The Detroit Pistons

I think Stuckey tried to miss the second FT but just didn't do a good enough job of it. It looked like Billups was in his ear before the first FT and he seemed nod that he understood, so I don't know exactly what happened.

I don't disagree that the Celts' late-game strategy was smart, I just didn't like it - whether it was Bah-stan, De-Troy-It or Cleveland doing it. I just hate watching the last two minutes of an NBA game run 20 minutes because of the fouls, the 15 timeouts, the clock not starting until the ball is touched in-bounds, etc.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a diehard Celts fan, I like Van Gundy. Mike Breen might be the worst pbp guy in all of sport. He doesn't seem to understand no one wants his effing opinions. That's the job of a color commentator, not a play by play announcer.

VanGuny is awesome.

Mark Jackson: "Allen Iverson might be the best pound for pound player ever".

JVG: "What are you talking about?"

MJ: "I said pound for pound".

5 minutes later:

JVG: "I'm trying to lose some weight so I can become a better pound for pound announcer".

After playing two Game 7s, the Celtics will get a needed break before hosting Kobe Bryant and the Lakers on Thursday night.

“We’re emotionally drained,” Garnett said. (LINK)

Aw, that's nice of the NBA to give the Celts a chance to recover from their third straight long series...5+ days off before starting the finals? Are you kidding me?

The Finals were scheduled to start 6/5 regardless of when the Celtics/Pistons series ended.

Missed the sarcasm there, did ya? It was more of a shot at the NBA's ridiculous playoff scheduling, which still looks bad in the final round - opener on Thursday, two days off between Games 1 and 2 (Sunday) then one day off between Games 2 (Sunday) and 3 (Tuesday) - not to mention having to throw cross-country travel in that one day off - and then one day off again between 3 (Tues) and 4 (Thursday.)

This doesn't even get into the stupidity of starting the games at 9 p.m.

I am, obviously, thrilled that the Celtics are in the finals. It seems the prevailing opinion is that it was pre-determined, by David Stern, that the Celtics and Lakers would be in the finals. I wonder if people actually watch the games. The Celtics overcame horrilbe officiating the last two games, to pull out this series.

As it turns out, the better team won. Don't want to harp on the Van Gundy anti-Celtics bias so much, but why didn't he, Jackson, Breen, or any of the ESPN studio guys say the obvious? That being, the Pistons are just a talented, but very lazy team? They had their nice little run, with a big assist from the officials, in the third quarter. But, just look at the way they stood around on offensive possesions, not going after rebounds. This is where the Celtics destroyed them. Were the Pistons' players in on the fix? It got to the point where the Celtics seemed to shy about showing any defensive resistance, because the refs were blowing their whistle like a bunch of drunks. I don't know that I recall any team having as many puzzling offensive fouls called against them, as the Celtics were in this series...

Anyways, the Pistons are gone...bring on the Lakers...this should be fun! Celtics in 7!

I'm looking for this to go 7 as well. Looking at LA on paper I don't really understand how they're are as good as they are, but they're obviously playing the best ball right now and Phil vs. Doc is a massive coaching mismatch. When you have a 66-16 team with homecourt who is a considerable underdog, that has the makings of a great series though.

I will never cheer (and never have) for Boston because of what the NBA and Stern did to the BFLO Braves... Just horrible... And now look what they are doing to the Sonics. I hope LAL kicks the crap out of them.

If it hadn't been the Braves, at that time, it would have been another team. And, I don't think the Celtics are taking any part in the Sonics leaving Seattle...or did I miss something?

Rooting for the Lakers over the Celtics, IMO, is like rooting for the Cowboys over the Steelers, in the Super Bowl.

If it hadn't been the Braves, at that time, it would have been another team. And, I don't think the Celtics are taking any part in the Sonics leaving Seattle...or did I miss something?

Rooting for the Lakers over the Celtics, IMO, is like rooting for the Cowboys over the Steelers, in the Super Bowl.

If I'm not mistaken the common thread in both moves is Stern - I think he was counsel for the league when the Braves left and he's in charge now that the Sonics are fleeing Seattle.

If I'm not mistaken the common thread in both moves is Stern - I think he was counsel for the league when the Braves left and he's in charge now that the Sonics are fleeing Seattle.

Two points on the move of the Sonics:

1. How could the prior owner of the Sonics(I believe the founder of Starbucks?), a Seattle man, sell the team to someone from Ok. City...a town pushing to land an NBA franchise of its own? What did he think the guy was going to do? He should have never sold the team to this guy if he cared at all about the city that helped make him rich.

2. Why would Stern approve the sale of the team--because he was upset with the city of Seattle because they wouldn't pony up the money to build a new arena. The city had already publicly funded a new football and baseball stadium, so Stern felt his league deserved a piece of this action as well. When he didn't get his way, he couldn't have been happier to approve the sale of the Sonics to someone who wouldn't keep the francise in Seattle. A pretty childish and selfish move, to say the least.

In both cases, I'd rather root for a meteor to hit the stadium/arena ...

In both cases, I'd rather root for a meteor to hit the stadium/arena ...

Et tu Lori?

One thing people seem to forget, the NBA was on the verge of collapse when the Braves were moved to San Diego. And the city of Buffalo itself was gasping for air. The Braves were not a huge draw in Buffalo, despite being a very entertaining, offensive team. If they hadn't moved, they likely would have folded.

I guess I can't justify my love for the Celtics here, being born and raised in Buffalo. But let me explain, growing up, my favorite teams in each sport were the Buffalo Braves, Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres and Montreal Expos, in that order. I didn't really follow all the behind the scenes stuff back then, I just loved my teams, and wanted them to win.

When the Braves left town, I was devistated...I tried to follow the Clippers and the Bucks for a year or two, but, at that time, it was impossible to see them play. Bob McAdoo, my favorite Buffalo Brave, joined the Celtics. The Celtics were on the verge of great things, and, maybe most importantly, it was the dawning of the cable tv era in America. All of the sudden, we got the Boston super station. I could watch every Celtics game...I could see more Celtics games than I could the Braves when the were in town. Bird, DJ, McHale and the Cheif were awesome. I lost interest in baseball over the years. But, the Celtics were, and still are, the only one of "my teams" that I have ever experienced the thrill of pulling for a championship team. To think, if we had gotten the Clevland superstation in Buffalo, I would be a Cavaliers fan!

I will always appreciate that..Bird is my all time favorite athlete, in any sport...I am very excited about this series...I never would have imagined, just a year ago, the Celtics would get this far, coming off a 24 win season. How anyone who loves sports could not root for Paul Pierce, is beyond me. I don't understand the love affair that America has with the Lakers. They and the Cowboys have been the longest running soap operas in sports...I loathe them both.

Wow! I was somewhat shocked to hear that Flip Saunders was fired as Pistons head coach today.

Does this come as a surprise to any of you Pistons fans out there?

not really...bounced from three straight conference finals....that's bad...and according to

Dumars "Make no mistake, everybody is in play right now...There are no sacred cows here. You lose that sacred cow status when you lose three straight years." Sounds like a prelude to dismantling...too bad, there are a good team.