encore, so of course we stayed for thet (even though by that time, wearing shorts and a t-shirt was really looking like a bad idea as it was getting cold. We were standing in a big open area, and when the music started again, these 2 woman, in their mid 40's atleast decide to start dancing. Now I don't have a problem with that, but it was bad. I don't know how many here have watched a toddler when they hear music and start to move and try to dance along, well that is what they looked like, mixed in with a little bit of hippie interpretive dance, and stumbling and almost falling onto my brother, so as we move back, all that did was apparently gav them more room. As I look off to the side, I see another kid who is playing air trumpet and air violin/fiddle while dancing. And that was the end of the show, but only the begining of the fun.

We find my truck and get in and grab the extra sweatshirts we brought figuring we would be cold or wet by this time. I get out of my parking spot and head down the aisle heading to the exit. But looking at the exit and the aisles, no one is moving. The only people actually moving occasionally are the ones closest to the fence who seem to be cutting everyone else off. So after 30 minutes of not moving (no one in either aisle next to us had moved for over a 1/2 hour) I finally get enough room to cut over and head closer to wear the occasional movement is. as we get up closest to the road way to the exit and merge with everyone else, we are next to a giant RV which is next to a fullsize 4 door 4x4 pickup, thats about 2 feet away, perpendicular to a jeep cherokee. All of the sudden the door opens to the truck and a girl looks like she is trying to get out and yelling (I'm thinking she is just drunk/high and yelling at other cars) the door shuts, and then opens again, and she is screaming "Help", and "let me out!", and "No, let me go!" when all of the sudden she breaks free, and jumps out of the truck as the truck gasses it and drives right into the cherokee, t-boning it. At this point she runs off with her pants around her knees and jumps into the car infront of us as other drivers look around, and the guy in the RV and some people from the cherokee get out and go to check on the truck. The guy in the car gets out and walks towards the street where the police are directing traffic. About 5-10 minutes later they return, and people are just standing around the truck and cherokee, someone is putting a cooler in the back of the pickup, and a cop comes over and checks out the vehicle. By this time, traffic starts moving and I finally get out and onto the road, and on my way home, until i get back on the main road that goes back by the park to the Thruway, where I was in first gear almost the entire 1/2 - 1 hour drive to the thruway. I finally get home at 1:30, and go straight to bed to get up to leave for work a 7:30 this morning.

So Last night I went to Darrien lake with my younger brother to check out Dave Matthews, a show I have wanted to see for a long time, and man was it a crappy experience, and I have to say I would not buy Lawn seats for the show again.

I had that realization about lawn seats about 4 years ago, also at a Dave show but this one was in Philly. There were a bunch of 19-20 year olds who had staked out a ridiculously huge area with blankets which isn't aproblme unto itself but they parked themselves immediately in front of the entance so they were in everyone's way. I, understanding the rules of lawn seats, cut through the blankets, not stepping on anything. The idiots basically throw themselves in my way, forcing me to step over them at which point an idiot kid with a way too tight t-shirt threatens to kick my ass. Well, I walk away because you know what. I'm not getting into a fight at a DAVE MATTHEWS concert. It was a completely inappropriate respionse for the venue. If it had been at a metal show the response would have made more sense. Dude, you're at a Dave show, calm the hell down. Seriously, they needed to understand that blanket+lawn show does not equal imminent domain and invisible force fields. That put the ball in motion but later on as the urine from the guy behind me lapped against my ankles I decided never to do the lawn again.

On an aisde I have also determined that Dave Matthews is the new Jimmy Buffett. Half the people at the show don't really care about the show, it's just an excuse to get high and/or drunk. A Dave tour used to be an event because he didn't tour every year. Now it's an annual thing, go see Dave, plunk down big money, see same show as last year, go home. It's old and I'm done.

On an aisde I have also determined that Dave Matthews is the new Jimmy Buffett. Half the people at the show don't really care about the show, it's just an excuse to get high and/or drunk. A Dave tour used to be an event because he didn't tour every year. Now it's an annual thing, go see Dave, plunk down big money, see same show as last year, go home. It's old and I'm done.

I won't comment on the music, to each his own obviously. I'm not a huge fan. But Dave shows have mainly evolved into 17-year old kids getting drunk for the third time in their lives.

I love going to concerts and fully understand the getting high/drunk/tailgating aspect. Trust me, I enjoy those aspects too. But the whole reason I'm there is to see a show. I'm not there to stand in a parking lot or on a grass hill and talk to friends and lay on a blanket. It can definitely be annoying when the music is clearly secondary to a lot of people. Personally, I would get drunk and high, go to a parking lot, and put on the CD. It'd at least save $40 on a ticket.

I gotta admit, it's always funny to see "hippies" from Williamsville who drive home in dad's Land Rover.

I gave up concerts at Darin right after college, I had enough of that place. If I ever do go back, I'll be sitting in the 100 or 200's and staying at the hotel so I do have to deal with that thing they call a parking lot.

