Anyone get this?

DeeRay

In the second quarter, the Bills, going into a stiff wind were facing a 4th and 11 on the Dolphins 25 yard line. They elected to attempt a field goal (43 yards) rather than going for it on 4th down.

I thought it was a "no brainer to go for it for two reasons....

1) Lindell is maybe 50/50 to hit a 43 yarder on a good day, and I've got no confidence that he can hit one like that with a stiff wind in his face....

2) Even if you just hand the ball off and get nowhere, it's harder for a team to drive 75 yards than 67 yards...

As fate would have it, Mularkey sends in Lindell to miss a 43 yarder and give possesion to Miami on the Buffalo 33 and then allowed them to drive 67 yards for a TD.

I realize that the ensuing drive by the Dolphins may not have had a different outcome than if they'd started that drive at the 25 rather than the 33. But, I still don't think Mularkey made the right decision by sending Lindell in. Anyone else question this move?

In the second quarter, the Bills, going into a stiff wind were facing a 4th and 11 on the Dolphins 25 yard line.  They elected to attempt a field goal (43 yards) rather than going for it on 4th down.

I thought it was a "no brainer to go for it for two reasons....

1) Lindell is maybe 50/50 to hit a 43 yarder on a good day, and I've got no confidence that he can hit one like that with a stiff wind in his face....

2) Even if you just hand the ball off and get nowhere, it's harder for a team to drive 75 yards than 67 yards...

As fate would have it, Mularkey sends in Lindell to miss a 43 yarder and give possesion to Miami on the Buffalo 33 and then allowed them to drive 67 yards for a TD.

I realize that the ensuing drive by the Dolphins may not have had a different outcome than if they'd started that drive at the 25 rather than the 33.  But, I still don't think Mularkey made the right decision by sending Lindell in.  Anyone else question this move?

73975[/snapback]

Nope, it was the right move. Getting 11 yards on one play is *very* difficult. A 43 yarder into the wind is much less difficult, and would give you points. As it was, he almost made it -- just a bit short and wide. I didn't question the move at all.

Now if it were 4th and 4 from the same location, then maybe you think about going for it. But not 4th and 11. A potential 3 points was worth more than the potential loss of 7 yards of field position IMHO.

CW

As it was, he almost made it -- just a bit short and wide.

73979[/snapback]

I don't know how the view was on TV, but he wasn't even close to getting it to the uprights due to the wind. I had a perfect side view in section 238, the ball once it got about 5-10 yards from the goal posts, just stopped, then started going backwards and down.

I don't know how the view was on TV, but he wasn't even close to getting it to the uprights due to the wind. I had a perfect view in section 238, the ball once it got about 5-10 yards from the goal posts, just stopped, then started going backwards and down.

74048[/snapback]

It looked that way on TV, too. Lindell is iffy in ideal conditions, let alone bad ones. I was not happy with the call. I would have preferred a draw to WM...get some yards, maybe catch the felons off guard. If it's not a first down, so be it. Let your 'D' have a few more yards to work with...don't give an additional 7 for an almost guaranteed missed FG attempt.

Even if you just hand the ball off and get nowhere, it's harder for a team to drive 75 yards than 67 yards...

8 yards of field position (or 12 if they punt into the end zone) is not much of big deal. Well worth the shot at 3 points.

Lindell is a shaky kicker to start, but with the wind the way it was yesterday, there was little to no chance he'd make that kick.

74079[/snapback]

That was my thought too when I saw them come out for the try. I was hoping it would be a trick play where Brian would pick it up and run.

I assumed the practiced before the game and knew what they were dealing with regarding the wind, which was brutal.

In general I think they need to let Lindell kick, and maybe fail, rather than choose not to kick, fearing he'd fail. It it gets to that vote of no confidence, I think they need to find another kicker regardless of salary cap implications.

The problem w/ assessing his chances were that sometimes the wind kills kicks, sometimes it doesn't.

That particular kick had NO chance of making it. It had a slight draw to it like most good kicks, but then the wind just stopped it & push it back right. It landed about 3 yards in the EZ, so it was 10 yds short. By all appearances, it was a good kick.

You give the guy a do-over & maybe that gust isn't there, or maybe he's able to get better contact & maybe it makes it.

You've gotta believe it was a VERY low probablity kick. As someone mentioned, 4th & 4 you go for. Punting from the 25 (he's got to contend w/ the wind, too. & also consider that wind effects his drop, ergo his consistency.) doesn't make much sense. So you gamble & hope he makes it. Bear in mind, you're facing the worst offense in the NFL.

That "gust" was there all day long. I know because I was sitting at the east end of the stadium. Nobody was going to make a 43-yarder at the west end yesterday.

I don't think punting made any sense either. But a draw to McGahee would have been my choice. Ten extra yards of field position makes a difference, especially considering Miami was going with the wind.

What if a gust picked up the snap and sent it over Moorman's head? In my mind there was a bigger likelihood of that happening than there was of Lindell making that kick.

I was questioning that move also. There was really no chance in hell

Lindell makes that kick especially into the wind.

I think our conversion chances were probably better than kicking a field goal

and even if we don' tmake it, there is the field position issue.

Did not like the call.

Did not like throwing the ball on 2nd and six either later in the game.

Nope, it was the right move.  Getting 11 yards on one play is *very* difficult.  A 43 yarder into the wind is much less difficult, and would give you points.  As it was, he almost made it -- just a bit short and wide.  I didn't question the move at all.

Now if it were 4th and 4 from the same location, then maybe you think about going for it.  But not 4th and 11.  A potential 3 points was worth more than the potential loss of 7 yards of field position IMHO.

CW

73979[/snapback]

What about option #3? Punt the damn ball in that situation. Keep field position in your favor. Instead, we give miami a short field.

It was a bad call on a good day.

It was a no brainer.

I hate to break it to you know it alls but Mularkey is a very smart coach and knows what he is doing.

74268[/snapback]

Lindell is < 50 % outside the 40. What do you think those odds drop to

into the wind on a very windy day?

25 %. Maybe.

What about option #3?  Punt the damn ball in that situation.  Keep field position in your favor.  Instead, we give miami a short field. 

It was a bad call on a good day.

74266[/snapback]

Punt the ball from your own 25? Umm... No. I'll take my 25% chance at points instead of my 5% change that I gain more than 5 yards of field position on a punt. :w00t:

CW

Punt the ball from your own 25?  Umm...  No.  I'll take my 25% chance at points instead of my 5% change that I gain more than 5 yards of field position on a punt. :w00t:

CW

74282[/snapback]

I wouldn't have minded seeing a pooch punt by Lindell in that situation. Line up like it's a FG attempt and just pooch it 15 yards down field...there was no way in hell that FG was going to be made, even with a good kicker.