McKelvin's Special Teams Utility

Everything I've read and seen about the guy obviously screams top-threat returner. He's the kind of rookie who on most teams, would be given the KR/PR jobs the day he put pads on in the summer. However, I just don't see how we can justify removing either McGee or Parrish from their roles. Obviously having too many weapons is never a bad thing, but I'd hate to squeeze out one of the most prolific players at returning kicks/punts of ALL-TIME simply to plug in the fast, new rookie.

McGee is 18th ALL-TIME in KR avg. and 4th among active players. He is also one TD away from being in 1st place ALL-TIME in KR touchdowns!! The guy just has a gift for finding the right seam and even when he doesn't break it all, how many times has he given us the ball between the 40s multiple times in a game? Traditionally the argument for taking him out of this role was that he was too valuable to defense to risk injury. Ironically, I think McKelvin's arrival weakens this point. McKelvin will obviously be expected to exceed McGee's ability as a CB in a reasonably short time. And I think Greer played very well last year. Losing McGee to injury is not the blow to our secondary it once was.

I shouldn't even have to make a case for Parrish. The guy is 3rd all-time in PR avg. and he is just electrifying. I can't possibly see McKelvin (or anyone not named "Hester" -- and even there it's close) duplicating or surpassing his production as a PR.

So what happens? Who loses the numbers game? It would seem a waste of talent to leave any of these guys off the field on special teams, but I can't imagine messing with what we have now.

Everything I've read and seen about the guy obviously screams top-threat returner. He's the kind of rookie who on most teams, would be given the KR/PR jobs the day he put pads on in the summer. However, I just don't see how we can justify removing either McGee or Parrish from their roles. Obviously having too many weapons is never a bad thing, but I'd hate to squeeze out one of the most prolific players at returning kicks/punts of ALL-TIME simply to plug in the fast, new rookie.

McGee is 18th ALL-TIME in KR avg. and 4th among active players. He is also one TD away from being in 1st place ALL-TIME in KR touchdowns!! The guy just has a gift for finding the right seam and even when he doesn't break it all, how many times has he given us the ball between the 40s multiple times in a game? Traditionally the argument for taking him out of this role was that he was too valuable to defense to risk injury. Ironically, I think McKelvin's arrival weakens this point. McKelvin will obviously be expected to exceed McGee's ability as a CB in a reasonably short time. And I think Greer played very well last year. Losing McGee to injury is not the blow to our secondary it once was.

I shouldn't even have to make a case for Parrish. The guy is 3rd all-time in PR avg. and he is just electrifying. I can't possibly see McKelvin (or anyone not named "Hester" -- and even there it's close) duplicating or surpassing his production as a PR.

So what happens? Who loses the numbers game? It would seem a waste of talent to leave any of these guys off the field on special teams, but I can't imagine messing with what we have now.

I'm guessing that he will be out there with McGee on kick offs and Parrish on punts, Leonard was the up guy alot last year on punts.

I see McGee and Parrish keeping their special team spots. But I think McKelvin will be used like J. Leonard was last season. He will come in if parrish or McGee cant play for whatever reason. And probubly be the other deep man on kickoffs.

I'm guessing that he will be out there with McGee on kick offs and Parrish on punts, Leonard was the up guy alot last year on punts.

I agree he'll be there on kickoffs and it will be a case of "choose your poison" for the opposing kicker. I can't imagine any kicker relishing the idea of kicking to those guys. I wonder if they'll sometimes kick it out of bounds and give the Bills the ball at the 40 because they believe that's the best option. :blink:

As has been mentioned it's not a bad problem to have. April probably pees his pants in delight every time he thinks about it. :thumbsup:

Do you have a link for these stats? Just curious if the are NFL records or team records.

Do you have a link for these stats? Just curious if the are NFL records or team records.

NFL records....I usd pro-football-reference. One of the best stat compiling sites I've ever seen. Accurate as far as I can tell...they have counterparts for NBA, MLB, etc. too. Pretty tight...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

And just to make it easier:

PR Avg.

KR Avg.

KR TDs

McKelvin was a terror on returns in college and, IMO, the icing on the cake for his early selection. I think we'll see him on both PR & KR's this year. It takes away the logic "Don't kick it to (X)". Now, the opposition gets to pick their poison!

;):ph34r:

i think there will be lots of directional and placed kicks to prevent the TD, if mclovin in on the pitch then he might make a 35 yard line type start be more like a 48 yard line type start.

and if our D is good we will be forcing a lot more punts -- roscoe will be able to share the load.

NFL records....I usd pro-football-reference. One of the best stat compiling sites I've ever seen. Accurate as far as I can tell...they have counterparts for NBA, MLB, etc. too. Pretty tight...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

And just to make it easier:

PR Avg.

KR Avg.

KR TDs

That site has some good info. Thanks for the link.

Well I think we all agree that its a good problem to have, not that I really value his opinion but when asked "which rookie will have the biggest imapct in 2007?" Todd McShay answered with McKelvin; he said that beside D. Hester, Leodis would instantly become the best return man in the NFL. Didn't McKelvin tie or break Hesters NCAA record with 7 punt returns for TDs? Can't wait to see him play.

Are you guys really sure that you want to risk putting a #11 on return teams? I know that Nate at times returned kicks. Don't know his stats, but he did a great job. He was easily the most athletic guy on the team, but I held my breath watching in terms of injury risk.

Whitner is a pretty good tackler, but should he too be on the field for special teams? These guys get hurt an awful lot. It is one thing to lose Josh Stamer to injury. It is another to lose your top draft picks, especially when the guys we have are doing a good job.

Just thinking out loud..........

Are you guys really sure that you want to risk putting a #11 on return teams? I know that Nate at times returned kicks. Don't know his stats, but he did a great job. He was easily the most athletic guy on the team, but I held my breath watching in terms of injury risk.

Whitner is a pretty good tackler, but should he too be on the field for special teams? These guys get hurt an awful lot. It is one thing to lose Josh Stamer to injury. It is another to lose your top draft picks, especially when the guys we have are doing a good job.

I agree with that but it certinly doesnt hurt to have your best playmakers on the fieldas often as possible

you put your players in where they can make the greatest impact on the game.

if leodis can have hester like moments, he can change the game on a return. he's a natural at it, so he should avoid getting hurt.

deon was a natural at it too, never got hurt doing it really.