Matt Jones could get cut by the Jags

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dom Hasek sucked in Chicago, Danny Briere sucked in Phoenix, Jimmy Smith flopped in Dallas, Brett Favre was not wanted in Atlanta.....players never benefit from a change of scenary :D

I bet Michael Vick would like a change of scenery.

Imagine the possibilities with 6'-6" Hardy and the 6'-6" Jones on the same side in the redzone. Jones doesn't have great hands, but what if when the ball is snapped Hardy gets on Jones' shoulders and Trent just lofts one up to Hardy???

Together they could be one unstoppable 12'-12" Wide Receiver!!!!

Get er done Marv! :D

Hey, he went to college with Jason Peters, therefore, he's probably exactly like him. I say put some weight on him, convert him to TE, add some more, have him play occasionally DT on special teams, and then top him off and send him over to right tackle.

Can he play RB too when Marshawn is in jail?

According to Rotoworld.com.

"Matt Jones has not been running among the Jaguars' top four wide receivers during Organized Team Activities. Troy Williamson is a fourth receiver at the moment and will be pushed by Mike Walker, who recently got healthy. Jags.com writer Vic Ketchman expects the team to keep five receivers. It doesn't look like Jones will be one of them."

For the most part, Jones has been pretty underwhelming. Only showing off his true potential just about once a year. Week 17 2007 8-138 1TD, Week 13 2006 6-128 1TD, Week 10 2005 5-117 1TD.

If he gets released, anyone think we should give him a look as our 5th receiver? You know, the whole "new team, new chance" cliche.

At 6-6, 232 and still only 25 years old, he would create even greater mismatches with Hardy in the red zone. And a 4 WR set of Evens, Hardy, Parrish and Jones would create speed and size mismatches all over the field.

Just a thought.

Who wants to be the first one to write the obligitory "I've heard of him" reply?

To be the 4th or 5th reciever he has to be able to play special teams. Where is he going to play? Gunner? Returner? There is not a spot for him here, hes tall and athletic. Thats about it. Ill pass

To be the 4th or 5th reciever he has to be able to play special teams. Where is he going to play? Gunner? Returner? There is not a spot for him here, hes tall and athletic. Thats about it. Ill pass

why can't he be a gunner?

Jenkins and Greer are two of the best in the league, Why we should mess that up for a underachiever?

I give Jenkins and Greer that. But it never hurts to take a look at a player. Athleticism is a big factor in special teams and Jones has that in spades. Why not bring him in for an interview and work him out? Competition is a good thing. Maybe Jones brings out the best in Steve Johnson and Josh Reed- or maybe those guys push Jones into becoming a player. If Jones can't hack special teams, we cut him in training camp. Makes sense to me

I give Jenkins and Greer that. But it never hurts to take a look at a player. Athleticism is a big factor in special teams and Jones has that in spades. Why not bring him in for an interview and work him out? Competition is a good thing. Maybe Jones brings out the best in Steve Johnson and Josh Reed- or maybe those guys push Jones into becoming a player. If Jones can't hack special teams, we cut him in training camp. Makes sense to me

Besides, we've got more than enough tall and athletic guys.

Wait... :D

I watched him play early in Jax and thought he would be a very good pro. If he were available last year, he'd have been better than anything else we had, sans Evans.

I would definitely love to see the Bills to take a chance on Jones. Consider that it takes most receivers about 3 years to adjust to the NFL game. Moulds was thought of as a bust at one time. Jones has never played receiver in his life and still put some decent numbers on a run-first team. I'd be all over Jones if he was available.

Well put. The only thing I'd add is no guarantees for him. He has to prove himself with no risk to the team. Two year, heavily incentive laden deal. Unfortunately, A LOT of teams will be all over Jones if he's cut and that competition will lead to him getting guarantees he does not deserve. Too much excess cap room nowadays.

Why stop there? If 30 lbs makes him a TE, which we have a bunch of average ones already, we could have him add 45 and be the backup LT! We need more line depth, right?

they are already doing that with Matt Murphy.

The LT backup problem has been solved