BILLS POTENTIAL 53 MAN ROSTER

BILLS 53 - With Brief writeup of each player

Here's my guess as of right now

1. Trent Edwards - good at spreading the ball around, but needs to improve long ball to keep defenses honest

2. JP Losman - has the tools, at times he can be good, but he also can make too many mistakes

3. Marshawn Lynch - Good Tough, physical runner, still could improve a bit in blitz pickup & getting open in receiving game

4. Fred Jackson - Solid Backup, underrated. Could play a bit tougher though

5. Dwayne Wright - Will fight with Oman as 3rd RB on roster.

6. Darian Barnes - Veteran FB. Experience may help him make team, but needs a good offseason to make roster

7. Mike Viti - Will open up holes for Marshawn. How quick can he learn the offense?

8. Lee Evans - Keeps defenses honest. Hands did not appear to be as good last season compared to previous seasons

9. James Hardy - A TD machine in college, Needs to play well on the field & be good off the field

10. Roscoe Parrish - Great return man. Can make plays as a WR. Needs to do better at beating the Jam & get open more

11. Josh Reed - Hands are good. Runs good routes. Needs to improve quickness & speed to get open.

12. Steve Johnson - Another red zone option, but needs to get alot stronger to get off the line in the NFL

13. Robert Royal - Decent blocker but needs to improve his overall receiving game

14. Derek Fine - Good at special teams. Has short area quickness but lacks speed. How quick can he learn the offense?

15. Derek Schouman - Good short area quickness. Could play a little FB. Needs to do well to keep roster spot

16. Teyo Johnson - Has the speed to get down the deep middle. He's tall too. Is he good enough to play in the NFL?

17. Jason Peters - Got to pro bowl but still could get even better. Would like to see him dominate more in running game

18. Langston Walker - Played solid but there is room for improvement

19. Derrick Dockery - Paid like a probowler but hasn't played like one yet

20. Brad Butler - Played well for 1st year starter but needs play with better leverage

21. Melvin Fowler - Smart player. Needs to get stronger & play more more physical

22. Kirk Chambers - Good enough to be 3rd OT on this roster. Needs to improve footwork.

23. Duke Preston - Backup at OG & C. Has starting experience. Needs to improve overall game. Needs be more physical

24. Robert Felton - Can play anywhere on line, but better inside. Needs to improve technique & footwork

25. Demetrius Bell - Athletic OT. Lacks experience & strength. Needs to get way stronger & improve technique

26. Aaron Schobel - Numbers were up vs run last season while sacks were down. Needs to hit QB harder

27. Chris Kelsay - Plays Ok vs run. Needs to get to QB more. Needs to create more fumbles. Needs to hit QB harder

28. Marcus Stroud - Pushes the pocket. Good overall game. Can he get back to a pro bowl level?

29. John McCargo -Makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. Needs to make more tackles overall.Needs more consistancy

30. Spencer Johnson - Solid overall depth player who can play anywhere on the line. Needs to improve overall game

31. Kyle Williams - Solid backup. Needs to improve quickness & pass rush

32. Chris Ellis - Got QB pressures in college. Needs to improve vs run. Needs to get stronger & improve on technique

33. Ryan Denney -Has experience. Needs to maintain leverage & improve as a pass rusher.May become 4th DE this season

34. Angelo Crowell - Had best season in '07. Can he do it again?

35. Kawika Mitchell - Played well down the stretch last season. Can he be a playmaker here?

36. Paul Pozluszny - Played well before injury last season. Can he play up to the hype?

37. John DiGiorgio - Did well last season but lack of size makes him better as a backup

38. Alvin Bowen - Made alot of tackles in college. Lacks size & speed. Likely a special teamer in year 1 in the NFL

39. Keith Ellison - Quick & may be used in some passing downs. Bad vs Run. Underachieved as starter last season

40. Blake Costanzo - Good at Special teams. Needs to show something at LB to remain on roster

41. Leodis McKelvin - Solid cover CB with quick feet. Needs to improve instincts & hands. Needs to get stronger too.

42. Terrence McGee -Decent starting CB & good returner. Good vs run. Lacks height vs big WR.Gives up too many catches

43. William James - Tall CB to match up against tall WR. Can he play well enough to start?

44. Jabari Greer - Did well in coverage but still gave up too many catches. Lacks the bulk to do well vs run.

45. Reggie Corner - A ballhawk in college. Can he do it in the pro's?. Undersized. Needs to get stronger & improve vs run

46. Donte Whitner - Solid overall player. Can he ever get to a pro bowl level?

47. Ko Simpson - Promising rookie year. Injured all of 2nd year. Can he return & be a good starter?

48. George Wilson - Surprise position switch & did well. Lacks speed. Could improve as a tackler & fits better as a backup

49. Bryan Scott - Experienced depth player, but could be better in coverage

50. John Wendling - Good special teamer. Needs to improve as a safety

51. Rian Lindell - Has become one of the best kickers in the NFL. Needs to improve kickoffs

52. Brian Moorman - Good punter, but didn't have as many booming kicks last year compared to previous seasons

53. Ryan Neill - Long Snapper could lose job if Bills find someone else

OTHER NOTEABLES

CB Ashton Youboty - Has the tools to be good. Coverage skills so far have been very underwhelming

RB Xavier Omon -Big back who has a shot to make it here.Coming from a 1AA school makes him a practice squad possibility

TE Courtney Anderson- Tall & has experience. Makes alot of mistakes on the field. Cut from multiple teams last season

S Jon Corto- Good athlete. Can he cover NFL quality players? Can he make it as an NFL player?