Next time spend the money and sit with the "normal" people not the riff-raff. I went to Iron Maiden a few weeks ago and had tenth row seats. Not one problem at all and I imagine the crowd is a little bit rowdier for IM than for Dave Matthews. As a matter of fact in the lawn section they started a bon fire and they were moshing around it for a good hour. Bruce Dickenson even mention the fire it was that big. I'm a big believer you get what you pay for.

Thats true, my brother even mentioned how he was getting annoyed hearing peoples conversations as the concert is going on. But its not just Daves shows that have become that way, almost any big concert I have been to on the Lawns is basically just an excuse for younger kids to go and get drunk and stoned in public, which is one thing I will never understand about concerts and events. I spend $40+ on a ticket, and then go and get drunk in the parking lot, only to get either more drunk, or stoned during the show and either be too wasted to remember it or pass out/get thrown out? I'm there to enjoy whatever it is I payed good money to see. If I wanted to do what they do, I would get some drinks and sit at home getting wasted with friends and pop in a Concert DVD/put on the sporting event, or go to a bar and watch it.

I am going to see Blues Traveller tonight, its free...for me, i plan on drinking alot, people watch...roam etc....planning on remembering it, but if i dont there will be people to fill me in :devil:

Thats true, my brother even mentioned how he was getting annoyed hearing peoples conversations as the concert is going on. But its not just Daves shows that have become that way, almost any big concert I have been to on the Lawns is basically just an excuse for younger kids to go and get drunk and stoned in public, which is one thing I will never understand about concerts and events. I spend $40+ on a ticket, and then go and get drunk in the parking lot, only to get either more drunk, or stoned during the show and either be too wasted to remember it or pass out/get thrown out? I'm there to enjoy whatever it is I payed good money to see. If I wanted to do what they do, I would get some drinks and sit at home getting wasted with friends and pop in a Concert DVD/put on the sporting event, or go to a bar and watch it.

Next time spend the money and sit with the "normal" people not the riff-raff. I went to Iron Maiden a few weeks ago and had tenth row seats. Not one problem at all and I imagine the crowd is a little bit rowdier for IM than for Dave Matthews. As a matter of fact in the lawn section they started a bon fire and they were moshing around it for a good hour. Bruce Dickenson even mention the fire it was that big. I'm a big believer you get what you pay for.

I know what you mean, but I have had lawns for many other shows and never has it been this bad. I had Lawns for Ozzfest at Darrien last year (because they were under $20) and the crowd was better, and many of them were pissed because almost everyone missed Dragonforce due to the crowds going from seeing Ozzy on the second stage, and then Dragonforce playing the main stage right after (also it took an hour to get through the food line). Its sad when an Ozzy/metal show has a better class of fans then a Dave Matthews show.

Usually I don't care where I sit because I'm there just for the show/music, so thats why I don't mind Lawns.

I know what you mean, but I have had lawns for many other shows and never has it been this bad. I had Lawns for Ozzfest at Darrien last year (because they were under $20) and the crowd was better, and many of them were pissed because almost everyone missed Dragonforce due to the crowds going from seeing Ozzy on the second stage, and then Dragonforce playing the main stage right after (also it took an hour to get through the food line). Its sad when an Ozzy/metal show has a better class of fans then a Dave Matthews show.

Usually I don't care where I sit because I'm there just for the show/music, so thats why I don't mind Lawns.

To tell you the truth I'm not suprised that metal fans are better behaved. Metal has been around a long time. At the Maiden show the average age was probably pushing 40, hell I'm pushing 50. When I mentioned I was going to see Maiden a kid (22) in my office have me a funny look. Maiden started touring when I was 22. It's people my age that were the original metal heads ya punk! :devil:

Saw Maiden in Toronto in March. Killer live show.

And yeah, metal fans are generally pretty well behaved.

Thats true, my brother even mentioned how he was getting annoyed hearing peoples conversations as the concert is going on. But its not just Daves shows that have become that way, almost any big concert I have been to on the Lawns is basically just an excuse for younger kids to go and get drunk and stoned in public, which is one thing I will never understand about concerts and events.

Most recent one I went to was a Jack Johnson concert (Dave was there) and it was great. Relaxed atmosphere, everyone friendly, totally into the music. A few idiots, but that happens anywhere and it was the exception. I think overall you're right though. Normally I would probably pay for the seats, but it wouldn't seem right for Jack. Think I would just rather not go.

Sounds like they had all sorts of trouble there last night:

Link

Shredd and Reagan were talking about that, 9 people arrested last night. The ones they were talking about in that article apparently wouldn't stop honking their horn after the show in the caos of the parking lot and when confronted tried to fight the ones confronting them, then one of them supposedly punched the kid who first told them to shut up with Brass knuckles.

I'd like to find out what happened with the truck and the girl though last night, something definitly went on, but no mention of an arrest

I won't comment on the music, to each his own obviously. I'm not a huge fan. But Dave shows have mainly evolved into 17-year old kids getting drunk for the third time in their lives.

