Vehicle question for the MEN of TBD

RayFinkle

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car payment ?

gas payment ?

I will keep puting money in the gas tank rather than a car payment . I want to keep the trailblazer for 4 more years . Hope by then they will have a large SUV that gets 35 - 40 mpg .

I almost bought the Patriot but believe it or not I (6'6) fit more comfortably in the Compass....Mine is a FWD.

A nice purchase.

4 wheel discs, anti-lock brakes, brake assist, air bags all around, anti-skid. These things are loaded - standard - with the contemporary safety features at rock-bottom prices.

One thing I can say is listen to the advice I got from the thread I started about buying a car. That advice is to NEVER walk into a car dealership to negotiate the price. What I did was go to Edmunds.com, and pick the model and trim I wanted. Then, at the bottom of the screen, it will show you all the local dealers and you put in your name and phone # and any comments. Do NOT put your real phone. They have the advantage on the phone. I put in the comments "this isn't my real phone #. Contact me by email. I have sent this same message to AutoPlace Nissan, Mike Barney Nissan and West Herr Nissan. I will go with the one of you that will offer me the best price".

After that, the emails fly in. I narrowed it down to Mike Barney and WestHerr. Long story short, after about 15 emails, the Mike Barney salesman said, the ABSOLUTE lowest lease payment he could get me, Tier 1, 12,000 miles, 39 months, with the exact trim I wanted, with NOTHING down but first payment, was $443. I gave these numbers to West Herr, who quoted me $413, SAME exact details. I told this to the guy at Mike Barney who said "That's impossible. He must be including taxes in the down payment. We know all their deals, and they CANNOT beat us." I called West Herr and told him that. He sent me a fax quote with the details and $413. I forwarded that to Mike Barney. Exactly 15 minutes later, the guy from Mike Barney emailed me and said "Steve! I was able to re-work some numbers and can get you in at $416. If West Herr adds ANY money to your quote, promise me you'll come to us?" (he actually said "promise me you'll come to us?")

So, 15 minutes prior, it was absolutely impossible to go lower than $443 and he worked those numbers and took off $27.

Needless to say, I'll be visiting West Herr next week.

One thing I can say is listen to the advice I got from the thread I started about buying a car. That advice is to NEVER walk into a car dealership to negotiate the price. What I did was go to Edmunds.com, and pick the model and trim I wanted. Then, at the bottom of the screen, it will show you all the local dealers and you put in your name and phone # and any comments. Do NOT put your real phone. They have the advantage on the phone. I put in the comments "this isn't my real phone #. Contact me by email. I have sent this same message to AutoPlace Nissan, Mike Barney Nissan and West Herr Nissan. I will go with the one of you that will offer me the best price".

After that, the emails fly in. I narrowed it down to Mike Barney and WestHerr. Long story short, after about 15 emails, the Mike Barney salesman said, the ABSOLUTE lowest lease payment he could get me, Tier 1, 12,000 miles, 39 months, with the exact trim I wanted, with NOTHING down but first payment, was $443. I gave these numbers to West Herr, who quoted me $413, SAME exact details. I told this to the guy at Mike Barney who said "That's impossible. He must be including taxes in the down payment. We know all their deals, and they CANNOT beat us." I called West Herr and told him that. He sent me a fax quote with the details and $413. I forwarded that to Mike Barney. Exactly 15 minutes later, the guy from Mike Barney emailed me and said "Steve! I was able to re-work some numbers and can get you in at $416. If West Herr adds ANY money to your quote, promise me you'll come to us?" (he actually said "promise me you'll come to us?")

So, 15 minutes prior, it was absolutely impossible to go lower than $443 and he worked those numbers and took off $27.

What happened to the scooter? I can quote you a price of $97 a month.......NOBODY beats that bottom line!

What happened to the scooter? I can quote you a price of $97 a month.......NOBODY beats that bottom line!

I'm gonna throw that B word in the back of my SUV. It will be like a scaled down version of Knight Rider's KITT driving into the back of the semi.

so it IS true that guys with big trucks/SUVs are compensating. ive never seen anyone openly admit it before.

I have often found the most road ragey people have been guys driving their families in minivans and whatnot. I don't understand why one would put their family at risk to prove their manhood.

Oh, sorry. Anyway, I love the thing. 34 mpg and I can haul most of the stuff I need to (bike, bags of mulch from home depot, etc). Plus the stereo has a direct input for my Sirius (or an iPod).

I'm sure the car is nice and has all the features...when Ed bought his, he referred to it as a metrosexual machine...you can figure out how it got ugly.

I just bought a new car a couple of weeks ago and I went with a car broker. You still have to walk into the dealer to take a test drive but I only took one because I knew pretty much what I was looking for. I'll never use a dealer again.

I just bought a new car a couple of weeks ago and I went with a car broker. You still have to walk into the dealer to take a test drive but I only took one because I knew pretty much what I was looking for. I'll never use a dealer again.

What are you guys talking about? They put the price of the car on a nice sticker and put it right on the windshield. Nice and easy. I've NEVER paid more than the sticker price for a car.

eh? go to Edmunds.com, find out the invoice price (including invoice of options). Dealers never pay invoice anyway. Find out if there any manufacturers incentives and subtract that from the invoice price. Then go into the dealership and offer $1.5-2k below that and ask them to waive any dealer/transport "fees." Get their counter offer and call it into another dealership. Play them against each other until you get the price you want. I do that over the phone with great results. It's so much better than going into the dealership since you can simply hang up anytime if you want. I've never paid more than $1k below invoice (Honda, Toyota and Subaru)...though I guess that only works with non-luxury cars. A BMW/Lexus dealer would probably smile and tell me, "good luck...bye now."

oh...and if they want to put a sticker or some sort of dealer name and address on the back of your car, ask for another $100 off for the free advertising they're getting...otherwise, make them remove it.

eh? go to Edmunds.com, find out the invoice price (including invoice of options). Dealers never pay invoice anyway. Find out if there any manufacturers incentives and subtract that from the invoice price. Then go into the dealership and offer $1.5-2k below that and ask them to waive any dealer/transport "fees." Get their counter offer and call it into another dealership. Play them against each other until you get the price you want. I do that over the phone with great results. It's so much better than going into the dealership since you can simply hang up anytime if you want. I've never paid more than $1k below invoice (Honda, Toyota and Subaru)...though I guess that only works with non-luxury cars. A BMW/Lexus dealer would probably smile and tell me, "good luck...bye now."

oh...and if they want to put a sticker or some sort of dealer name and address on the back of your car, ask for another $100 off for the free advertising they're getting...otherwise, make them remove it.

I work with a guy (kid) who went to a Lexus dealer and was hagling with them for a price. He told them "I don't want to pay more than $400 per month." Guy told him, "son, why don't you just go buy yourself a Taurus."