WR Justin Jenkins- Good special teamer. Can he get open enough to stay in the NFL?

WR Jason Jones- Has good height, speed, & hands. Needs to get stronger & improve route running

G Jason Whittle- Has NFL starting experience & plays physical. Lacks bulk & overall skill

OT Matt Murphy- Converted from TE. Does he have the ability to make a successful conversion to OT?

DL Jason Jefferson- Has been here a while as fringe player. Influx of new talent on DL will make it tough to make roster

CB/S Kennard Cox - Good vs run, but slow. May be a practice squad player

QB Gibran Hamdan - Has some skill but lacks true NFL experience

BILLS 53 - With Brief writeup of each player

Here's my guess as of right now...

A good read, as ther are so few actual Bills football posts to read right now. However, the Bills are a long way from establishing a 53 man roster.

But, just to get into the spirit of the thing...why do you think Dwayne Wright will beat out Xavier Omon?

I hope Wright makes the team, because I think the guy is a diamond in the rough, but most of the things I have read about Wright, imply that he had a bad rookie season, and that the Bills think they got a steal in Omon. Personally, after going back and watching most of the games from this past season, I don't think Wright played all that badly, with what little time he was given. Like most rookie NFL RB's, he needs to improve his blocking, but he ran the ball okay. If he progresses enough on some of the finer aspects of the game, I think Wright could be a great compliment to Lynch and Jackson. He isn't a super versatile runner, style wise, but he was a bull in college, when healthy, and a decent receiver out of the backfield.

Here's my guess as of right now...

A good read, as ther are so few actual Bills football posts to read right now. However, the Bills are a long way from establishing a 53 man roster.

But, just to get into the spirit of the thing...why do you think Dwayne Wright will beat out Xavier Omon?

I hope Wright makes the team, because I think the guy is a diamond in the rough, but most of the things I have read about Wright, imply that he had a bad rookie season, and that the Bills think they got a steal in Omon. Personally, after going back and watching most of the games from this past season, I don't think Wright played all that badly, with what little time he was given. Like most rookie NFL RB's, he needs to improve his blocking, but he ran the ball okay. If he progresses enough on some of the finer aspects of the game, I think Wright could be a great compliment to Lynch and Jackson. He isn't a super versatile runner, style wise, but he was a bull in college, when healthy, and a decent receiver out of the backfield.

It will be close & could go either way, but I heard that Wright got alot stronger this offseason. Also Oman is coming from 1AA gives Wright an edge. I guess we'll have to wait & see how it goes.

Good, well thought out post. i have a few disagreements however...

1. if we keep 5 RB's, it'll be 4 HBs and 1 FB. i cant see us keeping both viti and barnes. But i could see the bills carrying Lynch, Jackson, Omon, and Wright

2. On the OL, you left out Whittle. I think him and Murphy make the squad, with Bell/huggins and preston being cut.

3. I think the Bills will keep 6 CBs and only 6 LBs, not 5 and 7 as you have. On my list, costanzo gets cut and Youboty stays on.

my sig has mine :ph34r:

- I think they keep Preston this year and put Felton on PS till next year when they get rid of Preston and promote Felton to roster...only because Preston has more experience in nfl and Felton might need 1 year to get NFL ready...IF Felton looks good in preseason he might push Preston out this year.

- highly doubt they keep 2 FB's...Viti gets the job

- Whittle over Bell..Bell will join Felton on PS this year to get experience

- Bills seem to like Jefferson so I see him staying on DL since he can dual role

- keep Jenkins at WR for hieght and ST

- I see Bills keeping alot of CB's this year including Youboty

my sig has mine :blink:

- I think they keep Preston this year and put Felton on PS till next year when they get rid of Preston and promote Felton to roster...only because Preston has more experience in nfl and Felton might need 1 year to get NFL ready...IF Felton looks good in preseason he might push Preston out this year.

I disagree regarding Preston. I think Preston will not be on the team on opening day.

Per your sig, is Wendling practice squad eligible?

Actually I dont know..not real familiar with the rules of eligibility...I just figured he has experience and would be good to keep arround incase the team needed him

I disagree regarding Preston. I think Preston will not be on the team on opening day.

well like I said..if Felton shows hes capable to backup on this OL then yea Preston will be gone before season starts...But if he dosent then either they keep Preston or they get a veteran to take his place...I just cant rule Preston gone till I see someone better...the only other thing I can think of is that the Bills feel that this line will stay healthy and feel that Felton will get better experience actually being on the roster..