I love going to concerts and fully understand the getting high/drunk/tailgating aspect. Trust me, I enjoy those aspects too. But the whole reason I'm there is to see a show. I'm not there to stand in a parking lot or on a grass hill and talk to friends and lay on a blanket. It can definitely be annoying when the music is clearly secondary to a lot of people. Personally, I would get drunk and high, go to a parking lot, and put on the CD. It'd at least save $40 on a ticket.

I gotta admit, it's always funny to see "hippies" from Williamsville who drive home in dad's Land Rover.

They're called "trustafarians"

To tell you the truth I'm not suprised that metal fans are better behaved. Metal has been around a long time. At the Maiden show the average age was probably pushing 40, hell I'm pushing 50. When I mentioned I was going to see Maiden a kid (22) in my office have me a funny look. Maiden started touring when I was 22. It's people my age that were the original metal heads ya punk! :lol:

Yeah, theres definitly a mixture at metal shows of older and younger people. Most metal shows you are expecting things like this to happen though, with guys drinking, getting tough and picking fights, although most will just get their aggression out in mosh pits (although thats mostly the younger kids). At a Dave matthews show, you don't expect fights or violence, you expect a bunch of hippies dancing high on whatever. But as the where saying on the radio, at their shows you get the Hippie group (young and old, although the young are mostly wanna-be hippies) and the college frat boy group with the popped collars and visors who go just to get wasted, all mixed with a small group of regular people who have come to just see a show with some music they like

Sounds to me like you are growing up!

Even when I was a teen and going to Bills Games, I didn't understand why someone would pay so much for a ticket and then get so drunk they couldn't remember the game.

I went to see the T-Hip a few years ago and it was horrible getting out of the parking lot. If you are anywhere near the back, you're in for a long wait. Took about 2 and a half hours to get back to Buffalo. The next year we saw Metallica and rented a camp site, that was definitely the way to go.

I had that realization about lawn seats about 4 years ago, also at a Dave show but this one was in Philly. There were a bunch of 19-20 year olds who had staked out a ridiculously huge area with blankets which isn't aproblme unto itself but they parked themselves immediately in front of the entance so they were in everyone's way. I, understanding the rules of lawn seats, cut through the blankets, not stepping on anything. The idiots basically throw themselves in my way, forcing me to step over them at which point an idiot kid with a way too tight t-shirt threatens to kick my ass. Well, I walk away because you know what. I'm not getting into a fight at a DAVE MATTHEWS concert. It was a completely inappropriate respionse for the venue. If it had been at a metal show the response would have made more sense. Dude, you're at a Dave show, calm the hell down. Seriously, they needed to understand that blanket+lawn show does not equal imminent domain and invisible force fields. That put the ball in motion but later on as the urine from the guy behind me lapped against my ankles I decided never to do the lawn again.

Falstaff...you talkin about the Tweeter (now Susquehanna Bank) Center in Camden? The last lawn seats I ever got there were about 3-4 years ago for a Blink-182/No Doubt show. What topped off the experience was that, in a moment of genius, somebody running that venue decided that they would no longer be renting those $5 chairs. Fair enough...I've seen people abuse that privilege. But then they couple that with this amazing rule: NO BLANKETS!! :thumbsup::wallbash: :wallbash: So basically you were forced to sit on the GRASS unless you had some sort of bag to use as a seat. Of course it starts drizzling a little making it all the ever more pleasant.

They quickly did away with that policy, but I've been lawn free since then unless I'm with a big group. Actually went and saw Pearl Jam last friday. Great show. And always a pleasure to stroll through Camden at midnight on the way back to my car. They've done such wonderful things with that area. :wallbash:

Falstaff...you talkin about the Tweeter (now Susquehanna Bank) Center in Camden? The last lawn seats I ever got there were about 3-4 years ago for a Blink-182/No Doubt show. What topped off the experience was that, in a moment of genius, somebody running that venue decided that they would no longer be renting those $5 chairs. Fair enough...I've seen people abuse that privilege. But then they couple that with this amazing rule: NO BLANKETS!! :thumbsup::wallbash: :wallbash: So basically you were forced to sit on the URINE SODDEN DIRT unless you had some sort of bag to use as a seat. Of course it starts drizzling a little making it all the ever more pleasant.

They quickly did away with that policy, but I've been lawn free since then unless I'm with a big group. Actually went and saw Pearl Jam last friday. Great show. And always a pleasure to stroll through Camden at midnight on the way back to my car. They've done such wonderful things with that area. :wallbash:

Yep, that's the venue. Never again. As for the walk through Camden I guess it depends where you park. I worked in Camden for 4 years and the area right around the Tweeter is heavily policed, but if you go past the coffee warehouse you're on your own. And so long as you stay on the main rods out you're fine. Everytime I've been down there the cops block the roads to PREVENT you from trying to take a shortcut through the 'Hood. I personally observed police in ski masks and MP5s break in a door about 4 blocks from there. Part of my job was to ride a van picking up kids for the program I worked at, the kid lived one block up and this unfolded right in front of us at 8:30am. Good times.

Also, fixed your post a bit.