Jason Peters

Peters signed when he was a young and potentially upcoming RT. Now, he's a pro-bowl LT. The pay scale is a bit different. The Bills arent going anywhere without him there, so pay the man.

I'd rather have peters for his remaining 3 years plus a 5 year extension @ 50 mil, than have peters pissed off for the final 3 years and watch him leave when his contract is up. Not to mention the bad precedent this will set for the rest of the team. They signed schobel last season, which was a wise move. This offseason, PEters and Evans should both get big money contracts, followed by Crowell.

Evans needs a new contract his situation is entirely different because of the expiration date but Peters is another story.

So let's say next year we go 10-6. 8-9 players agents call and say no way we play under the existing deal. Bills say no can do, we would be out of cap room.. Agents reply in unison "baloney you did for Peters."

Bills reply "we like Peters better than you"? result Locker room becomes a 3 ring circus.

The old way was pretty simple. Sorry we don't renegotiate contracts until the year before they expire. NO EXCEPTIONS even if we have a man crush on you.

What would Peters give us more years? That would be meaningless. He could do the same thing again.

How would you ever build a championship when there is a cap?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course he's dissatisfied with his contract -- he's much better than what he's paid, and far better than the bevy of first-round rookies who will be earning more than him in a couple of months. Unfortunately for the Bills, he's one of the best LTs in the game, and good LTs are hard to come by. He holds the cards. Pay the man.

Of course he's dissatisfied with his contract -- he's much better than what he's paid, and far better than the bevy of first-round rookies who will be earning more than him in a couple of months. Unfortunately for the Bills, he's one of the best LTs in the game, and good LTs are hard to come by. He holds the cards. Pay the man.

I agree. We can easily fit him under the cap. We need him fully gruntled.

I agree. We can easily fit him under the cap. We need him fully gruntled.

I really like Jason Peters. I think he should get a raise and he will .....eventually.

The answer this year is no Jason we don't do that!

I really like Jason Peters. I think he should get a raise and he will .....eventually.

The answer this year is no Jason we don't do that!

He's a damn pro bowl left tackle. This isnt like terrance mcgee or josh reed wantig a new deal. Its a friggin cornerstone of any good franchise. you pay him regardless, keep him happy, and keep other players happy too when they see we have a plan to hang onto our top players.

Its a no brainer. How many pro boel LTs are out there? not too many. lock him up and get him a new deal.

Unfortunately for the Bills, he's one of the best LTs in the game, and good LTs are hard to come by. He holds the cards. Pay the man.

"Unfortunately?" If anything, the Bills are very fortunate to have him, and to be able to keep him (new contract or franchise tag).

If the 2 most important positions on the team are QB and LT - then a smart team will have quality backups in place so the team does not totally collapse if there is an injury.

Losman is a quaolity backup at QB.

They have no backup at LT - for which they would not have to change their whole offense so their Qb does not get killed.

Chmabers is a turnstyle

So name a few. Be specific. Which teams have quality backup LTs on their rosters. Shouldn't be such a tough exercise.

"Unfortunately?" If anything, the Bills are very fortunate to have him, and to be able to keep him (new contract or franchise tag).

uh Peters is under contract for the next 3 years plus. His choice is to play or retire.

theres still a bunch of us waiting for you to list all of the teams that have quality backups at LT.

So name a few. Be specific. Which teams have quality backup LTs on their rosters. Shouldn't be such a tough exercise.

Don't even try guys, he just ignores people who make logical posts.

p.s. Why is it that LSI gets banned for making 400 posts about ST players, but this clown gets to stick around after 400 posts of "Jason Peters WILL get hurt, and we have no backup LT."?

Don't even try guys, he just ignores people who make logical posts.

p.s. Why is it that LSI gets banned for making 400 posts about ST players, but this clown gets to stick around after 400 posts of "Jason Peters WILL get hurt, and we have no backup LT."?

A question a whole buncha people are asking...

The Bills hold all the cards here. Jason has completed 2 years of a 6 year deal. He may deserve more money, but there is no reason to rip up his contract now. He is not going anywhere, and has no leverage. What is he going to do - sit out the year? 2 years? He will still be under contract to the Bills in the NFL. If anything, they should promise him a renegotiation after this year, or perhaps offer a bonus clause as an adder if he makes the pro bowl, starts X games, etc. This kind of posturing by players, this complete lack of respect for his committment as represented by the contract he signed, is sickening. I can certainy understand he feels underpaid, but how about a little repect for your team mates, if not to the club that took a chance on you when no one else would, and taught you how to play NFL football.

The Bills hold all the cards here. Jason has completed 2 years of a 6 year deal. He may deserve more money, but there is no reason to rip up his contract now. He is not going anywhere, and has no leverage. What is he going to do - sit out the year? 2 years? He will still be under contract to the Bills in the NFL. If anything, they should promise him a renegotiation after this year, or perhaps offer a bonus clause as an adder if he makes the pro bowl, starts X games, etc. This kind of posturing by players, this complete lack of respect for his committment as represented by the contract he signed, is sickening. I can certainy understand he feels underpaid, but how about a little repect for your team mates, if not to the club that took a chance on you when no one else would, and taught you how to play NFL football.

Newsflash: His teammates wouldn't agree with you. I doubt you'd be able to find a guy in that room who wouldn't be on Peters' side in this one. No matter how fans look at it...

No one wins by Peters holding out or the Bills not paying him.

I say they sit him down and tell him "We'll see after this year. We know you are worth it, but if we give you more money now EVERYONE on the team who feels underpaid will start demanding that their deals get redone."

It's sets a bad precedent for the front office. If they cave without a fight, it'll start a real bad trend. If they work something out that's good for both sides: everybody wins.

I say they sit him down and tell him "We'll see after this year. We know you are worth it, but if we give you more money now EVERYONE on the team who feels underpaid will start demanding that their deals get redone."

It's sets a bad precedent for the front office. If they cave without a fight, it'll start a real bad trend. If they work something out that's good for both sides: everybody wins.

At this point I don't think there is any player on the Bills that is worth for re-doing his contract.

Peters was signed to a contract to play RT full time. The Bills shuffled him around to the LT position and he showed them that he is a star at that position. It is time for the Bills to show faith in him and reward this budding player.

The only other player who will come close to re-negotiating a deal would be Whitner. Unless Whitner moves to a more demanding position like the "Free" safety like Polamalu or Bob Sanders, he knows the Bills paid him his bills when he signed that rookie contract and his time will come soon....

For Gods sake, Peters made the pro-bowl, something not many have done here with the bills.

No one wins by Peters holding out or the Bills not paying him.

The Bills hold most of the leverage here, with 3 years remaining on his deal -- that said, they should give Peters a bump. After overpaying for Dockery, he's not even the highest paid player on the line and he has a legitimate reason to be pissed.

Perhaps this will teach Overdorf a lesson -- when you overpay mediocre players like Kelsay and Dockery, the players who actually DO deserve the coin (Schobel & Peters) will ask for more.