Dose anyone Know if Felton can long-snap?... hate to see a spot taken by a guy that can only snap the ball (Ryan Neil)

I think we have to have 4 rbs on the roster like we had last year. So Omon makes it, imo.

Bell seems almost certainly destined for the practice squad. The Bills have been pretty clear they view him as a long term project.

Felton making the roster would be a surprise - he'd have to beat out Whittle or Preston - possible, but he apparently has a lot of work to do as a pass blocker.

Pretty sure we'll keep 3 qbs.

I think your defensive side is pretty spot on. I do doubt Blake Costanza makes the team though, and I kind of think the Bills will give Youboty the benefit of the doubt this year.

I doubt we'll run 2 QBs on the roster; it'd be 3 most likely with Hamdan having best shot at being #3.

J.P. his contract will expire next year, his agent allready indicated that he wanted a trade for this year. That leaves him as leaving the team more then likely for next year.

If we'd go with only two QB's on the roster then that would take us down to having only one QB on the roster for next year.

Hamdan has a 2 year contract under his belt, doesnt have PS eligibility anymore and has 3 years of playing experience in NFL Europe (level of play between college and NFL, see J-T O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill to see what this means then keep in mind that Hamdan owned both these guys back in Europe).

Drone is a rookie and has full PS eligibility.

Baker has 2 years of PS under his belt without any playtime since college and has one year of eligibility remaining.

2008 is a season we'll need to have 3 QB's on the roster looking forward to 2009, you don't want to start 2009 season with only one QB who knows the system.

Adding this info up it comes down to these three guys battling it out for 3rd QB spot. If Hamdan doesn't win this battle he'll be cut and that'll be the end of his career in the NFL; but more likely then not Drone and Baker are brought in to battle for a PS job with Hamdan securely in the 3rd QB spot. read back on the comments the coaches have had about Hamdan, they are very pleased having him. Then either Drone or Baker land the PS prepping for 3rd QB in 2009 and Hamdan moving to second QB in 2009.

I doubt we'll run 2 QBs on the roster; it'd be 3 most likely with Hamdan having best shot at being #3.

J.P. his contract will expire next year, his agent allready indicated that he wanted a trade for this year. That leaves him as leaving the team more then likely for next year.

If we'd go with only two QB's on the roster then that would take us down to having only one QB on the roster for next year.

Hamdan has a 2 year contract under his belt, doesnt have PS eligibility anymore and has 3 years of playing experience in NFL Europe (level of play between college and NFL, see J-T O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill to see what this means then keep in mind that Hamdan owned both these guys back in Europe).

Drone is a rookie and has full PS eligibility.

Baker has 2 years of PS under his belt without any playtime since college and has one year of eligibility remaining.

2008 is a season we'll need to have 3 QB's on the roster looking forward to 2009, you don't want to start 2009 season with only one QB who knows the system.

Adding this info up it comes down to these three guys battling it out for 3rd QB spot. If Hamdan doesn't win this battle he'll be cut and that'll be the end of his career in the NFL; but more likely then not Drone and Baker are brought in to battle for a PS job with Hamdan securely in the 3rd QB spot. read back on the comments the coaches have had about Hamdan, they are very pleased having him. Then either Drone or Baker land the PS prepping for 3rd QB in 2009 and Hamdan moving to second QB in 2009.

Many teams throughout the league have been using only 2 QB's on their active roster & using the practice squad for their 3rd QB. The Bills only kept 2 QB's on their active roster at the start of last season.

Many teams throughout the league have been using only 2 QB's on their active roster & using the practice squad for their 3rd QB. The Bills only kept 2 QB's on their active roster at the start of last season.

I know, and it would make sense if you just look at that. But if you look further then that you'll see that Hamdan can't be on the PS anymore, current signs say the coaches are still very keen on him (ran second team on OTA2 and OTA3). It's a battle between Baker and Hamdan; if Hamdan wins that very clearly then coaches will opt for 3 QB this season. Ideally Hamdan ends up pushing Edwards giving us a good backup for next year/ If Baker manages to impress and challenge Hamdan then I see a good possibility that coaches opt for Baker on PS and cut Hamdan. So far Hamdan seems to be his impressive self, with little to no news about Baker. We'll see how this develops when full contact drills start and a true indicator will be the amount of play time Hamdan gets in the pre-season games and his performance in those (finally you guys will be to see him as well).

Edit: poasting is an art...

To complete the scenarios; if Hamdan doesn't push Ewards enough (i.e. doesnt show enough second QB quality) but still clearly whoops Baker and Drone manages to be near enough Baker his level of play I can see both Hamdan and Baker being cut and Drone held onto for PS because of his upside (read 3 more years of PS eligibility) and deal with the backup QB situation next year (possibly through the draft).

Bottomline if Hamdan performs well enough I see us going with 3 QB's on the roster this season in all other scenarios 2 is more likely.

Keep in mind tho the number of injuries in camp last year... we needed that extra spot as well as the long snapper spot too

I doubt they carry 6 FB/H-back/TEs on the roster. I think/hope there will be some surprises as that would be an indication that the front office is actually bringing in better talent than some of the street free agents pressed into action last year so those players become expendable.