Jason Peters

bernie

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3437279

Bills left tackle Peters a no-show for mandatory minicamp

Associated Press

Updated: June 11, 2008, 1:22 PM ET

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters will be fined by the Buffalo Bills after missing the start of the team's three-day mandatory minicamp Wednesday over what's being described as a contract dispute.

"It's a decision he's made and he'll be fined," coach Dick Jauron said, adding he was surprised Peters failed to show up. Jauron declined to say whether he or the Bills' front office have spoken with Peters, who had missed all 13 of the team's voluntary sessions over the past month, the only Bills player who didn't attend at least one practice.

Peters' agent, Vincent Taylor, declined to comment on his client's status during a brief interview Tuesday with The Associated Press. Taylor was not immediately available on Wednesday and it was not known how much he'll be fined.

(more)

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. Staying out of some of the OTAs to get your point across, and then having your agent approach the Bills' front office to discuss a renegotiation, would have been the right way.

Skipping mandatory practices and having your agent play the silent game is the wrong way.

I still believe Peters is underpaid and the Bills should move to correct that, but I'm disappointed in the way he and his agent have gone about this.

Buffalo took a chance on Peters when no other NFL team wanted him. I think it's fair to say he owes his career and the fact he's making 3.25M this year to them.

There's a small part of me that wants the Bills to say "tough sh|t", we have you for the next 3 years if you don't want to play, then sit for the next 3 years.

I wonder what that would do to his market value after that 3rd season of not playing?

NOW... I don't think that Peters would realistically do that, but my point is a holdout isn't much of a threat when you still have 3 years on your contract. There's no way Peters doesn't report at some point.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. Staying out of some of the OTAs to get your point across, and then having your agent approach the Bills' front office to discuss a renegotiation, would have been the right way.

Skipping mandatory practices and having your agent play the silent game is the wrong way.

I still believe Peters is underpaid and the Bills should move to correct that, but I'm disappointed in the way he and his agent have gone about this.

Buffalo took a chance on Peters when no other NFL team wanted him. I think it's fair to say he owes his career and the fact he's making 3.25M this year to them.

If Peters whipped out a gun or mowed down a pedestrian you would probably advocate giving him a 100 million dollar contract. :thumbsup::(

I think each party needs to give a little in this case...........

Buffalo took a shot on Jason Peters when noone in the NFL would.......

Jason Peters has protected our QB's blind side very well ever since hes played LT......

So they both need to find the happy medium and just make both sides happy......

I do think Peters deserves to be the highest paid OL on our team.

I think each party needs to give a little in this case...........

Buffalo took a shot on Jason Peters when noone in the NFL would.......

Jason Peters has protected our QB's blind side very well ever since hes played LT......

So they both need to find the happy medium and just make both sides happy......

I do think Peters deserves to be the highest paid OL on our team.

i agree that he SHOULD be the highest paid. but he has already been given a renegotiation and substantial raise in his SHORT career.

he will become the highest paid when he plays out more of his contract that HE signed.

god i really really hate professional sports. football especially. stupid frickin CBA that gave all the power in the league to the agents...

when does college ball start?

If Peters whipped out a gun or mowed down a pedestrian you would probably advocate giving him a 100 million dollar contract. :thumbsup::)

At least. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll molest someone this weekend. :(

Good, he deserves to be fined. The Bills shouldn't budge an inch at this time. When Peters signed his last contract he was happy, now that he had a good year he wants to extort another contract? Tell him to beat it. If he continues to have another great year and remains healthy then the Bills should sit down and re-exam the situation but until then Peters should play to what he agreed to. If he refuses then tax his @$$ and set an example for the rest of the team. The only difference between Peters and the Chad Johnson situation is that Jason isn't going public and acting like a retard. I applaud Mike Brown and the Bengals on how they stuck to their guns and didn't relent to Johnson's demands. Like I said, not much difference between the two except the publicity aspect.

I thought he would have shown up for the mandatoriy stuff. We don't need this.

This could wind up being remniscent of a couple years ago when Walter Jones would hold out all camp and not show up until Week 1 and then play the whole season and dominate.

Besides, he's set top make like $3.5-$4 million on the year, and I think if he makes the Pro Bowl again, then the Bills will lock him up with a monster deal next offseason.

good news.....he'll show up eventually, and be short some cash for it......he's not getting good advice from his agent and this could ultimately hurt him more then help him

the logic is lost on me as well.

"you want MORE money, so do something that will only COST you money"

i dont follow.

Does anybody know anything about the reputation of Peters' agent, Vincent Taylor? I couldn't find anything by Googling him. I've got a sneaking suspicion he may not be the most seasoned of representatives -- which can cause problems in situations such as this.

I applaud the Bills for the fine, that's exactly what they should do.

I'm not that concerned about Peters holding out, yet.

After all this is only a mini-camp, and we still have a good 5 or 6 weeks until training camp starts.

However Peters and his agent are not helping the matter by staying silent.

If Peters wants to renegotiate, then he should be talking to Russ Brandon.

Communication is a good thing. Silence will get you nowhere.

Good, he deserves to be fined. The Bills shouldn't budge an inch at this time. When Peters signed his last contract he was happy, now that he had a good year he wants to extort another contract? Tell him to beat it. If he continues to have another great year and remains healthy then the Bills should sit down and re-exam the situation but until then Peters should play to what he agreed to. If he refuses then tax his @$$ and set an example for the rest of the team. The only difference between Peters and the Chad Johnson situation is that Jason isn't going public and acting like a retard. I applaud Mike Brown and the Bengals on how they stuck to their guns and didn't relent to Johnson's demands. Like I said, not much difference between the two except the publicity aspect.

I'm disgusted with him and he should be forced to sit the next three years.

On a completely unrelated topic, does anyone know where I can find an authenitc Kirk Chambers jersey? The Bills store doesn't seem to carry them.

Does anybody know anything about the reputation of Peters' agent, Vincent Taylor? I couldn't find anything by Googling him. I've got a sneaking suspicion he may not be the most seasoned of representatives -- which can cause problems in situations such as this.

Again it strikes me as one of the costs of the young player movement the Bills have invested in.

It made sense certainly to move beyond players who were on the backside of their careers like Fletch or were hobbled by past injury like TKO. However, the downside that accompanies this positive is that when your internal team leaders are guys like Fletch who was an ordained minister or TKO who teamed with Troy Vincent to start an Ivy-league school based MBA program are gone.

Likely idiots like the agent Taylor you could find no info on are now the leading voices which the young talented players like Peters hear all the time. Like it or not these "men" who are young Pro Bowlers are adults certainly but young adults who have lived their lives being told when to exercise, when to sleep, what to eat and simply have been coddled all their lives and told how great they were.

It is not surprising that with the Bills having cut older players who got their big contracts or Pro Bowl adulation but generally were seen as high character guys that their young studs seem to be falling prey to bad advice.

If part of the Bills thinking was that in cleaning house of the older players was that they would have no competition in training the young players in the Bills way, then they are in for a rude awakening as in the US today its all about Windows ME and what is in it for me.

We live in a modern age which is so addicted to buying stuff now and satisfying our individual desires that ideas like teamwork or the interests of others are secondary.

Folks are interested in sincerity but once they learn to fake that they feel like they have it made.